SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hangover vs. Withdrawal (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/406762-hangover-vs-withdrawal.html)

VigilanceNow 03-24-2017 04:57 AM

Hangover vs. Withdrawal

Hi All,

As I mentioned in a previous post, I.binged hard in my relapsed 2 days ago... I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this -- it seems that I no longer get "normal" hangovers anymore; o end up feeling withdrawal symptoms. In addition to all the symptoms you find on Google re: withdrawal (shakiness, unsteady, problems regulating.body temp etc), I also have had this strange unpleasant taste in my mouth despite having brushed my teeth several times. Is anyone familiar with this?

48heath 03-24-2017 05:09 AM

Yes ,it is the relentless progression of Alcoholism.

D122y 03-24-2017 05:14 AM

Vig,

My hangovers lasted a week. When I quit, I felt hungover every morning, but it would go away in a few minutes.

I still get sleep hangovers now. Too much internally produced malatonin. But, they go away in minutes. It is a good thing.

If you want to quit, that is half the win right there.

Thanks.

Maudcat 03-24-2017 06:00 AM

Hi, VN. Welcome. I remember well the iron taste in my mouth. Good luck going forward. Here when you need us.

Ghostlight1 03-24-2017 11:03 AM

I know what you mean. A normal drinker would not recognize the alcoholic hangover. If a normal drinker woke up feeling like I did, during my really heavy drinking period, they would go to the ER. I went to work.
Believe me, if you keep drinking they will only get worse until you are in withdrawal and need a drink to stave them off.

My advice would be to quit now. All I have to do sometimes is remember those hangovers and that gives me a reason not to drink.
Best to you.

thomas11 03-24-2017 11:06 AM

Yes. I also reached a point where I never got hungover, only mild to moderate withdrawals depending on how much I drank. It is my belief that once you cross that line, you don't go back to having hangovers. Its not good. But if you quit drinking you obviously don't have to worry about it.

Forward12 03-24-2017 11:24 AM

Things only get worse and worse if you keep drinking. Unless you want to become on a first name basis with the medical staff at your local ER, i'd quit now.

MsCooterBrown 03-24-2017 11:43 AM

I agree with Ghostlight. I am about to copy a post I made in another forum about my last hangover. Since this last hangover I have not drank and will not...scared me to death.
I would hang on to this hangover of yours. My last bender scared me sober. I woke up...and all I could do was stare. I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked SICK... I was sick. That whole day I stared and shook then dry heaved.... I have NEVER had a hangover that bad before. I realized alcohol no longer works for me...It used to be fun to "check out" with shots and drinks...then it became what I call The Maintenance Plan. Turned into something I had to do to function and maintain. My brain told me that. I no longer believe it. I hope you can let it go Rocketrocket. I thought I was going to die. It scared me straight. Give it up and don't look back!!!

WizingUp 03-24-2017 11:53 AM

Yup, you aren't going to make them go away at this point. Every time you drink heavy this will happen. It gets to the point where some people can have a beer and get withdrawal symptoms.

Dee74 03-24-2017 02:49 PM

Read up on Kindling

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

halfalife 03-24-2017 03:02 PM

The change between hangover and withdrawal is when I noticed my body and brain had shifted in the processing of alcohol.

Hangover focuses on expelling the poison, whereas the withdrawal process is your body sending signals of a new physiological need for a substance, despite obvious signs that it's a toxin...and to go along with that, your brain and neurotransmitters have essentially rewired themselves to rely upon it.

It takes different quantities over different spans of time for all of us, but I would gather we all end up near the same spot of feeling like hell and noticing that something is very very wrong.