Notices

Hello and worried

Old 07-06-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello and worried

Hi all,

Well I'm like most id imagine here, not in best shape at present.

I am drinking WAY too much and need to stop.

Ive taken the decision to go see doc n come clean n get some professional detox help.

My apt isn't for another week, don't know if I should try stop now or not, as not sure if something will shut down in my body if I do.

I'm not sure if units are same worldwide, but I'm drinking 90 to 105 units a week.

6-8 beers a night, with the odd bourbon and lately cider, plus share a bottle wine at dinner, then poss more bourbon later.

I get tired easily, not sleeping, feel run down.

Hopefully might find some similar here, and advice on how to proceed with the next week before I can see a professional?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you're getting a doctor's help to quit. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. It's good you're getting help to get thru it safely.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Ronker. You found a great place.

You're wise to be seeking help with stopping - as Least said, it can be dangerous for some. Good to have you with us - please read around and post as much as you want to.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

The main thing is the decision to stop drinking Ronker. If you feel up to it now then go for it
Old 07-06-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
The main thing is the decision to stop drinking Ronker. If you feel up to it now then go for it
Hi
thnx for replies.

I'm up for it alright, but I'm worried about the time between now and seeing professional help.

I could not drink as of tonight, but I knew a friend who stopped n drank appletise, n he died, I'm concerned that I need detoxing slowly possibly in a similar manner to a heroin user who gets on methadone.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking.

Detoxing from alcohol can be tricky and unpredictable so I'm glad you plan to talk to your dr.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wouldn't hurt to taper down a little before entering rehab. Although, best not to make any big changes with your intake until you have shared all with your doctor.
Good luck.
Mountainman
Old 07-06-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Wouldn't hurt to taper down a little before entering rehab. Although, best not to make any big changes with your intake until you have shared all with your doctor.
Good luck.
Mountainman
Yup I'm hearing you, I think that might be best to taper until my appt
Old 07-06-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ronker - not sure where in Australia you are (and there's no need to tell me) but have you considered going to a different Dr to get a closer appointment date?

Tapering never worked for me - I just drank it all, as usual.

D
Old 07-06-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ronker. I'm an Aussie too and your sentence ...

I get tired easily, not sleeping, feel run down.
resonates with me because that's how I felt two years ago, With the help of SR I became sober and turned my life and health around. You can do it too.

As for the next week, I'd suggest you can all the alcohol out of your house and come to SR to read and learn.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Ronker - not sure where in Australia you are (and there's no need to tell me) but have you considered going to a different Dr to get a closer appointment date?

Tapering never worked for me - I just drank it all, as usual.

D
Hi
thanks but different doctor not easy where I live, you cant just drop in, you need to join the practice. I have asked for any cancellations.

I don't want to taper, id rather see my doc today, but so does everyone so I have to take my place.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great decision Ronker. If medical detox is possible for you, go for it. And then hopefully have the resolve to remain sober. Not sure if you've been through alcohol withdrawal before, it varies in severity, but it can be extremely unpleasant. Good luck moving forward.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Ronker. I'm glad you are seeing your doctor.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ronker!!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd take the safe route. You drink quite a lot and are already concerned about heavy withdrawal, which adds anxiety and fear to it. Do you have any condition that would make it dangerous for you to continue drinking until your appointment?

Me personally would wait until the appointment, to be safe. In the meantime, I'd focus on your motivation to quit. What you will do with your new life. The money you'll safe. Get mentally into it so that you're truly ready once the appointment comes.

That is what I would do, IF I couldn't contact my doctor at any time. I don't know what it's like where you live, but over here you can call a doctor for a phone consultation 24/7. If that is possible for you, do that. I promise you it will be a great help.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JerryFish View Post
I'd take the safe route. You drink quite a lot and are already concerned about heavy withdrawal, which adds anxiety and fear to it. Do you have any condition that would make it dangerous for you to continue drinking until your appointment?

Me personally would wait until the appointment, to be safe. In the meantime, I'd focus on your motivation to quit. What you will do with your new life. The money you'll safe. Get mentally into it so that you're truly ready once the appointment comes.

That is what I would do, IF I couldn't contact my doctor at any time. I don't know what it's like where you live, but over here you can call a doctor for a phone consultation 24/7. If that is possible for you, do that. I promise you it will be a great help.
Thanks
good advice.
I didn't drink last night, my apt next wed, its my intention to try have AF days tween now n then but not go totally free incase of bad reactions.

So i'll have exactly a week to go from today till D day!

I shall try to limit, n poss have maybe another one or two AF days.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ronker View Post
its my intention to try have AF days tween now n then but not go totally free incase of bad reactions.
Seems to be a good plan.
I know of many, many who have stayed sober after treatment.
If I was you I would feel very encouraged at this time.

Gather the starts for your Sober Tool belt while in treatment.
Then stay away from that first drink and work your Program.

It's a good life for the sober drunk.
Enjoy

Mountainmanbob