SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New To This Site And Really Need Some Help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/394363-new-site-really-need-some-help.html)

EBIII 07-11-2016 11:12 AM

New To This Site And Really Need Some Help

Hi my name is Ed I'm 48 years old married with no kids and I am addicted to painkillers, Dilaudid to be more specific.

I've been messing around with painkillers for a good 10 years on and off but just recently, February to be exact I had shoulder surgery and was prescribed 4mg Dilaudid and since then my life has been spiraling out of control.

I have looked into treatment centers but all that I have found either do not accept my health insurance, are too expensive or have a deductible I can't afford. I am on SS disability and have a very limited fixed income.

I plan to start NA meetings asap but do not have a car so my choice of meetings is very limited.

I am at the end of my rope and I do not know what to do I really could use some advice or guidance. If anyone can offer some insight It would be much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Anna 07-11-2016 11:21 AM

Welcome and I'm glad you're here and seeking support.

It might be a good idea to talk to your dr who initially prescribed the medication and get his advice on how to get off the medication. He may be able to come up with a tapering plan for you.

You will also find lots of support here.

EBIII 07-11-2016 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 6039726)
Welcome and I'm glad you're here and seeking support.

It might be a good idea to talk to your dr who initially prescribed the medication and get his advice on how to get off the medication. He may be able to come up with a tapering plan for you.

You will also find lots of support here.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I haven't been under my surgeons care for 2 1/2 months now. I buy or steal the pills from wherever I can to be honest.

FreeOwl 07-11-2016 11:34 AM

welcome aboard!!

I don't have a lot of experience specifically with pain pills, but I have rid my life of a lot of addictions and this place helps me immensely.

NA sounds like a real good plan and in the meantime, if there is AA near you, attending those can help, too... anywhere you can turn to learn about recovery and get support is a positive.

Stick around and give it your all!!

EBIII 07-11-2016 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 6039742)
welcome aboard!!

I don't have a lot of experience specifically with pain pills, but I have rid my life of a lot of addictions and this place helps me immensely.

NA sounds like a real good plan and in the meantime, if there is AA near you, attending those can help, too... anywhere you can turn to learn about recovery and get support is a positive.

Stick around and give it your all!!

My support system is basically non existent at this point so anything helps and is greatly appreciated.

fred59 07-11-2016 11:47 AM

there is also LifRing meetings in Florida, they are great secular meetings we have many with pill addiction in LR and Smart Rovery meetings here in Ca. good luck

EBIII 07-11-2016 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by fred59 (Post 6039773)
there is also LifRing meetings in Florida, they are great secular meetings we have many with pill addiction in LR and Smart Rovery meetings here in Ca. good luck

Thanks I will look into Life Ring, anything helps.

Anna 07-11-2016 12:04 PM

This link will give you lots of options and information:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

EBIII 07-11-2016 12:11 PM

@Anna what is the SR free app called and where can I find it?

IvanMike 07-11-2016 12:18 PM

Pretty much all NA areas have a phoneline. You can get a ride to your first meeting, and there you can find some people with some clean time to give you rides to others.

Honestly, if you can get to the local ones, you can find rides to others as well. I got rides for my first two years to meetings I couldn't walk to and went every day.

I can tell you that there is no magic cure for being dope-sick, but you only have to do it once.

I used painkillers for a good long time myself, the last 8 years were all day every day.

Life is a lot different now.

Give yourself a break. Ask for help, and put in the effort. It's worth it, and so are you.

EBIII 07-11-2016 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by IvanMike (Post 6039822)
Pretty much all NA areas have a phoneline. You can get a ride to your first meeting, and there you can find some people with some clean time to give you rides to others.

Honestly, if you can get to the local ones, you can find rides to others as well. I got rides for my first two years to meetings I couldn't walk to and went every day.

I can tell you that there is no magic cure for being dope-sick, but you only have to do it once.

I used painkillers for a good long time myself, the last 8 years were all day every day.

Life is a lot different now.

Give yourself a break. Ask for help, and put in the effort. It's worth it, and so are you.

Thanks my friend.
I'm working on getting to my first meeting either tonight or tomorrow and then I'll take it from there. I just recently moved from NY where my entire family and all my friends are and getting around wouldn't have been an issue to Florida where I'm basically on my own and everything is much farther to get to which is making it a bit more difficult.

I'll figure it out eventually. I'm not giving up and I won't let the small issues become big ones. I'm tired of being on these ******** pills and I have had enough.

saoutchik 07-11-2016 12:59 PM

Hi EBlll, i'm from the UK so I can't be much practicle help but I want to wish you good luck - you have a good attitude which bodes well

Mountainmanbob 07-11-2016 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by EBIII (Post 6039714)

I plan to start NA meetings asap but do not have a car so my choice of meetings is very limited.

A lot of addicts also attend AA ?
If you ever mixed booze with your drugs AA may also be a fit ?

The Salvation Army offers a (hard line) long term no charge program.
I have a few friends who sobered up there.

MB

Soberwolf 07-11-2016 01:05 PM

Welcome nice to meet you

EBIII 07-11-2016 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob (Post 6039882)
A lot of addicts also attend AA ?
If you ever mixed booze with your drugs AA may also be a fit ?

The Salvation Army offers a (hard line) long term no charge program.
I have a few friends who sobered up there.

MB

I don't drink but I will check into the Salvation Army.

Thank you

EBIII 07-11-2016 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 6039874)
Hi EBlll, i'm from the UK so I can't be much practicle help but I want to wish you good luck - you have a good attitude which bodes well

Thank you my friend. Support is support, makes no difference to me where it comes from.

EBIII 07-11-2016 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Soberwolf (Post 6039884)
Welcome nice to meet you

Thank you

EBIII 07-11-2016 02:36 PM

I really want to thank everyone for their replies, insight and suggestions it kept me busy for the day. I'm looking forward to making some new friends on SR and sharing info.

least 07-11-2016 03:25 PM

Welcome to the family. :) I hope the support here and at NA can help you get clean for good. :)

Hevyn 07-11-2016 03:30 PM

Great to have you with us, Ed. It really helps to talk things over with people who understand & care. I'm glad you plan to go to a meeting. You sound ready to get free.