SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hope from hopelessness (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/377786-hope-hopelessness.html)

getright15 10-21-2015 01:39 AM

Hope from hopelessness

For the last couple of months I've been posting pretty regularly since I decided to stop drinking. I can say that I was a very pessimistic person. I still am in a lot of ways, but it's pretty crazy how staying off of the devils nectar has turned the tides. I never had hope in anything. I know it sounds sad and depressing. I just always expected the worse outcome from situations regardless of what they were. These last few months since going to IOP(I graduate on November 2nd) has changed my life around. I wake up without booze on my mind. I'm a bit more confident. My wife has done a 180 as I'm gaining her trust back and shes less anxious about who is going to come home...the person she married or the drunk and belligerent jerk? As I see things changing around me it does give me a sense of hope that maybe things will work out in my life.

I don't miss drinking. I even question why didn't I do this sooner. I could've avoided a lot of heartache and saved a lot of money doing other things in my life. Alcohol has caused me a lot of trouble. I just HOPE everything works out in the end!

ast1 10-21-2015 02:55 AM

I'm sure everything will work out. Congratulations.

Soberwolf 10-21-2015 03:53 AM

GetRight have you heard of Brené Brown's book daring greatly ?

stevepearce 10-21-2015 04:18 AM

Well done Getright15. :You_Rock_

Saskia 10-21-2015 04:32 AM

That's so good to hear, Getright. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of IOP you weren't sure if it was the right choice for you and now look! I had a similar experience with the program I attended. It's why I try to encourage people to stick it out.

joeconrad 10-21-2015 10:44 AM

Heck yeah! Stay strong and focused. Remember how bad things were and how you never want to experience those times again.

saoutchik 10-21-2015 11:41 AM

I'm glad your situation and outlook are improving getright.

Your description of yourself as a "drunk and belligerent jerk" would have exactly summed me up too when I was drinking so I totally get how you are feeling

getright15 10-21-2015 01:30 PM

No I haven't but I'll check that out.

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5608573)
GetRight have you heard of Brené Brown's book daring greatly ?

getright15 10-21-2015 07:56 PM

I was just more nervous about going to IOP than anything. I'm glad I made the choice to do it. Even better that nobody made me do it.

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 5608602)
That's so good to hear, Getright. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of IOP you weren't sure if it was the right choice for you and now look! I had a similar experience with the program I attended. It's why I try to encourage people to stick it out.

MythOfSisyphus 10-21-2015 08:35 PM

I'm glad all the hard work of recovery is paying off for you getright.