Notices

Sick of it

Old 03-04-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick of it

I'm sick of myself. Keep repeating the same old thing. Boyfriend just left me- Probably because I drink too much. I just can't seem to get to the place I want to be in life. Constantly getting smashed and ruining everything. I have just ruined the best relationship of my life because of it.
And how did I respond to the breakup? Yes drinking... Can someone please help me? I'm sick of doing this...
Old 03-04-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You could stop.

Really. Put down the drink, spend a lot of time here. It worked for me - and lots of others. I haven't had a run-in with anyone in years.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel as I used to feel just like you.

The only advice I can give you is quit drinking. That is the only way you will get you back.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

lexy, write your post on a slip of paper, carry it with you always, and read it when you start to think you need a drink. We are our own worst enemies, especially when it comes to drinking, so when you are struggling, that's the time you need to reach out the most!
Old 03-04-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking will never make anything better under any circumstances. It's a lose lose situation. You're tired of ruining everything good in your life? You know what's causing it.
We change when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing. Yes, you can stop drinking. And you don't have to struggle alone.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We can only help you so much, at some point you need to help yourself. Get selfish, make sobriety the most important thing in your life for awhile. Sorry for what brings you here, but drinking will only compound the existing problems in your life.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Now what?

Originally Posted by lexylou View Post
Can someone please help me?
Help you what?

Understand?
Stop?

What are you sick of? Do you even know?

Are you sick of creating negative consequences for yourself when you drink?
Are you sick of drinking your $?
Are you sick of feeling guilty?
Are you sick of how you feel knowing others are disappointed/hurt/upset with you?
Are you sick of feeling sh!tty - in every possible way - the day after?

Can you think of one healthy / positive thing drinking does for you?

Sometimes, it helps to write this stuff down.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just lost my relationship this week too, so I sympathise, not a result of being drunk directly but of my previous history resulting in him not trusting me when I said I hadn't had a drink in a situation I couldn't prove. My word meant nothing anymore from too much previous damage. I lost the only person I ever felt was 'home'.ugh anyway...

The only way to fix your life and change your life, is to stop drinking, there isn't another way, Stop repeating the cycle , I know how patronising it sounds to say to just stop drinking, but in reality, that is the ONLY solution to your issue. Drinking the pain away wont work, you know it wont, and it wont make it better.....so whats the damn point? They say the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome. If that doesnt sum up alcoholism and how we behave around drink, I dont know what does. so why not try something different and see what that brings?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did that sober. Plan for a day.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

lexylou, id like to say we could help ya stop drinkin, but when ya pop in every 5-6 months when youre at a low(and it appears that low is getting lower) theres not much we can do. we cant help when youre not here lookin for suggestions/advise. we can only help when we know, and a few posts every few months...welp...what are we supposed to do?
PLEASE!! make stopping drinking and staying stopped your #1 priority. doing that will probably require a plan/program. there are many places here that show the different plans/programs.
keep posting!

i had to go through chemo. got very sick through it.
how could my oncoligist help me with the side effects if i didnt tell him the side effects i was experiencing? if i just kept quiet, i would have suffered without having to to suffer
Old 03-04-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lexylou.

Why not become a regular poster and check out our Class of March support group?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-one-5.html

all you need to do to join is post.

Do you have any kind of a recovery plan? I think that's vital:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

There are some more great ideas here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-04-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe anyone can get and stay sober but it is not magic. It takes a plan, hard work, commitment and a willingness to change.

If you want recovery bad enough it is within your grasp. The question you need to ask yourself is, "Am I willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober."

For me that was seeing a doctor, professional treatment, going to a lot of AA meetings, getting a sponsor and working the steps. It also ment a 1000 other changes in my life that are on going even today.

I found I didn't get sick in a day and I didn't get well in one either but each day I didn't drink and each day I worked on being the person I knew I could be I grew in my recovery
Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I came here for help. I didn't really need the 'tough love' approach. Yes I am low, the lowest I've ever been in fact.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey exylou

Not all of us are great communicators, and not everyone will hit what you feel is the right tone.

Try and look at it like this though - everyone here has been through the mill (some of us more than once) and everyone's taken time out to try and help you with their advice.

Everyone really does want the best for you

It sounds like you're in a pretty crappy loop right now and need some guidance - maybe there's some gold beneath the gruffness of some of these posts?

D
Old 03-04-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey me too! You'll get through it!
I came here for help. I didn't really need the 'tough love' approach. Yes I am low, the lowest I've ever been in fact.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Not that your suffering is anything to sniff at, but just saying that I think we'll survive, somehow.
Originally Posted by CrackleLog View Post
Hey me too! You'll get through it!
Old 03-05-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Lexylou, sorry to hear you're not doing to great!!

But you're not alone in this, there many here on SR that are in your corner, start small and make a few changes, and go from there, that's all any of us did.

Don't beat yourself up, we can't change any of our pasts, but we can write a new chapter to our future.

You can do this!!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Now what?

You asked for help. Run with it.

Feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

lets keep the criticism constructive guys

D
Old 03-05-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please stop drinking.
The "want to" feelings persist for some time, but the only way to make that voice go quiet is to starve it (don't drink).
If people here seem gruff it is because they see you drowning and they're throwing out a life preserver with a sense of urgency.
I got pretty pissed off at people here at first, but I listened to them and did what they said.
Life can be sooooooo much better
It is all up to you.