Notices

I feel proud today

Old 01-11-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I feel proud today

Well I have managed 7 days without a drink, and to top it all last night was a real test for me, saw a couple of friends with my husband and sat all night watching them sink 4 bottles of wine and I didn't have a drink, I feel very proud of myself especially as they kept trying to get me to drink! And I think I am looking better in the mornings, my face isn't as puffy and red blotches have decreased a lot, is it possible after one week to start looking half normal again, or am I kidding myself. I feel good today, hope it continues.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 7 Days!

My AV would always get feisty in your sitiation. I'd go for a dry stretch and avoid a tough drinking situation - and my AV would be like Good Job, you deserve a reward!

Just remember - rewarding sobriety with drinking is like rewarding a thorough house cleaning by throwing mud around.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is great, keep doing what you're doing! I am noticing less puffy face as well and I love it.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job. I think that is terrible they try to get you to drink. My friends would beat my ass if I was drinking. Have you told your husband you are trying to quit? It is really a scary thought because if you decide to drink you may never get sober again. It is life and death for us alcoholics and addicts. I focus on staying sober today, because as I hear in meetings, "I'm only one drink away from a drunk, and one drunk away from my past becoming my future". We are all or nothing people, and it's the first drink that gets us drunk.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You should be very proud, well done, you won another battle over the AV!

Andrew
Old 01-11-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Congrats!

I agree with SoberLife that I am shocked your husband and friends were encouraging you to drink. Not sure if you have made it perfectly clear that this is not an option in your life anymore. My fiends all know and like SoberLife said, they would be very displeased if they saw me cave to the temptation.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go! Congratulations on 7 days!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Zig
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Zig! That would take an unimaginable amount of willpower to sit there with my AV while others are drinking AND offering me drinks. Good on 'ya
Old 01-11-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay! You should feel proud.

I've gone two weekends (and the week in between) sober now. Yesterday was a real challenge for me though. I ate 10 cookies instead of drinking.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
Yay! You should feel proud.

I've gone two weekends (and the week in between) sober now. Yesterday was a real challenge for me though. I ate 10 cookies instead of drinking.
I would choose cookies all day as well...lol!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats! But don't hope it continues...make it continue.

You can do this!
Old 01-11-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, yes my husband does know that I am quitting, he just got drunk and stupid and so tried getting me to join him, its fine cos when he is that drunk it puts me off drink anyway lol
Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by zigzagging View Post
Well I have managed 7 days without a drink, and to top it all last night was a real test for me, saw a couple of friends with my husband and sat all night watching them sink 4 bottles of wine and I didn't have a drink, I feel very proud of myself especially as they kept trying to get me to drink! And I think I am looking better in the mornings, my face isn't as puffy and red blotches have decreased a lot, is it possible after one week to start looking half normal again, or am I kidding myself. I feel good today, hope it continues.
Is there another activity you can do away from others who are gathered together to get drunk? This would not have been a healthy environment for me to be around early on - frankly, I wouldn't want to be around it now.

I'd explore options.....

Well done on a week!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I saw it as a test for myself, I was going to leave it I couldn't handle it, but I surprised myself, and like I said the more drunk my husband got the more I could deal with it, if that makes sense
Old 01-11-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile

Congratulation Zig on your 7 days. No you are not imagining it 7 days off the grog will show improvements in your skin, eyes, outward appearances etc or at least that has been my experience and as a girl/woman these things are important. Girl's gotta look good, ha ha. Now all we have to do is work on the internal dimensions which I think might mean a bit more work eek. But we're up for it, hey? Me 3 weeks and yesterday was difficult for me too.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by zigzagging View Post
I saw it as a test for myself, I was going to leave it I couldn't handle it, but I surprised myself, and like I said the more drunk my husband got the more I could deal with it, if that makes sense
Good for you on having an exit strategy - saved many a newcomer from drinking, myself included.

Yes, intoxication becomes something we don' t like to be around. I just have to remember not to get self righteous and resentful......that was me not long ago.

Keep working, glad you're posting.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice work Z, it is most definitely possible to look and feel better after 7 days.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 7 is fantastic Zig!! Keep pushing through!!