SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/380026-newcomers-weekender-thread-nov-27-pt-2-a.html)

Dee74 11-28-2015 04:25 PM

A Newcomers Weekender Thread Nov 27 Pt 2

last part :

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...v-27-a-22.html

D

wehav2day 11-28-2015 04:27 PM

Shotgun!

Tetra 11-28-2015 04:28 PM

Oh I just missed it :)

Congrats wehav2day

biminiblue 11-28-2015 04:38 PM

Oh! New thread! Awesome :)

*goes to catch up in old one* I HAZ WINDOWS 10.. .so I'm trying to figure it out. I like it. It's clean/simple. So far.

wehav2day 11-28-2015 04:47 PM

Tetra it's probably my second shotgun in three years, thanks! :)

Bimini, you are. A courageous soul going for Windows 10. I usually wait at least a year and listen for joy or grumbles. They are due for a good one, I hope you love it!

Well, it's our annual night where my partner makes her world famous bubble and squeak with our leftover thanksgiving potatoes. I'm the cook so it's strange and awesome at the same time sitting here while she slaves away in the kitchen... I could get used to this...

biminiblue 11-28-2015 04:59 PM

It seems to be every-other-one for likey/no-likey on the Windows software. I liked Windows 7, that's what I was using. I hear 8 was a problem child.

I just feel like I should grab it while it's free and not wait till I have to pay for add-ons, which is what they're threatening (who knows.) Plus I kind of asked around and people seem to like it. There are a lot of sort of spy-like features that I think I turned off. Whatev. It's too late now - I'm in the future, baby. I know at some point they stop having good support for older versions. I mean, I liked Vista. :dunno: I'm glad the self-install was pretty much one-click.

Meh. I'll figure it out. I'm sober and smart!...where's the Control Panel? LOL, I'm using windows search for everything because I'm not readily seeing the navigation.

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:06 PM

I have no idea what bubble and squeak is, Wehav?

EndGameNYC 11-28-2015 05:10 PM

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:24 PM

Not that thrilled with the new browser. It's kind of stalker-y.

That's twice I've said that today. I think I'm getting paranoid. :)

Soberwolf 11-28-2015 05:24 PM

Thanks for the new part D

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:26 PM

Lucy enjoying the sunset today...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...stasplumf.jpeg

They had a nice time at the river. She came home and ate lots of delicious turkey :)

LBrain 11-28-2015 05:30 PM

is someone holding up a mirror for lucy to enjoy that sunset? :lmao

the dishwasher war is ON!

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:30 PM

Wiseguy :)

He said she seems to enjoy the kayak, however she also seems to miss being able to sniff around on the ground :)

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:33 PM

How are you getting these pics? Oh, wait. My phone automagically uploads to the web.

Lucy is ready to come home. I can tell.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:33 PM

Dishwasher wars?? Yay. Mine needs to be emptied.

Mr. Potamus pulled out a fork and made a big dramatic scene of questioning whether this particular load was clean or dirty. :irked:

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:35 PM

Bim, the husband texts them. Earlier, I posted them as he sent them. That last one was sent a couple hours ago :) Didn't see it until just now.

I have all pics on my phone set to auto-upload to my private Photobucket, and then I direct link them here. That way, once they upload to Photobucket (and I double check to make sure), I wipe them from the phone which frees up space.

Melina 11-28-2015 05:37 PM

More self care today in the form of a huge meal of sautéed shrimp and steak. Lots of veggies, rice and beans. Cherry pie and coffee.

Trip to Target to stock up on the blackberry cucumber LaCroix... pajamas were 40% off so don't mind if I do on some soft pink leopard print sweats, ooh la la :)

All this stuff may be normal life but I really resented taking care of myself when I was drinking. I thought someone else should do it for me while I drank.

And when people would talk about self care, like suggesting a bubble bath or buying a special tea, I thought they were sooooooo lame. How was that ever going to scratch the itch that blackout drinking did? And I could take a bubble bath WITH whisky, a bunch of Ativan and a six pack to really amp up the 'self care.' Ugh. I went through a phase of that. I'm lucky I never passed out in the tub.

So I do the little, quiet things to reward myself and it's working. I'm learning to trust myself again. I know some thing is really wrong when I refuse to feed myself all day, out of apathy sometimes but usually it's me feeling sorry for myself over who knows what that day.

I know I mention self care a lot. I need to bc I'm in the thick of figuring out what that is and I'm seeing how it helps me. It may seem so simple to some, like super obvious and I am a dummy... But that's where I am right now and at 41, I really appreciate these comforting gestures. I'm learning what it means to love myself.

What do you do for self care? What does comfort look like to you? Is it a shopping spree, what kind of meal, a nap, a chat with a friend, a strenuous workout? All ideas welcome, gracias

xoxo

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5665443)
Lucy is ready to come home. I can tell.

Yeah, she looks tired or impatient there I think. He said she would rather be sniffing along on the ground. Beagles. Gotta always be smelling things. She probably felt "stuck" on the kayak.

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:37 PM

SP
That's a great plan. My phone just loads to iCloud. Is your phone an iPhone? If it is, I need to do some more learnin' so I can skip a couple steps between taking the picture and posting it here.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Melina (Post 5665447)
And when people would talk about self care, like suggesting a bubble bath or buying a special tea, I thought they were sooooooo lame. How was that ever going to scratch the itch that blackout drinking did? hat that day.

Me too! :) I thought ... no friggin' way ... a cup of tea?? WTD? How silly. A cup of tea and lighting a candle was suggested by a therapist years ago. There was no way I could envision or imagine an enjoyable time without a bottle of wine (or multiple bottles).

After I got sober, it was a necessity - I had to find things to replace the ritual of drinking, and so at first it was with coffee, and later, tea. Also, there was ice-cream and chocolate :) Working out, gardening, the beagles, and finally, once my head cleared a little, reading and writing. All those things tend to soothe me, albeit, in different ways.

And the LaCroix waters! Can't forget those. I always keep club soda, juice, and some lemons or limes. I replaced my old wine glasses with some semi-fancy French bee motif pedestal glasses.

Another thing, for many of us who are introverted, just making sure we have downtime and solitude is enough to qualify as self-care :)

You're doing great, Melina, keep it up :)

Finding ways to soothe, and even knowing that you need to self-soothe is excellent.

MLD51 11-28-2015 05:43 PM

Very blah day for me. I think I've figured out that I need to cut wayyyy back on sugar. I was just reading that a lack of energy (me, lately) is a common symptom of too much sugar. There are other signs, too. That kind of sucks, because ice cream, but I'm tired of not feeling like doing anything. After the holidays I'll tackle that.

Hard to keep up on the this thread this weekend - chatty bunch!

Melina 11-28-2015 05:45 PM

http://i65.tinypic.com/4uz1i9.jpg

A cool twist on drinking! Seen from 'our' side for once :)

If this pic is ginormous, just know that I'm not doing it on purpose to annoy you. I swear.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:47 PM

Bim, all you need is to download the Photobucket app. Create an account, and be sure to set all your albums to private (let's hope they're private!). Once you open the app, it will ask if you want to set it to auto-upload, so make sure to do that. And from that point forward, you should be good to go. You can then wipe all pics from your phone that you don't want, and that takes out the middle step of manually sending them to yourself.

Photobucket is for iPhone and for Android.

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:49 PM

I haven't had the best luck in the past with my Photobucket account. I'd have to open a new one anyway, my name is in the URL for all my pics on photobucket.

I think one major tech upheaval at a time. W10 and the new browser, "Edge," are gonna keep me busy. Thanks, though - good to know. I wonder if tiny pic has that...

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5665466)
I haven't had the best luck in the past with my Photobucket account. I'd have to open a new one anyway, my name is in the URL for all my pics on photobucket.

Yep, I used my real name when I made my first account. I had to create a new one with an anonymous name.

biminiblue 11-28-2015 05:53 PM

MLD, how's the smoking/non-smoking going? I have the same problem with too much sugar. Then I have too much caffeine and it's a viscous circle.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 05:59 PM

Yeah, wondering how all the smokers quitting smoking are doing this weekend. I saw a few of you were going to do it together.

Tetra 11-28-2015 06:01 PM

I like the idea of self care.
I also drink herbal teas, and I sit down with a book in the evening for an hour or two. My concentration has improved enormously and I'm on my third book this week.

I'm also quite shy and last year I was freaking out about my brothers wedding. I went to my therapist for advice and he said to dress nicely and do something for myself like a facial or a massage or something. So I went for a facial and I got my make up done at the salon the morning of the wedding and I felt great.
It's things like that that make me feel good.
My best friend told me "be good to yourself. Go for walks. Read your books. Drink your fancy coffees" and she was spot on.

Soberpotamus 11-28-2015 06:06 PM

Books, coffee, walks ... yeah, I love all those too, Tetra :)

I can do without manis, pedis, and facials though, lol. I won't even go to a hairdresser anymore. Mr. Potamus cuts my hair! I taught him how.

Reading was tough for me at first. I was such a reader when I was younger, and have always been, but the drinking definitely hurt my concentration and focus. I had to be sober for about two years before I could read through a full novel. I was able to read nonfiction easily though, and read lots of books on recovery early on. That really helped me.

MLD51 11-28-2015 06:07 PM

I made it without smoking until last night. Sneaked one and then another today. But it's a vast improvement and I'll keep going. None tomorrow. I know now that I actually can do it. The two I smoked really did nothing for me.