SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I feel proud today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/382757-i-feel-proud-today.html)

zigzagging 01-11-2016 07:17 AM

I feel proud today

Well I have managed 7 days without a drink, and to top it all last night was a real test for me, saw a couple of friends with my husband and sat all night watching them sink 4 bottles of wine and I didn't have a drink, I feel very proud of myself especially as they kept trying to get me to drink! And I think I am looking better in the mornings, my face isn't as puffy and red blotches have decreased a lot, is it possible after one week to start looking half normal again, or am I kidding myself. I feel good today, hope it continues.

Nonsensical 01-11-2016 07:23 AM

Congrats on 7 Days!

My AV would always get feisty in your sitiation. I'd go for a dry stretch and avoid a tough drinking situation - and my AV would be like Good Job, you deserve a reward!

Just remember - rewarding sobriety with drinking is like rewarding a thorough house cleaning by throwing mud around. :)

Sunflowerlife 01-11-2016 07:24 AM

That is great, keep doing what you're doing! I am noticing less puffy face as well and I love it.

SoberLife90 01-11-2016 07:33 AM

Good job. I think that is terrible they try to get you to drink. My friends would beat my ass if I was drinking. Have you told your husband you are trying to quit? It is really a scary thought because if you decide to drink you may never get sober again. It is life and death for us alcoholics and addicts. I focus on staying sober today, because as I hear in meetings, "I'm only one drink away from a drunk, and one drunk away from my past becoming my future". We are all or nothing people, and it's the first drink that gets us drunk.

ALinNS 01-11-2016 07:38 AM

You should be very proud, well done, you won another battle over the AV!

Andrew

C23 01-11-2016 07:38 AM

Congrats!

I agree with SoberLife that I am shocked your husband and friends were encouraging you to drink. Not sure if you have made it perfectly clear that this is not an option in your life anymore. My fiends all know and like SoberLife said, they would be very displeased if they saw me cave to the temptation.

SoberInCLE 01-11-2016 07:41 AM

Way to go! Congratulations on 7 days!

Soberwolf 01-11-2016 09:55 AM

Way to go Zig

BobbyLight 01-11-2016 09:58 AM

Congrats Zig! That would take an unimaginable amount of willpower to sit there with my AV while others are drinking AND offering me drinks. Good on 'ya :)

JD4010 01-11-2016 10:00 AM

Yay! You should feel proud.

I've gone two weekends (and the week in between) sober now. Yesterday was a real challenge for me though. I ate 10 cookies instead of drinking. :)

C23 01-11-2016 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by JD4010 (Post 5735394)
Yay! You should feel proud.

I've gone two weekends (and the week in between) sober now. Yesterday was a real challenge for me though. I ate 10 cookies instead of drinking. :)

I would choose cookies all day as well...lol!

IronPhoenix 01-11-2016 10:08 AM

Congrats! But don't hope it continues...make it continue.

You can do this!

zigzagging 01-11-2016 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone, yes my husband does know that I am quitting, he just got drunk and stupid and so tried getting me to join him, its fine cos when he is that drunk it puts me off drink anyway lol :dance1a:

least 01-11-2016 12:01 PM

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks. :)

Fly N Buy 01-11-2016 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by zigzagging (Post 5735171)
Well I have managed 7 days without a drink, and to top it all last night was a real test for me, saw a couple of friends with my husband and sat all night watching them sink 4 bottles of wine and I didn't have a drink, I feel very proud of myself especially as they kept trying to get me to drink! And I think I am looking better in the mornings, my face isn't as puffy and red blotches have decreased a lot, is it possible after one week to start looking half normal again, or am I kidding myself. I feel good today, hope it continues.

Is there another activity you can do away from others who are gathered together to get drunk? This would not have been a healthy environment for me to be around early on - frankly, I wouldn't want to be around it now.

I'd explore options.....

Well done on a week!

zigzagging 01-11-2016 12:05 PM

I saw it as a test for myself, I was going to leave it I couldn't handle it, but I surprised myself, and like I said the more drunk my husband got the more I could deal with it, if that makes sense

Steely 01-11-2016 12:19 PM

Congratulation Zig on your 7 days. No you are not imagining it 7 days off the grog will show improvements in your skin, eyes, outward appearances etc or at least that has been my experience and as a girl/woman these things are important. Girl's gotta look good, ha ha. Now all we have to do is work on the internal dimensions which I think might mean a bit more work eek. But we're up for it, hey? Me 3 weeks and yesterday was difficult for me too. :You_Rock_

Fly N Buy 01-11-2016 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by zigzagging (Post 5735559)
I saw it as a test for myself, I was going to leave it I couldn't handle it, but I surprised myself, and like I said the more drunk my husband got the more I could deal with it, if that makes sense

Good for you on having an exit strategy - saved many a newcomer from drinking, myself included.

Yes, intoxication becomes something we don' t like to be around. I just have to remember not to get self righteous and resentful......that was me not long ago.

Keep working, glad you're posting.

zlhzlh 01-11-2016 01:08 PM

Nice work Z, it is most definitely possible to look and feel better after 7 days.

PurpleKnight 01-11-2016 01:47 PM

Day 7 is fantastic Zig!! Keep pushing through!! :You_Rock_