SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Do you choose a "quit date" to stop drinking? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/400375-do-you-choose-quit-date-stop-drinking.html)

DeadAndBloated 11-15-2016 06:18 AM

Wow - i just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to reply and share your stories and insights. Every single reply was meaningful for me. I'm going to read them over and over and over today. I'm also going to find a meeting. Is today the day? I don't know yet. It might be.

I tried telling myself i could moderate - 1 drink per day. That worked about 2x a week. So i know that's no longer an option.

Xo

Mklove 11-15-2016 06:52 PM

The thing that happened to really seal the deal was feeling good every day, I mean my heartburn and headaches, nausea and bad eating habits virtually disappeared. That's intoxicating.

noneever 11-15-2016 10:25 PM

I've chosen a quit day many times in the past. There was always a reason to put it off when the day came.
I think you just have to take a leap of faith and do it. Today.

bobquin 11-15-2016 11:09 PM

Like many others have said, my quit date "chose" me, not the other way around.

I originally planned to enter detox on Thursday, 9/29 (because it was a convenient date for work schedule, etc.) On the evening of 9/25, my husband found me vomiting blood in our kitchen sink.

I entered detox the following day and have been sober since.

It's been my experience that the more time you spend picking a "quit date," the more time you spend creating/finding reasons to postpone the date. Best of luck to you!

BarbieKen 11-15-2016 11:20 PM

I'm with the others , my date chose me. I was a 55 year old woman who had a big ass drinking "problem". After New Years Eve I'd go into Rehab ( 1st timer).

I ended up checking into Kaiser Detox for 3 days, then going directly into an all women's Rehab for 30 days. That was Monday, November 12, 2012. Just celebrated 4 years of recovery! You can do this, your life will never be the same .... whooty - whooo!!! :c011:
:grouphug: Bobbi

Summerfall 11-15-2016 11:49 PM

Like everyone else here, my date also chose me. And if it also the first time I have actually not gone back.

Had chosen many quit dates but never stuck to them. That's been going on for years. Now I'm at 103 days :)

It took ending up in the hospital with alcohol induced acute pancreatitis. Thought they would just give me something and send me on my way as most ER visits seem to go, but not this time. When they moved me up into a room and told me I would be there for at least 5 days and how ****** I felt, I knew that was it. Also I always had a huge fear of seizures and felt safe that I was in a hospital and was completely honest with them about how much I drank and stuff. Etc. Feeling much better these days!

Notimetoloose 11-16-2016 03:56 AM

I always chose 'tomorrow',...then tomorrow would come and I would be resolute.... then as the day or days progressed I would be consumed with thoughts of alcohol and having a drink!.
Sometimes I would get a little time sober and sometimes I would fail but I never gave up. Good luck.

STDragon 11-16-2016 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by MidnightRider (Post 6207608)
I did not chose the date.
The day chose me...

Same. I stopped one day 'cause of how bad I felt, no real intention on stopping despite the internal struggle's I was having trying to quit. Didn't drink the next two days and thought hmmm.... lets go for it. Joined SR on the 6th day, never looked back.