SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Fear no more Weekender Dec 4 Pt 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/380614-fear-no-more-weekender-dec-4-pt-3-a.html)

Ruby2 12-09-2015 01:53 PM

Bodhi, I'm glad you're feeling better. I'd rather be sick from the food than from tying one on though. Glad you're finished and can relax until starting all over again in the new year.

Waiting at dentist. What fun! I think it's just routine cleaning and check.

Soberpotamus 12-09-2015 02:00 PM

Jen, feel better soon. *hugs*

Soberpotamus 12-09-2015 02:00 PM

Ruby, that was a gorgeous pic :)

Soberpotamus 12-09-2015 02:05 PM

Weird day at work today. Received some oddball info about a manager. Don't know what to do but shake my head over it. Thank goodness I'm sober these days. I'm so above that kind of drama. Amazingly, I seem to command respect these days, and so I fend off the crazies out there pretty well. Wasn't always the case though. Just one more thing I'm grateful for in sobriety. Not afraid to stand up for myself either. Won't think twice about it.

It was nice today when two different store managers (including the general store manager) came up to me and shook hands, and told me I'm an asset and highly spoken of by some people there. I'll take it :) They don't want me to leave, haha. Well, my plan is certainly to leave at some point! But that's after the transition from blogging to proofreading has taken place.

biminiblue 12-09-2015 02:28 PM

You guys. I've found Roller Derby on YouTube. God help me.

Tooshabby 12-09-2015 02:32 PM

That's interesting, Potamus, I'm finding the same thing. I wonder if it's because I respect myself more now that I'm not drinking. I think people can sense that and mirror your own level of self-respect back to you.

Hey Jen :-) I'm glad you're feeling better now. Congratulations on all the hard work you've done this year. You sound like one heck of a dynamo!

Soberpotamus 12-09-2015 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tooshabby (Post 5682101)
That's interesting, Potamus, I'm finding the same thing. I wonder if it's because I respect myself more now that I'm not drinking. I think people can sense that and mirror your own level of self-respect back to you.

Yep, I think that's exactly it, Tooshabby :)

Tetra 12-09-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby2 (Post 5681093)
Tetra, it's always hard when someone comes to visit from out of town. They feel scattered. You feel scattered. New traditions are forming. It's a good time to regroup. Enjoy. Are you still going to visit your brother?

I am hoping to go next year. Maybe in February. My brother works from home. His wife doesn't so I want to plan it around their timetable and not impose too much. They used to live in Ann Arbor but now they have moved to a place called Ambler Philadelphia. They said it's a pity I never went to Ann Arbor as it is a nicer place. But my brother said he could take a couple of days off and we will do some things.

The weather is so bad. Constant rain. I would prefer the big freeze of 2010 to this.

I spent some time doing up my CV and now I have a beautiful CV :)

I went out for coffee with my dad and sister. My mom warned me not to eat too much cake before my lunch. I have to say that my mom is an excellent cook. So we came back and she gave me a fright. She said "let me smell your breath..." I was like Oh God. Then she continued "so I can tell how much coffee you have had"...

I know she means well and too much coffee is bad but it dredged up a lot of bad memories.

MesaMan 12-09-2015 02:39 PM

Go Bim!

I put up a RD Vid the other day. Good mindless fun, sez I.

No worries, Jen. Out here Helen Gone on BLM Land, Hiking. Pooch found a fresh Deer Leg. 10 mins later, did a Projectile Hurl. Better here than in my Truck...

Tetra 12-09-2015 02:44 PM

I have actually written a Christmas card to send to the three hags (aunts). I wanted to be nice and thank them for forwarding my mail. I didn't get a chance to change my address yet.
So I bought a box of cards with different pictures and we were going through them. My mom thinks I'm crazy. So I found one with the three wise men or something on it and I held it up and said "what about this?" My mom burst out laughing. It's nice to do normal things with her. She said it's a bit too pointed, pick something else.

Then she said "you are just like your father, too kind and innocent".

My dad thinks I'm doing a good thing. I spent most of my life trying to be something I'm not.

Weasel1966 12-09-2015 02:45 PM

Hello!

Tired and heading to bed. Ready for a new day!

See you wonderful people in the morning!

K

Soberpotamus 12-09-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tetra (Post 5682113)
I have actually written a Christmas card to send to the three hags (aunts). I wanted to be nice and thank them for forwarding my mail. I didn't get a chance to change my address yet.
So I bought a box of cards with different pictures and we were going through them. My mom thinks I'm crazy. So I found one with the three wise men or something on it and I held it up and said "what about this?" My mom burst out laughing. It's nice to do normal things with her. She said it's a bit too pointed, pick something else.

I think that is absolutely hilarious, Tetra. :lmao

The three wise men ... and the three hags. Ha!!!

Soberpotamus 12-09-2015 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tetra (Post 5682106)
I went out for coffee with my dad and sister. My mom warned me not to eat too much cake before my lunch. I have to say that my mom is an excellent cook. So we came back and she gave me a fright. She said "let me smell your breath..." I was like Oh God. Then she continued "so I can tell how much coffee you have had"...

I know she means well and too much coffee is bad but it dredged up a lot of bad memories.

For your sake, I hope she was making a joke about smelling your breath for coffee, 'cause that's a little odd. It's none of her business if you want to drink multiple cups of coffee! :)

Tetra 12-09-2015 02:55 PM

Well my mom is pretty odd in fairness.
I chose to ignore a lot of what she says these days because it makes my life easier.

Tetra 12-09-2015 03:42 PM

And congrats to Melina and Sao :c011:

The last few interviews I have done, I got asked: "so, where do you see yourself in 5 years time?" I always smile to myself because it reminds me of these Irish guys on the UK X Factor. They became quite well known after this:

Tooshabby 12-09-2015 04:36 PM

I agree - odd is exactly what I was going to say, if not controlling. And I would also say there is no such thing as 'too kind'. That comment sounds a bit patronising. I chose to ignore a lot of what my mother says too. Our relationship got a whole lot better after I did that :-)

Venecia 12-09-2015 04:50 PM

Hi, gang. Great to see you here, Shabby, as well as UUN and other new names.

Day went well, including the meetings. Progress made, which isn't always the case.

Fighting the blues a tad, though.

So it was a nice treat to come home and open SR to see day-brightening posts in my SR class. One from a classmate that now visits rather rarely. Life is so much better for her on several fronts. The other from a classmate who has accomplished something quite amazing -- and a feat that would have been out of reach pre-sobriety. It really is uplifting to think of the little world my classmates and I inhabit here on SR and what a long way we've come since the early -- and hard -- days. We've now got 2.5 years of sobriety in our sights.

Hope that gives us all inspiration, the newbies and more long-term W'enders alike. Life isn't always easy or free of sadness. But it really is so much better with sobriety.

Tetra 12-09-2015 04:52 PM

Well my mom is definitely all of those things.

Well I used to get so upset at her little digs. Until my therapist asked me how often I would get upset by something she said? And I replied "several times a week" So he asked me if I thought it was healthy to get upset several times a week? I said probably not.
So then he asked me her age and did I think a woman in her late 60s was capable of change? No.
He pointed out that the only one of us who is going to change is me.

I like my therapist a lot :)

Venecia 12-09-2015 04:55 PM

Your therapist sounds like a smart cookie, Tetra.

Ruby, that photo is exceptional. It's kind of hard to believe it was taken in such a large metro area -- it must be nice to have that pastoral scene in your proximity.

Tooshabby 12-09-2015 05:01 PM

Yes. That is a way cool therapist :-D