SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back again, new day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/382584-back-again-new-day-1-a.html)

MikeM 01-08-2016 10:38 AM

Back again, new day 1

I've been a member here a few times under different usernames. Btw, quick note to the admins: I'd like to keep this one instead of having it merged with an old one. The reason is that I have disconnected from my old self. I'm starting fresh and a new username is part of that for me.

I've had so much trouble quitting. For so long. Usually I would join here, stay sober for a short while, relapse, throw my login details in the trash. Giving up. This happened a few times.

But I'm back. You may wonder, why do I think it will be different this time? That's because I had a huge breakthrough last year.

See, I decided to quit again November 20th. And much to my surprise, I managed to stay sober. Until New Year's Eve... A little champagne and a week long binge followed.

But... I did have more than 1 month and 1 week sober before it. And that was the breakthrough. That had been impossible for me in my previous attempts.

With that experience, I'm starting over. Now I know I can stay sober for at least that long. And if I hadn't taken the champagne the desire for alcohol hadn't been triggered. I would still have been sober.

So, lesson learned. I know now that I will get to a point where I can live without alcohol and I need to avoid it completely. Not even one sip. For the rest of my life. And I think I can do that.

A new day 1, and I expect it to be the last time!

ALinNS 01-08-2016 10:51 AM

Welcome back.

I am just curious were you following a plan of some sort to stay sober? Was that one glass your trigger? It would be in my case, I would disappear for a month very often, crazy way to live.

Wishing you the very best, I had a relapse in Nov as I had put the plan on a shelf and my girlfriend was away, working crazy long hours and bang it happened, I have managed to work my plan with some additions and stay sober since Dec 12th but what a terrible experience this last binge was.

Mountainmanbob 01-08-2016 10:57 AM

Good luck day one is better than day 0.

MB

MikeM 01-08-2016 11:02 AM

Hi ALinNS. Thanks. I know the feeling of how terrible a binge is. When I got sober in November I literally couldn't drink anymore. I was such a wreck and my body was hurting so bad, I could barely function anymore. And I realized that it needed to stop. I didn't have a plan, which is why it surprised me that I actually stayed sober.

Until that one drink... It was the mistake. I had gotten over even thinking about drinking. Today I woke up after the binge and saw that if I want to survive, I should quit again. I refuse to get to that horrible place ever again.

least 01-08-2016 11:10 AM

Welcome back! Glad you're recommitting to sobriety. Hope you are successful this time. :)

Steely 01-08-2016 11:19 AM

Relapsed many times but this time is different for me too. I know that I have run out of options,rationalisations, surly'don't cares' and delusions of grandeur in that I am somehow different. Who knows what the morrow may bring but for today I love waking up sober and the improvement in my clarity of thinking and relations with others, confidence, etc. I smile more now and people smile back. All would be lost for the want of a lousy drink. I wish you all that you wish for yourself...sobriety. No drink makes me happy any longer (long gone) but sobriety does.

PurpleKnight 01-08-2016 11:46 AM

Welcome back Mike!! :)

Surrender2win 01-08-2016 11:50 AM

Welcome back! :)

Soberwolf 01-08-2016 12:01 PM

Welcome MikeM

Delilah1 01-09-2016 05:12 PM

Welcome Mike!! I won't say welcome back, since you are starting anew. I am on Day 9 after being on and off SR as well. I will stick with you on sobriety!! Cheers to a sober 2016!:-)

SoberinSyracuse 01-09-2016 06:53 PM

Hi, Mike. I'm on my third try. And I feel much more confident this time because I also had some realizations. I know this monster better, and know how important it is to have a plan.

This is going to be our smartest try, and God willing the one that sticks!! Put that plan together to trigger-proof your sobriety. :You_Rock_

Jsbodhi 01-09-2016 07:02 PM

Hi! Welcome back! It'll stick this time if you keep at it!
Xoxo