SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello and worried (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/371115-hello-worried.html)

Ronker 07-06-2015 03:41 PM

Hello and worried

Hi all,

Well I'm like most id imagine here, not in best shape at present.

I am drinking WAY too much and need to stop.

Ive taken the decision to go see doc n come clean n get some professional detox help.

My apt isn't for another week, don't know if I should try stop now or not, as not sure if something will shut down in my body if I do.

I'm not sure if units are same worldwide, but I'm drinking 90 to 105 units a week.

6-8 beers a night, with the odd bourbon and lately cider, plus share a bottle wine at dinner, then poss more bourbon later.

I get tired easily, not sleeping, feel run down.

Hopefully might find some similar here, and advice on how to proceed with the next week before I can see a professional?

least 07-06-2015 03:50 PM

Welcome to the family. :) I'm glad you're getting a doctor's help to quit. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. It's good you're getting help to get thru it safely.

Hevyn 07-06-2015 03:59 PM

Welcome Ronker. You found a great place.

You're wise to be seeking help with stopping - as Least said, it can be dangerous for some. Good to have you with us - please read around and post as much as you want to.

saoutchik 07-06-2015 04:15 PM

The main thing is the decision to stop drinking Ronker. If you feel up to it now then go for it

Ronker 07-06-2015 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 5454815)
The main thing is the decision to stop drinking Ronker. If you feel up to it now then go for it

Hi
thnx for replies.

I'm up for it alright, but I'm worried about the time between now and seeing professional help.

I could not drink as of tonight, but I knew a friend who stopped n drank appletise, n he died, I'm concerned that I need detoxing slowly possibly in a similar manner to a heroin user who gets on methadone.

Anna 07-06-2015 04:21 PM

I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking.

Detoxing from alcohol can be tricky and unpredictable so I'm glad you plan to talk to your dr.

Mountainmanbob 07-06-2015 04:25 PM

Wouldn't hurt to taper down a little before entering rehab. Although, best not to make any big changes with your intake until you have shared all with your doctor.
Good luck.
Mountainman

Ronker 07-06-2015 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob (Post 5454823)
Wouldn't hurt to taper down a little before entering rehab. Although, best not to make any big changes with your intake until you have shared all with your doctor.
Good luck.
Mountainman

Yup I'm hearing you, I think that might be best to taper until my appt

Dee74 07-06-2015 04:40 PM

Hi Ronker - not sure where in Australia you are (and there's no need to tell me) but have you considered going to a different Dr to get a closer appointment date?

Tapering never worked for me - I just drank it all, as usual.

D

Marcher13 07-06-2015 04:46 PM

Welcome to SR Ronker. I'm an Aussie too and your sentence ...

I get tired easily, not sleeping, feel run down.
resonates with me because that's how I felt two years ago, With the help of SR I became sober and turned my life and health around. You can do it too.

As for the next week, I'd suggest you can all the alcohol out of your house and come to SR to read and learn.

Ronker 07-06-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5454842)
Hi Ronker - not sure where in Australia you are (and there's no need to tell me) but have you considered going to a different Dr to get a closer appointment date?

Tapering never worked for me - I just drank it all, as usual.

D

Hi
thanks but different doctor not easy where I live, you cant just drop in, you need to join the practice. I have asked for any cancellations.

I don't want to taper, id rather see my doc today, but so does everyone so I have to take my place.

thomas11 07-06-2015 06:10 PM

Great decision Ronker. If medical detox is possible for you, go for it. And then hopefully have the resolve to remain sober. Not sure if you've been through alcohol withdrawal before, it varies in severity, but it can be extremely unpleasant. Good luck moving forward.

Angie247 07-06-2015 06:30 PM

Welcome Ronker. I'm glad you are seeing your doctor.

PurpleKnight 07-07-2015 10:12 AM

Welcome to the Forum Ronker!! :wave:

JerryFish 07-07-2015 10:24 AM

I'd take the safe route. You drink quite a lot and are already concerned about heavy withdrawal, which adds anxiety and fear to it. Do you have any condition that would make it dangerous for you to continue drinking until your appointment?

Me personally would wait until the appointment, to be safe. In the meantime, I'd focus on your motivation to quit. What you will do with your new life. The money you'll safe. Get mentally into it so that you're truly ready once the appointment comes.

That is what I would do, IF I couldn't contact my doctor at any time. I don't know what it's like where you live, but over here you can call a doctor for a phone consultation 24/7. If that is possible for you, do that. I promise you it will be a great help.

Ronker 07-07-2015 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JerryFish (Post 5455758)
I'd take the safe route. You drink quite a lot and are already concerned about heavy withdrawal, which adds anxiety and fear to it. Do you have any condition that would make it dangerous for you to continue drinking until your appointment?

Me personally would wait until the appointment, to be safe. In the meantime, I'd focus on your motivation to quit. What you will do with your new life. The money you'll safe. Get mentally into it so that you're truly ready once the appointment comes.

That is what I would do, IF I couldn't contact my doctor at any time. I don't know what it's like where you live, but over here you can call a doctor for a phone consultation 24/7. If that is possible for you, do that. I promise you it will be a great help.

Thanks
good advice.
I didn't drink last night, my apt next wed, its my intention to try have AF days tween now n then but not go totally free incase of bad reactions.

So i'll have exactly a week to go from today till D day!

I shall try to limit, n poss have maybe another one or two AF days.

Mountainmanbob 07-07-2015 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ronker (Post 5456265)
its my intention to try have AF days tween now n then but not go totally free incase of bad reactions.

Seems to be a good plan.
I know of many, many who have stayed sober after treatment.
If I was you I would feel very encouraged at this time.

Gather the starts for your Sober Tool belt while in treatment.
Then stay away from that first drink and work your Program.

It's a good life for the sober drunk.
Enjoy

Mountainmanbob