SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sick of it (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/405737-sick.html)

kel08 03-06-2017 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by madgirl (Post 6356083)
If people here seem gruff it is because they see you drowning and they're throwing out a life preserver with a sense of urgency.
I got pretty pissed off at people here at first, but I listened to them and did what they said.
It is all up to you.

I also found some comments hard to swallow when I first joined, I thought people were being a bit too tough. But now realise its just because they cared enough to even comment, and they know what exactly what they are talking about. We don't like to be accountable for our actions, we want them to be someone elses fault and take the blame away. But we cant and I can assure you everyone here wants to help and support you if you can be available here to let us. Seriously, there is some great advice here and I wouldn't be over a month sober without the people who jolted me into reality right here. I hope you come back and let us know how you re doing today.

ljc267 03-06-2017 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by lexylou (Post 6355270)
I came here for help. I didn't really need the 'tough love' approach. Yes I am low, the lowest I've ever been in fact.

To be fair, you did ask for help. Most times people offer help in they way in which they were helped. If AA helped them get sober then AA is the way to go. If someone told them to get their head out of their *ass and that got them sober then they will probably do say the same.

While you may have taken it as everyone being tough on you I think a lot of times we see ourselves in the person wanting help, and will say what has helped us.

just my 2 cents.

Bird615 03-06-2017 09:13 AM

A woman came to visit me when I was at my lowest and in a detox centre. She told me that one day I would be able to look people in the eye and that hooked me into trying sobriety. I was at the point where I could not stand to go any lower, I just could not take it any more and I hated myself so I was willing to finally to start following the suggestions of other people who had gone before me.

Some of it I didn't like, but when it came down to the choice of do this, or go back drinking, I followed the suggestion. Not because I really wanted to, but because I was terrified of the alternative.

It took hard work and blind faith and one foot in front of the other and time before I started to feel better. Even though things do and always will still go wrong and there's upsets and various crises to deal with, it's still way better than when I was drinking. And I can look people in the eye again without feeling like the lowest of the low. I like myself now.

You can have this too.

MIRecovery 03-06-2017 11:20 AM

On my road of recovery I would say the advice I least wanted to hear was the most beneficial