SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/380026-newcomers-weekender-thread-nov-27-pt-2-a.html)

brynn 12-01-2015 11:35 AM

I could actually see Brains video. Weird. And I know I should turn down the heat blah blah but it's hard when you're shivering! I'm one of those annoying people who is cold when it's 85 out. I keep a sweater in my car even in the summertime.

Y'all sure do eat well! All I've had so far is a dill pickle. Oh, and coffee this morning.

((Marty)) take a day off from thinking about the past. That's what I'm doing. Our hope is in the future.

happyandfree 12-01-2015 11:35 AM

Great news Ruby...what a relief.
Melina...I relate to the time feeling much longer. It is a lot of hard work and lots happens in the first few years. I feel like it's been forever since I drank. And Brain, you are right about not being too careful. ...it's so easy to slip backwards. Cunning, baffling, and powerful. ..as they wisely say.
for those of you who use an appointment calendar. ...don't forget to get one! I totally forgot and went all over town and my favorite one was sold out. I'm a creature of habit and there is only one At-a-Glance weekly planner that I like. I ordered it online and had to pay shipping so it cost a lot more. I can't believe I forgot to get one earlier.
Got a wicked spaghetti craving so I have yummy sauce cooking in the crockpot. Can't wait for dinner!

Melina 12-01-2015 11:37 AM

You're so awesome, Mesa! Thank you for that!

Have fun at the dog park!

happyandfree 12-01-2015 11:38 AM

Brynn....if all I ate was a pickle I would probably be thin like you!!! I imagine you being thin, anyway. :)

saoutchik 12-01-2015 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mesa - we still have that show in England - this lady won it in 2012- apparently her husband is a crazy Greek man and her son a half wit. Her prize was to leap out of a helicopter with Daniel Craig

LBrain 12-01-2015 01:36 PM

How's pop Ruby?

Taking a break from cleaning - having a snack. No pickle for me.
Looks like at least the tree will emerge from the basement. And I suppose all the other xmas jazz will soon be displayed waiting for the day after new year to start hiding it away again.

I don't want a pickle...

LBrain 12-01-2015 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HAF - dreaming of spaghetti?

saoutchik 12-01-2015 01:57 PM

That was Todd Rundgren LB? Flip dib
When my youngest daughter was selling her vintage clothes she wanted upbeat and over the top for the video loop. Can't get more of either than Todd Rundgren in full Utopia mode

Tetra 12-01-2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 5669581)
Mesa - we still have that show in England - this lady won it in 2012- apparently her husband is a crazy Greek man and her son a half wit. Her prize was to leap out of a helicopter with Daniel Craig

:lmao

Weasel1966 12-01-2015 02:52 PM

Hey everyone! Finally home from work and therapy and cooking pork chops and buttered noodles. simple. Then chair and relax.

Ordered food for 200 people for the event I am hosting next week at work. That was fun! hummus with fresh made pita chips, cheeses, popcorn fresh popped, lots of cookies and specialty soft drinks. Balloons and lots of fun. Cannot wait. Been planning it for a month now and today the last of the plans were rested. I always like to be done early to save me rushing. I refuse to rush.

anyways... Melina and Bix I did see you posts. I will share when I can but today is not the time. I had therapy already and the mind is nearly in the off position. :D:D

I have not caught up on the roughs... but maybe later.

Thanks for being there!!! Sober Tuesday done! Next?

K

trachemys 12-01-2015 03:01 PM

Runt fans, huh? I knew I liked you people for a reason.

Soberpotamus 12-01-2015 03:11 PM

Cookies 'N' Cream Hershey's Kisses!!!!!! :MusBand:

They're so good there should be song about them! Nom nom nom.

Behan 12-01-2015 03:41 PM

Evening all,

Hope everyone is getting through whatever day of the week this is.

Went on our first family outing today. To the doctors! It took an age to pack, only to be prodded and asked awkward questions. Maybe we'll go to the park later in the week!

Made a veggie and tofu stir fry for dinner. Mrs B mother arrived this evening. She is a great help with the practical things. Told me tonight she had 6 kids by 33!

There is a can of Guinness on my dinning room table. Mrs B mother brought it for baking. It does not bother me. I used to salivate when I saw Guinness. I wonder are these stimuli losing their salience?

B

BixBees505 12-01-2015 03:43 PM

Weasel, no pressure intended of course. Your party planning sounds like a pro job...glad you are having such a great work life at present!

End of a less than satisfying workday here. Just felt I was slogging in place. Hard to focus. I have to plan some travel now, so I'm going to get that done, and truly call it a day.

Dinner, I don't know. I have a little grilled beef still in fridge from before T-day...maybe make it into a salad with other sad things going limp in there, use it up. You all know how to feed yourselves, I'd say...so impressive. I'm more in the "pickle" camp, but I would like to change that!

Going to bed very early, I am certain.

Behan 12-01-2015 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus (Post 5669708)
Cookies 'N' Cream Hershey's Kisses!!!!!! :MusBand:

They're so good there should be song about them! Nom nom nom.

Cookies n Cream Hersheys Kisses
I got me a bag of them for de Missus!

There's the chorus.

BixBees505 12-01-2015 03:47 PM

Wow, Gramma should be able to handle anything Finn can dish out, Behan! I'm glad you and Mrs B have this bit of help...wonderful. And glad no stirring of AV with the can of brew in plain sight. Don't be a hero over stupid stuff though...take loving care of your sobriety, as much as you take of little Finn. Sorry...was that preachy?

Behan 12-01-2015 04:01 PM

Not at all Bix! Thank you for the kind words.

LBrain 12-01-2015 04:42 PM

well the tree is up, lights on and angel on top. Well it seems our angel has fallen from grace... So it's off to home depot or wherever to find a replacement. One that lights of course. My beautiful angel doesn't light - but the fake crystal does reflect nicely... she was a good angel...
anyway, new angel time...

I was listening to my local 'rock hits' station and I was thinking how bad the current music is. Truly horrible. Even the top 40 I didn't care for growing up is better than this sht. But I heard them announce a Tod Rundgren concert coming here soon. And hall and oats - already crossed that one off my list of 'should have saved my money' concerts.

Venecia 12-01-2015 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 5669581)

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Sao is not a monarchist.

Behan, nice to know that Finn's gram is there to help out some. I'm sure it's a nice respite, and comfort, for Mrs. B. especially.

Marty, don't beat yourself up. Your sig line says it all -- you're more than your past, my friend.

Ruby, hope things are going well with your dad.

Best to all this evening. I'm feeling a little under the weather and dreading the next 12 or so hours, which will tell whether this is the start of something awful (my best bud at work is out sick) or just some transient gunk.

Wanted to share some thoughts on another post but will do so separately so I don't turn in one of my sequel to "War and Peace" entries.

Venecia 12-01-2015 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by LBrain (Post 5669300)
Congratulations on getting 6 months Melina. It is a HUGE accomplishment. And don't let anyone tell you the further away from a drink you are, the closer you are. Nonsense.

The further away from drinking I am it has become the norm for me.
Around a year I still thought about drinking once in a while - silly AV.
Now, I can be around bottles and drinkers and I barely notice it.
Just never think you don't have to be careful.

I did a brief look at SR over lunch and came across LBrain's salient observation.

Melina, and others who are somewhat newer in their sobriety, I just want to reiterate what Brain said. Don't let others who repeat some of what I've come to view as the urban legends of recovery let you think that.

I've come to spend most of my SR time on this thread. But I still go out into the rest of our world, too, and lately it feels like I've been seeing some of the "urban legends" appearing more. Our wonderful moderators and other SRers do a good job of addressing them, but I think it merits reinforcing that false adages such as "relapse is a part of recovery" or that "your AV is doing push-ups out in the hallway" need to have the air taken out of them.

The longer you're sober, the more you'll find strength in your recovery. It's always going to be true we are people who cannot drink. But it gets better. It really does. The more time you put between this day and your last drink, the better it gets.

For those who continue their struggle, make sobriety your No. 1 priority. Everything else is a distant second. I'm not saying that because I'm any genius at this whole thing. It is simply the wise counsel others who came before us offered me, and others, as we embarked upon this remarkable journey. And they were right.

Tetra 12-01-2015 05:03 PM

My mom and my sister have gone away for three nights and I am enjoying some peace and quiet. We got the decorations out of the attic tonight and I'll put some up tomorrow.

I keep forgetting that my mom had a horrible childhood which she is still deeply affected by. Her father had a violent streak and my mom was witness to some dreadful scenes. I never met her father (died years before I was born) but anything I have heard has shocked me. My dad (who always tries to see the best in people) says he had a tough life trying to keep food on the table, but still...

Last night I heard my mom saying goodnight to my pet and it kind of touched me. I was reminded of the episode from Everybody Loves Raymond - Pet The Bunny. I used to watch this show when I was drinking. Frank readily advocates a rigidly macho, tough guy image. But he does have a soft side that is rarely ever seen, and which he himself denies. For example, in the episode Pet the Bunny, word got out that when Ray and Robert had a bunny, during their childhood, Frank would sit downstairs at night and pet it.

I was just reminded of it last night.

MLD51 12-01-2015 05:06 PM

Big Runt fan here, too, Trach. Which reminds me - I have a bunch on vinyl, but none in a digital format. Must remedy that situation.

I'm feeling less funky today, overall. I've just been feeling in a rut. Need to shake some things up a bit. Time to plan some activities. Start dreaming about a trip. Something, anything, to break the monotony. When I get bored, that's when the negative stuff starts to creep in.

Behan 12-01-2015 05:17 PM

Great post Ven. Thanks for passing on the wisdom.

I hope you enjoy the peace at home Tetra.

Sounds like you are formulating a kernel of a plan there MLD. A trip somewhere sounds exciting! And of course we will be travelling with you vicariously!!!

B

brynn 12-01-2015 05:24 PM

Glad you're funk is on the decrease, Marty.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Venecia and Brain.

Your work party is going to rock, Ken! Makes me want some popcorn! Hmmm...might be dinner :)

Jsbodhi 12-01-2015 05:48 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm home! Long day at work and school, I'll catch up tomorrow, I gotta try to watch a movie and sleep
Xo

Jsbodhi 12-01-2015 05:53 PM

Great post Melina, as someone who just relasped- I just want to put distance between me and alcohol.
It was actually kinda traumatizing, it was like an assault, I wasn't myself, my body felt awful during and the next day.
I really really didn't like it and I still feel vulnerable- and not in the way that I feel vulnerable that I want to drink, in the way that I feel almost violated by it, its so invasive; on the body, mind and heart.
I can't believe I have been putting myself through that for years, its not fun or nice at all

MesaMan 12-01-2015 06:03 PM

Re: Tetra's Post #381 above...

Actor Peter Boyle - 'Raymond's' Dad 'Frank' - as Frankenstein is linked below. One seriously funny Movie. Some of the Props and Gizmos were from the original 'Frankenstein' Film.

- 'Young Frankenstein' Outfit -

Ruby2 12-01-2015 06:07 PM

Hey everyone! I'm home. Went to the hospital and sat with my mom and her sister and husband. They're in town to lend support. My aunt and uncle met at my parents' wedding. My aunt was maid of honor and my uncle was my dad's best man. So childhood best friends became relatives.

Dad looked waxy and, quite honestly, dead. It was rather disconcerting but his chest was moving. My aunt commented that it must be hard seeing him with his mouth open, slack jawed like that. My mom and I both laughed that it was no different than when dad dozes off in his chair at home. He's still under anesthesia until they are certain he's not bleeding. They want him out if they need to go back in. But, he was doing fine.

Melina, great post. Unfortunately you can't rush things. I always wanted everything done yesterday. Rats. Handmaiden? Ha! Shield friend. Compadre.

Tetra, enjoy the silence.

I'm thinking about posting another thread today. What's gotten into me? I heard Amy Winehouse belting out "Rehab" in the car this evening and thought what a waste of a life. All the lines in that song "I ain't got the time." Blah, blah, blah. What else are ya gonna do with your time? As Olive said, it passes anyway. may as well get sober.

Time to wrangle kids. I promised to yell at them this evening. Oops, inspire them to clean their messes. Which usually entails yelling.

Thank you for all the positive thoughts. It's helping!

LBrain 12-01-2015 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Behan (Post 5669742)
There is a can of Guinness on my dinning room table. Mrs B mother brought it for baking. It does not bother me. I used to salivate when I saw Guinness. I wonder are these stimuli losing their salience?

B

You betcha they are. Eventually you don't even notice...
Glad you are getting help. Grannies are a blessing. Be grateful for the help - and a nice gift for granny would be nice. A cake? I dunno...
Yeah, and every time you leave the house now it seems like you are packing for a weekend trip :lmao How did they ever manage 100 years ago?

A lot of good stuff on the thread today. Ruby your dad will be around in no time. Tetra - enjoy the peace and quiet. Relax...
what else? Js - feeling violated eh? I recall having felt violated way too many times as I lay on the couch all day saying never again - about 1000 times.

Here's to the King and Queen:

LBrain 12-01-2015 07:27 PM

welp, after five different stores and looking online she has finally come to the conclusion that my angel is beautiful. so she gets to show her stuff this year ;)

here you go MLD: