SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Braces-are-off....Permanently! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/373543-braces-off-permanently.html)

thomas11 08-13-2015 04:00 PM

Braces-are-off....Permanently!

Long story long, my initial protocol was standard procedure for someone with my situation, which is rare. 10 days in the hospital, braces on, with underlying wraps, and locked in (legs straight). After release from hospital, 3 months with braces on, locked straight, using crutches. After 3 months the degree of motion is advanced weekly eventually advancing to 90 degrees during therapy, but still locked while not in therapy, this takes one month. Step 2, unlock braces at 90 degree range of motion with crutches which allows one to walk "normally", this is one more month. Step 3, braces unlocked at 90 degrees range of motion, no crutches, also 1 (more) month. Thus many months, before consideration of braces coming off completely. Today I saw the surgeon, it has been 11-12 weeks. I was very straight forward with him and asked him when I could get rid of these braces as they are simply a modern day cast. He asked me to unlock them and see if I could make my way to the examination table. I asked him if I could completely remove them and get his evaluation. The nice guy that he is, he said sure. Took off braces and he asked me if I needed help getting on the table, I said no. I navigated my way on to the table, without assistance. Wife tells me he started laughing as he was so surprised that I could do it completely on my own. The most rewarding words I ever heard in my life came next. While chuckling, he said "wow, well you are definitely done with your braces, you have accomplished far beyond expectations" I appreciated what he said, but I kept in mind that he deals primarily with elderly. My wife then says "what about the crutches"? ....and I loved this, he said "frame them with the braces, he's done." Point being, I worked really hard, and am roughly 8-9 weeks ahead of schedule and I felt fresh air on my legs today for the first time in 11 weeks. I shouted "YES!" in the hospital hallway leaving and many people stared and I didn't care, and damn near cried on the way home. I'm free. And much of it has to do with SR. Jeff

Dee74 08-13-2015 04:01 PM

I'm really glad to read this Jeff :)

D

wehav2day 08-13-2015 04:14 PM

Woooooohoooooooo!!!!! Nice work!

Jeff, I follow your threads because I'm rooting for you. I don't get to every post, but I seem to recall you had a little apprehension about this day, that you may end up drinking with your regained normalcy.

You don't have to drink over it. :)

You deserve to celebrate, and celebrate hard! Take a stroll, go out to dinner, jump for joy. There are many awesome ways to celebrate milestones without alcohol.
Good job, man!

biminiblue 08-13-2015 04:23 PM

That's really great, Jeff. Celebrate with a big steak and a fancy dessert! (At least that's what I would do.) :hug:

thomas11 08-13-2015 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wehav2day (Post 5509978)
Woooooohoooooooo!!!!! Nice work!

Jeff, I follow your threads because I'm rooting for you. I don't get to every post, but I seem to recall you had a little apprehension about this day, that you may end up drinking with your regained normalcy.

You don't have to drink over it. :)

You deserve to celebrate, and celebrate hard! Take a stroll, go out to dinner, jump for joy. There are many awesome ways to celebrate milestones without alcohol.
Good job, man!

Thanks, we ordered subway sandwiches and are going to enjoy them tonight without alcohol. Thanks you so much.
Jeff

Marcher13 08-13-2015 05:09 PM

Jeff this is fabulous news, I'm thrilled for you but not surprised, knowing you I reckon you can do just fine without crutches (or braces) ... of any kind.

Take care of yourself.

CaseyW 08-13-2015 05:23 PM

Great news, Jeff. Watching your recovery from your injury and from your addiction unfold over the course of this summer has been a joy. I look forward to continuing this journey with you into the future.

Dharma33 08-13-2015 05:31 PM

Jeff- thanks for sharing your wonderful news!!! That's really great. Onward and upward!

Venecia 08-13-2015 06:45 PM

Congrats, Jeff!

When I got my braces off, the first thing I did was ate a carmel apple.

Oh, wait. Never mind.

Hevyn 08-13-2015 06:47 PM

Fantastic news, Jeff! I'm so glad for you. Things are looking up.

(Good one, Venecia :))

SoberLeigh 08-13-2015 06:50 PM

Fabulous news, Jeff. I am so very happy for you!!!!!

GroundhogDay 08-13-2015 07:28 PM

Congrats! Great news.

Saskia 08-13-2015 07:31 PM

Great news, Jeff! I'm very happy for you :-)

2WheelsGood 08-13-2015 07:40 PM

Thank you for the good news. It's good to hear something like this.

sva777 08-13-2015 07:48 PM

You will be up running errands for you wife in no time. Great to hear your progress.

wehav2day 08-13-2015 07:50 PM

Mmmmm subway.....
Good job!

Angie247 08-13-2015 07:50 PM

Congratulations! That's wonderful news. :)

TroyW 08-13-2015 08:48 PM

Congrats Jeff. Excellent news.

PennyLane76 08-13-2015 08:59 PM

I love this post Jeff! You are a freeeee bird now, free sober bird,yeah!

Mags1 08-13-2015 09:35 PM

Nice one, Jeff.