Notices

Throwing away the empties

Old 02-14-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Throwing away the empties

I had the pleasure of scouring my parents' basement for the empties I've hid there for the past 4 years. My father and I found 17 empty 22 oz bottles hidden in boxes of books and clothes. That's roughly 33 beers I stashed away because I was too ashamed to let my parents see the quantity I was consuming on my occasional weekend trips to my boyhood home.

Upon reflecting, I've come to realize that I got a thrill from hiding my addiction from others. I guess I felt a sense of empowerment, which is odd b/c I was a slave to my alcoholism for years. The more distance I get from a drink (I'm on day 41), the stranger my history of abuse becomes.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to put my wine bottles in paper bags so no one would see how many there were in the recycle bin.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Clearing all of the empties out of my house and the trashbags in the trunk of my car was a huge load off my chest before I went to rehab.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I used to put my wine bottles in paper bags so no one would see how many there were in the recycle bin.
I did the same thing (and to prevent the huge bags of bottles from all clinking as I was taking them out), and I also hid bottles when I'd visit my parents.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still find empty beer cans every once in a while in totally random places... Smh. I used to take my empty vodka bottles to public trash cans so my neighbors never knew how much I was drinking (we shared a recycle bin). I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, but now it seems ridiculous. SO happy I don't live like that anymore!!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I used to set my alarm clock for 3 in the morning so I could dispose of my empties in the neighborhood's church recycle bin... now looking back: that was absolutely insane.
Upon reflecting, I've come to realize that I got a thrill from hiding my addiction from others.
Like you, I think I got a sick thrill from hiding my addiction like living a double life up to the point where it started like having a second full time job.
Good going with being honest with your dad and getting rid of the empties
:
Old 02-14-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time over the years disposing of empty bottles in creative ways. What a waste of time and energy that was.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got so embarrassed by the rattling of the empties, I started to store mine in milk crates under the house - I got up to 40+ crates, and realised this was an untenable move.

D
Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would always get shooter bottles. They were easy to conceal. Also i thought they help me moderate. Guess again. Policing them up was like a twisted easter egg hunt. Then the bag that i used would jingle around like a pair of morracas.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I spent a lot of time over the years disposing of empty bottles in creative ways. What a waste of time and energy that was.
One or two at a time mixed with random trash into convenience store trash cans was my usual. I'd be nervous every time . . . which is silly, because it's a trash can for customers, which I was, I was really feeling guilty for having to hide it in the first place because I knew I was lying to myself and those around me.