SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Update on my journey (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/395815-update-my-journey.html)

Sinderos 08-10-2016 11:44 AM

Update on my journey

So I've been drinking. I have moved to a new state and took a job that has a lot less stress. The workload is not ridicously heavy. I love my new job, love my coworkers, love my apartment and love my new city. Best part is there is plenty of free or low cost outdoor activities. Perfect place to get sober.

How will I accomplish this? Short term. I have orientation tonight for a 21 day challenge for an exercise boot camp type thing. I'm going to use this 21 days to make a ton of lifestyle changes. No drinking is my main goal on top of the daily exercise.

I have joined a weekly sport to occupy my mind and some time. I'm actively visiting churches so I can get back involved in one. I'm planning an outing at a museum with a friend and a long lost cousin will be coming to spend the day one day.

These are all short term, but ultimately this is how I want my life to be. Eating healthy, exercising, outdoor activities, hanging out with friends and family. A "normal" life.

The only thing about my life right now that I'm not happy about is the drinking.

That is my update. In 21 days I hope I've lost some weight and feel awesome.

january161992 08-10-2016 12:03 PM

You didn't mention meetings.

Meetings/ program have continued to be the solution for me.

God bless

:You_Rock_

january161992 08-10-2016 12:05 PM

also i do an hour of hard cardio everyday so i can eat anything but not everything i want and stay skinny

Lightning Bug 08-10-2016 12:07 PM

Just a concern, the 21 day boot camp sounds like an accelerated diet and exercise program that will focus only on calories in and calories out. Now any alcoholic can fit his choice of beverage in a strict diet plan. My question is how are you going to focus on sobriety while in an intensive program like that?

Sinderos 08-10-2016 12:33 PM

It's not the typical boot camp. It is a 30 minute intensive circuit training workout. It also provides nutritional information.

I was feeling really excited. Now I'm not.

ElleDee 08-10-2016 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by january161992 (Post 6085238)
You didn't mention meetings.

Meetings/ program have continued to be the solution for me.

God bless

:You_Rock_

AA isn't for everyone.

nova84 08-10-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sinderos (Post 6085298)
It's not the typical boot camp. It is a 30 minute intensive circuit training workout. It also provides nutritional information.

I think your plans sound great. Perhaps people are suggesting that you incorporate some sobriety specific actions as well. I wish you well on your recovery journey x

Lightning Bug 08-10-2016 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by nova84 (Post 6085303)
I think your plans sound great. Perhaps people are suggesting that you incorporate some sobriety specific actions as well. I wish you well on your recovery journey x

That is all I wanted. Didn't mean to bring you down, just wanted you to think of ways to work a program while concentrating on your diet and exercise.

samantha14 08-10-2016 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sinderos (Post 6085213)
So I've been drinking. I have moved to a new state and took a job that has a lot less stress. The workload is not ridicously heavy. I love my new job, love my coworkers, love my apartment and love my new city. Best part is there is plenty of free or low cost outdoor activities. Perfect place to get sober.

How will I accomplish this? Short term. I have orientation tonight for a 21 day challenge for an exercise boot camp type thing. I'm going to use this 21 days to make a ton of lifestyle changes. No drinking is my main goal on top of the daily exercise.

I have joined a weekly sport to occupy my mind and some time. I'm actively visiting churches so I can get back involved in one. I'm planning an outing at a museum with a friend and a long lost cousin will be coming to spend the day one day.

These are all short term, but ultimately this is how I want my life to be. Eating healthy, exercising, outdoor activities, hanging out with friends and family. A "normal" life.

The only thing about my life right now that I'm not happy about is the drinking.

That is my update. In 21 days I hope I've lost some weight and feel awesome.

I think your plan sounds AMAZING !! Exercise definitely helps me stay sober!! And I agree with ElleDee - AA isn't for everyone....do what's right for you!! Good luck at the orientation!! :grouphug:

Soberwolf 08-10-2016 01:39 PM

Hi Sinderos I always wish you well your a old friend who I care about

Have you got a recovery plan to help

Delilah1 08-10-2016 01:55 PM

Welcome back Sinderos. I'm glad your new job/place are a good fit for you. Sounds like you have a good plan to stay healthy, lots of positive outputs. I am not in AA either, I do use SR on a daily basis to keep me accountable though. Perhaps checking in here daily, and joining the August class are two things you can add to your plan.

thomas11 08-10-2016 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sinderos (Post 6085298)

Why? You should feel great about it. Your attitude in the OP sounded good. New environment, new work, new ideas on what to do other than drink....go for it. I know for some people health is very important and one can usually drink or work out, but not both. So hopefully this bootcamp can get you focused on things other than drinking.

Dee74 08-10-2016 03:39 PM

Welcome back Sinderos :)

Those are good things to implement...but maybe you might need to consider some things that directly address the drinking as well?.

Did you ever make a recovery plan at all?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D

foryoumyson 08-10-2016 05:10 PM

I would do the 21 day challenge its good to push yourself and you will feel better in the long run. I just recently started eating well and working out . I havent felt this good physically since i was in high school . Plus its something to look forward to and stay dedicated to.

PurpleKnight 08-11-2016 10:01 AM

You can do this Sinderos, as always you have my support!! :)