SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Heavy Heart (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/391961-heavy-heart.html)

madgirl 05-27-2016 06:27 PM

Heavy Heart

A friend from my husband and I's "party" days committed suicide - he was 45 years old, and has two teenagers.

He was a heavy drinker and lived alone (divorced).

Alcoholism plays for keeps.

Once you reach a certain point, there is no going back. I am now absolutely convinced that the path to sobriety is the best path - the only path - to take.

Jillian2563 05-27-2016 06:29 PM

😔

Zebra1275 05-27-2016 06:32 PM

I'm saddened to hear that.

Dee74 05-27-2016 06:43 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss madgirl.

D

ScottFromWI 05-27-2016 06:50 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you are here and seeking the better path.

madgirl 05-27-2016 06:57 PM

Initial reactions from people include anger (he had kids! How could he?!) but deep in our hearts, as addicts and/or alcoholics I think we understand that horrific bleak place, and coupled with impulsivity - well it just makes me so very sad.

MIRecovery 05-27-2016 07:01 PM

I have 3 Facebook friends that are dead. The did not have another recovery left. Every year their birthdays serve as a grim reminder that alcohol wants me dead.

I knew them sober and none of them planned on dying soon but alcohol had other ideas

least 05-27-2016 07:04 PM

I used to wake up wishing I were dead. :( Not caring that death is so permanent. And the damage it does when it's self inflicted. :( I'm so glad I know better now.

I am sorry for your loss. :hug: Glad that you know sobriety is the best way to live. :)

thomas11 05-27-2016 07:06 PM

Indeed it plays for keeps. Sorry to hear.

bluedog97 05-27-2016 07:11 PM

Another reminder of what could happen. Sorry for your loss, madgirl.

Delilah1 05-27-2016 07:16 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lightning Bug 05-27-2016 07:26 PM

That is hard to hear. I'm sorry.

aussieblue 05-27-2016 08:05 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

madgirl 05-27-2016 08:11 PM

Please remember that truly no man is an island - your life matters, you matter!! We must all fight that AV - it wants us destroyed.

IvanMike 05-27-2016 09:15 PM

This happens a lot, so I have to cut and paste from another thread today.

Originally Posted by IvanMike (Post 5971297)
Sorry for your loss.

That's what happens. A lot of addicts die every day. The difference with this one is that you knew his name.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the deaths of those I have met, and by the painful relapses of others. There is no truth to the idea that some must suffer and die in order for others to live and find recovery. If i needed examples of how bad addiction is, all i need to do is look back upon my own life.

So I can't tell you that you can make sense out of another pointless death from addiction. The best I can do is decide that I don't want to end up that way, leaving behind a group of people to ask why. I didn't need the reminder, but there it is.

To be honest, this is the part of recovery that I have a difficult time with. I didn't want to start to care about a group of people, some of whom were going to die of the disease or relapse and suffer other self-inflicted consequences. But it comes with the territory.

And to be honest, the rest of the territory is pretty darned good. So I'll take it.

Once you reach a certain point there is no going back, but that point is dead. If you're still alive, there is hope. (I do have a friend who it seems suffered brain damage last run, but there's still hope - he'll just may never be the same).

madgirl 05-27-2016 09:22 PM

Please allow me to clarify - I meant that once we progress in our addiction to a certain point, we can never go back to our early drinking days (can't moderate drinking).

Yes of course if an addict is still alive that person can "go back" to real life by choosing sobriety.

IvanMike 05-27-2016 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by madgirl (Post 5972468)
Please allow me to clarify - I meant that once we progress in our addiction to a certain point, we can never go back to our early drinking days (can't moderate drinking).

Yes of course if an addict is still alive that person can "go back" to real life by choosing sobriety.

gotcha.

As my friend Joe says, "I crossed this line in the sand, and when I realized what was happening I tried to go back, but when I looked, the line was gone".

fantail 05-27-2016 10:27 PM

I'm so sorry. I've lost people the same way.

emme99 05-27-2016 10:34 PM

So sorry for your loss madgirl :hug:

MythOfSisyphus 05-27-2016 11:07 PM

Sorry for your loss, Madgirl. Alcohol is indeed a cruel and implacable foe.:headbange