SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Its a mess !! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/385191-its-mess.html)

Nessa71 02-17-2016 05:25 AM

Its a mess !!

So I guess i have an alcohol problem.... I have to give it up before it destroys the rest of my life!

Whats motivated me? My partner has left me and its really shaken me up ! To make things worse my 8 year old daughter is watching all this happen,

Ive joined this site to help me through it and hopefully I can help other people too! This is a nasty disease I hate it...
SO hello day 1 of being sober
xx

sva777 02-17-2016 05:27 AM

Hi, welcome to SR. We have all been in similar situations and know how hard it is. I hope you find this place helpful.

Bird615 02-17-2016 05:31 AM

Welcome to SR, Nessa!

If you look around the site, you'll find lots of information to help you get and stay sober as well as get support from us.

sugarbear1 02-17-2016 05:34 AM

Glad you found us

least 02-17-2016 05:34 AM

Welcome to the family. :) You'll find lots of support here. :hug:

Plure 02-17-2016 05:46 AM

Welcome Nessa!

Surrender2win 02-17-2016 07:17 AM

Welcome aboard! You'll find a ton of support here. Read and post often. :)

Oroszlan 02-17-2016 08:34 AM

Welcome. Glad you are here. I just started day 3 sober and an feeling pretty good. I know how you feel. I have 3 daughters and I no longer want them to see me drink. I feel regret for not being the best father for them these past 10 years but that is in the past. Time to look forward to each day.

Nessa71 02-17-2016 08:36 AM

Good for you. Keep it up!!

Soberwolf 02-17-2016 08:43 AM

Welcome Nessa

Berrybean 02-17-2016 08:51 AM

Welcome. Good to meet you.

Not many of us arrive at sobriety without some wreckage. It can be painful.

the good news is that sober, and with some recovery, we can start clearing away that wreckage of our past. First things first though. Try to focus on your sobriety, and recovery. Focus on the solution, and steer clear of dwelling on the problem and the past.

Nessa71 02-17-2016 08:56 AM

Thanks for that advice BeccyBean...... I'm in limbo as I thought he would be my crutch.
You see hes been there himself??

I will be strong, and I will beat this
x

Berrybean 02-17-2016 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nessa71 (Post 5801245)
Thanks for that advice BeccyBean...... I'm in limbo as I thought he would be my crutch.
You see hes been there himself??

I will be strong, and I will beat this
x

I suppose, because he's been there himself he knows only too well that this is something that each of us has to do for ourselves. No matter how much we love someone we can't do the work for them.

Have you considered AA at all? It really has helped me. If you're uncertain about all that kind of stuff for now, it may well be worth just researching what is available in your area; find the places and write down the times - that way, you'll have the info to hand if you do decide you need it (you may not feel up to finding the info that day).

There are some great links on here about making your own sobriety plan - things you can do to help you stay sober. In the meantime, be especially wary of the H.A.L.T. triggers - Hungry; Angry; Lonely; Tired. Think what you can do to avoid these things, and do it. :)

You may well be feeling like this is the end of everything at the moment. I know I did when I realised that I HAD to do something about my drinking and my life. But it was really just the beginning. Life can be quite wonderful sober - it's just a matter of learning to be comfortable with it.

Keep posting and reading on here - people on this site really helped me to get through those first really difficult weeks with their suggestions and advice. It's an amazing resource.

Delizadee 02-17-2016 09:46 AM

Nessa I'm on day 3 today as well. It gets better. When you feel like you just can't handle things keep reading and posting. Don't give up and throw all you can at it. If you fall, keep on getting back up.

I have an app on my phone that I read frequently especially if I am struggling. It is called SoberTool. It has daily messages to read that you can pick and choose from based on how you are feeling at that moment. It's been a godsend for me. I'd highly recommend you check it out.

I have 3 kids myself and I am in a painful, nightmarish situation right now. I'm working really hard at letting go of my resentments, feeling humility instead of humiliation, and working through things rationally instead of emotionally. It takes constant work. But 3 days in and I am starting to feel better.

Have you read about making a recovery plan?

:grouphug:

RallyAly 02-17-2016 10:00 AM

Welcome, Nessa. You'll find great support and knowledge here. I found this thread especially useful during the first couple of days: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html. Also, in my case as a beer drinker, I added a T to make it HALTT as Thirsty was something I really needed to watch.

bandicoot2 02-17-2016 10:08 AM

Welcome Nessa! Ditto for everything said so far.

I'm on day 48 and SR has been a lifesaver for me. So much good information and support here!

With HALT, I'd also add an S to it as stress was a big trigger for me to drink.

Best wishes and here's to Day 1 for you..

PurpleKnight 02-17-2016 12:37 PM

Welcome to the Forum Nessa!! :wave:

SoberLife90 02-17-2016 06:05 PM

Welcome!

Hevyn 02-17-2016 06:29 PM

It's great to have you with us, Nessa. You're in very good company - and you will do this. :)

Dee74 02-17-2016 06:52 PM

Welcome aboard Nessa :)

D