SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Throwing away the empties (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/385016-throwing-away-empties.html)

eyeshake 02-14-2016 08:32 AM

Throwing away the empties

I had the pleasure of scouring my parents' basement for the empties I've hid there for the past 4 years. My father and I found 17 empty 22 oz bottles hidden in boxes of books and clothes. That's roughly 33 beers I stashed away because I was too ashamed to let my parents see the quantity I was consuming on my occasional weekend trips to my boyhood home.

Upon reflecting, I've come to realize that I got a thrill from hiding my addiction from others. I guess I felt a sense of empowerment, which is odd b/c I was a slave to my alcoholism for years. The more distance I get from a drink (I'm on day 41), the stranger my history of abuse becomes.

least 02-14-2016 08:36 AM

I used to put my wine bottles in paper bags so no one would see how many there were in the recycle bin. :(

Soberwolf 02-14-2016 08:37 AM

:c011: Congratulations

UhZoomZip 02-14-2016 11:12 AM

Clearing all of the empties out of my house and the trashbags in the trunk of my car was a huge load off my chest before I went to rehab.

StartingOverNW 02-14-2016 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5796040)
I used to put my wine bottles in paper bags so no one would see how many there were in the recycle bin. :(

I did the same thing (and to prevent the huge bags of bottles from all clinking as I was taking them out), and I also hid bottles when I'd visit my parents.

SobrieTee 02-14-2016 12:10 PM

I still find empty beer cans every once in a while in totally random places... Smh. I used to take my empty vodka bottles to public trash cans so my neighbors never knew how much I was drinking (we shared a recycle bin). I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, but now it seems ridiculous. SO happy I don't live like that anymore!!

Carlotta 02-14-2016 12:16 PM

I used to set my alarm clock for 3 in the morning so I could dispose of my empties in the neighborhood's church recycle bin... now looking back: that was absolutely insane.

Upon reflecting, I've come to realize that I got a thrill from hiding my addiction from others.
Like you, I think I got a sick thrill from hiding my addiction like living a double life up to the point where it started like having a second full time job.
Good going with being honest with your dad and getting rid of the empties
:scoregood:

Zebra1275 02-14-2016 04:45 PM

I spent a lot of time over the years disposing of empty bottles in creative ways. What a waste of time and energy that was.

Dee74 02-14-2016 05:02 PM

I got so embarrassed by the rattling of the empties, I started to store mine in milk crates under the house - I got up to 40+ crates, and realised this was an untenable move.

D

Tonymblue 02-14-2016 05:20 PM

I would always get shooter bottles. They were easy to conceal. Also i thought they help me moderate. Guess again. Policing them up was like a twisted easter egg hunt. Then the bag that i used would jingle around like a pair of morracas.

UhZoomZip 02-14-2016 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 (Post 5796727)
I spent a lot of time over the years disposing of empty bottles in creative ways. What a waste of time and energy that was.

One or two at a time mixed with random trash into convenience store trash cans was my usual. I'd be nervous every time . . . which is silly, because it's a trash can for customers, which I was, I was really feeling guilty for having to hide it in the first place because I knew I was lying to myself and those around me.