SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I really wanted to get drunk.. I didn't (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371630-i-really-wanted-get-drunk-i-didnt.html)

Trees39 07-14-2015 10:59 PM

I really wanted to get drunk.. I didn't

I stuffed up at work. Nothing major really, but my bosses are feeling red faced and worried about impact on them.

It started to play on my mind and I left the house to get 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of vodka.

I drove and parked up. I convinced myself to drive home again. I got halfway home and I turned around, drive back to bottle shop and parked up.

I got out of the car and stood beside it in the pouring rain. I got back in the car. Sat there. Read some of my posts and let a big sigh and drove home. All the way home this time.

It occurred to me that I was acting like a crazy person and really best thing was to go home and sleep on it. Closest call in a long time.
I didn't just want a drink I wanted total annihilation. I think that's what makes me a problem drinker.

Dee74 07-14-2015 11:05 PM

I'm really glad youdidn'tTrees :)

D

CaseyW 07-14-2015 11:17 PM

Glad you made the decision to not take that first drink. Close call or not, you're still sober. Very proud of you for giving yourself that "pause" to really think about what you were about to do. Stay close. We're here for times just like this.

Soberween 07-14-2015 11:33 PM

You will be so relieved when you wake up tomorrow morning and know you didn't drink. Good job on saying absolutely not to your AV. Alcohol would give a 5 second relief (maybe) once it hit your blood stream and from there it would all be down hill. Are those 5 seconds of relief worth being miserable for the better part of tomorrow? I once heard that "alcohol steals tomorrow's happiness." This is so true.

soberclover 07-15-2015 01:51 AM

Trees, it made me feel good reading your post this morning as I too had a rough night last night as my heart was really hurting. I rearranged my living room furniture and tried to keep myself busy until I dozed off to sleep with the tv on. I knew in my heart that drinking wouldn't really help the problem. Good for you for staying strong.

nyala 07-15-2015 02:41 AM

Thanks, Trees, for sharing this.

You have saved not just yourself but others who will read this.

If/when I ever get close to the bottle store pull again, I shall think of your post.

Of you standing there in the rain. Then getting back in the car.

Powerful.

MIRecovery 07-15-2015 03:43 AM

Cunning, baffling, and powerful and I would add patient

strategery 07-15-2015 06:06 AM

I'm glad you worked through it Trees. Great job!

ccam1973 07-15-2015 06:12 AM

Great job Trees.

So glad you toughed it out and came home empty handed!

Well done.

Ruby2 07-15-2015 07:32 AM

Oh, Trees, I hope you're doing better today. Great work fighting the urge. I know it hurt. I've done that myself. Peaceful thoughts to you.

biminiblue 07-15-2015 07:59 AM

I've posted this before, but I believe that *moment* between reaction and the drink is where recovery happens. Sometimes it's a few minutes, sometimes an hour, sometimes a few drives back and forth from home to bottle store.

Well done.

For me, that's the God moment.

Soberwolf 07-15-2015 08:00 AM

You done amazing Trees

Bunnymen1 07-15-2015 09:05 AM

Well done. I am new to this site, but I'm massively impressed that you stepped back like that. Next time I experience one of my 'triggers', I shall think of you. I now realise that you can stop yourself, and falling off the wagon is not inevitable

Behan 07-15-2015 09:11 AM

Well done, you really fought some very strong impulses. Congratulations!! You will be stronger if they hit next time. You now know what a potential trigger is for you and can work out a plan to deal with it.

Fair play to you,

B

courage2 07-15-2015 09:39 AM

Beautiful Trees! It's getting over those moments that's important. I still have them too. It gets easier to move along out of them. :)

thomas11 07-15-2015 07:23 PM

That shows some backbone right there. Fantastic!

brynn 07-15-2015 07:31 PM

Well done trees! That's the way we do it! :hug:

Zufrieden 07-15-2015 07:45 PM

Good job trees!