SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Favorite Summer Music Sober Weekender! July 31 until (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/372587-favorite-summer-music-sober-weekender-july-31-until.html)

MLD51 07-30-2015 05:05 AM

That one didn't quite work - try this -

http://youtu.be/uzGx_XzxDeM

MLD51 07-30-2015 05:07 AM

Was lucky enough to see him live a couple of years ago. I'm not a huge county fan but Don Williams is something special to me.

Tetra 07-30-2015 05:10 AM

I am in.

Getting ready for the funeral.

And things will never be the same again.

Granny's house just won't be the same without Grandma xx

Ruby2 07-30-2015 05:12 AM

I'm in. Summer was never my favorite time of year. I often felt lonely. Many of my friends had summer cottages on the lake and would be gone. Or they belonged to a local aqua club and would be gone all day but I was never invited. I recall snippets.

Friends of my parents had a summer home, high on the dunes, overlooking lake Michigan. I remember trudging down the hill to the beach and smelling the sweet smell of grass and the water before the water came into view.

I also spent long hours reading on our own front porch. My mother or father chased me out of the house with "you can't stay inside all day".

Later as a teen I'd bike ride a lot with a couple of friends. But music? One song came to mind. We went to Chicago Fest on Navy Pier to see Billy Squier and the sound of "Lonely is The Night" popped into my head.

Wow, downer. I'll see you all later. Time to get ready for work.

Ruby2 07-30-2015 05:22 AM

No, Tetra, things will never be the same again. They'll be different but you will keep on, holding all the love you and your grandmother had for each other and the lessons she taught you in your heart. You're in my thoughts.

Lola23 07-30-2015 05:32 AM

Hi All,

Tetra - I'm very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I'm sure you will miss her. (((HUGS)) across the internet from a stranger.

Ruby2 - How funny, I think of summer as a quite a lonely time as well. I remember as a kid, reading in my backyard on the hammock, falling asleep in the sun, and fantasizing how one day my life would be how I wanted it to be. I daydreamed that I would go away with on trips in the summer like my schoolmates did, or casually go over to a friends house to pass the long summer days. I never seemed to have any real friends though, and anyways, my parents would not just let me go over to a friend's house for no reason w/o it being a long anxiety inducing discussion about what we'd be doing, who would be there, what do their parents do, etc.

That habit of daydream continued on in my life actually...dreaming that one day I'd have a partner, get married, have kids. Have that life that seems to come so naturally to so many others, and most people take for granted. Meanwhile, none of those things happened. While my co-workers discuss summer plans, I will be spending the summer much like I do the rest of the year, alone with a book. If I'm lucky, I can go down to my pool and lose myself in whatever I am reading.

Didn't mean to start on a downer note! But just how I'm feeling today. Also doesn't help that it is a killer week workwise, I haven't gotten much sleep, absolutely no exercise, and my eating has been terrible. And going to have to keep my mood in check though as I finish off this project hopefully tomorrow.

Talk to you all soon.

gettingsmarter 07-30-2015 05:40 AM

QAF I wanna go to Scotland! Guys wear kilts, what do the ladies wear?
Freshman HS summer I discovered "The Wall" and listened to it a million times.

Today is 100 days sober! I love it.

letitgo 07-30-2015 05:45 AM

Hopping on the weekender. Have a great Thursday!

Olive1 07-30-2015 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 (Post 5488398)

As we stay sober this weekend share some of your favorite summer music memories.

But wait? Can you hear it? I can... The sober bells of freedom are gonna ring over this summer concert!!!!

Well. This is what happens when you wake at o.dark.32 and in a sleepwalking attempt to make shotgun, you do not read all the directions.
Favorite summer songs.
;)

This one always reminds me of summer. Don't know why. Perhaps it is because it was a hot summer day on a sailboat near Vancouver Island when I first heard it.
:)

happyandfree 07-30-2015 06:18 AM

I'm in!
I'm loving this sober summer and all sober weekends.
Thanks to Spotify, I have wonderful music in my house to fit any mood. Best thing that happened to music.
Qaf...I want to go to Scotland too. It sounds so beautiful.
Gettingsmarter. ..congratulations on 100 days! Way to go!
Hang in there, Tetra. Funerals are tough...
ok..see you later.

Charlie117926 07-30-2015 06:20 AM

Good morning everyone. I'm In!!!

Surrender2win 07-30-2015 06:25 AM

Count me in as well!! :)

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

dwtbd 07-30-2015 06:34 AM

Practically anytime I hear Gerry Rafferty's voice , I can almost feel the too hot Jersey sand and smell the sea air mixed with boardwalk fries.
Hard to believe my kids will get the same nostalgic kick when someone utters the phrase "aint no holla back girl"
Timely thread, headed out this weekend to the Jersey Shore, may hit Delaware Beaches too. Me and the missus are throwing stuff in the car and headed um that way, we'll see where we end up :)

MLD51 07-30-2015 06:36 AM

Oh, Gerry Rafferty. One of my favorites.

biminiblue 07-30-2015 06:52 AM

Tetra, I really still feel all my family around even though they have been gone many years. Hugs to you today and in the next weeks as you sort through your emotions. She wants the best for you.

hm. So. Many. Songs.

Jimmy Buffett anything is summer to me. :) I'm going with Margaritaville. "Blew out my flipflop..." (I'm not gonna link it, probably in bad taste.) 18 was the legal drinking age in FLA when I was 18. Have I mentioned what a bad idea that was? I loved and still love summer. I'm so easily amused that friends were never my heart's desire. I like to have someone to do things with, but I'm just fine without it, too. Only child syndrome.

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb...4-C68F7EC0.jpg

IN.

Tetra 07-30-2015 06:52 AM

My mother in full martyr mode would drive anybody to drink.
I am trying to breath deeply and thankful for the Antabuse I took last night.
Thank you for all your kind words.
Talk to you later x

Behan 07-30-2015 06:58 AM

Very sorry for your loss Tetra - I hope you get through the day.

Welcome to all recent passengers!!

Well done on 100 day GettingSmarter!! That's amazing!!

Some nice songs mentioned already, some I know, some I have yet to discover.

B

ulfr 07-30-2015 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter (Post 5488589)
Freshman HS summer I discovered "The Wall" and listened to it a million times.

Today is 100 days sober! I love it.

No only bagpipe players wear a kilt here or people going to a wedding

Well done on 100 days sober

biminiblue 07-30-2015 07:05 AM

Tetra, when my mother's dad died she was a bit stressed, to say the least. I know when I get stressed all my bad habits get exaggerated. We were all super-sensitive. It's just a really hard time for all of you.

It's going to be a while before your family is able to relax. Hang on. We all (unfortunately) have to navigate this stuff. It's going to be okay.

trachemys 07-30-2015 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter (Post 5488589)

Chastity belts