SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Going through withdrawals (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370755-going-through-withdrawals.html)

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:14 PM

Going through withdrawals

I stopped drinking Sunday. The last couple of days have been the worst withdrawal I've been through. Any tips on how to ease the symptoms?

Anna 06-30-2015 04:26 PM

Welcome!

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr because withdrawals can be tricky and dangerous. Other than that, just rest and relax if you can.

sva777 06-30-2015 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mario1 (Post 5446589)
I stopped drinking Sunday. The last couple of days have been the worst withdrawal I've been through. Any tips on how to ease the symptoms?

What kind of symptoms do you have?

soberclover 06-30-2015 04:27 PM

For me drinking a lot of water and getting rest and healthy food was helpful. Also be gentle with yourself. There is no exact way to do this early stuff...we are all different. If your gut tells you that things aren't good with you, I strongly suggest getting medical attention. Popping on here posting as well as reading all you can will help as it is a reminder that you aren't alone AND that sobriety really is possible :)

feren 06-30-2015 04:29 PM

Possibly not a great one health wise but after 2 days sober/ill/not eating I then got a dominoes pizza. As soon as I started eating my body remembered how starved it was.

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 5446600)
Welcome!

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr because withdrawals can be tricky and dangerous. Other than that, just rest and relax if you can.

Thank you. I'm trying to rest but haven't been able to sleep.

feren 06-30-2015 04:31 PM

Yes as said as much water as poss..I found drinking it kind of got a good habit.

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by sva777 (Post 5446601)
What kind of symptoms do you have?

Can't eat, can't sleep, but if I get up to do anything I vomit, can't stop moving around, I keep shaking, I'm confused, pressure in my chest

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by soberclover (Post 5446603)
For me drinking a lot of water and getting rest and healthy food was helpful. Also be gentle with yourself. There is no exact way to do this early stuff...we are all different. If your gut tells you that things aren't good with you, I strongly suggest getting medical attention. Popping on here posting as well as reading all you can will help as it is a reminder that you aren't alone AND that sobriety really is possible :)

Thank you so much. It feels good to know there are people out there who have gotten through this.

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by feren (Post 5446608)
Possibly not a great one health wise but after 2 days sober/ill/not eating I then got a dominoes pizza. As soon as I started eating my body remembered how starved it was.

It's hard to think about eating. I can't really keep anything down. My stomach keeps yelling at me though.

feren 06-30-2015 04:38 PM

Sorry to hear that Mario. Try and at least sip water every few mins to keep hydrated? Or sugary drinks like blackurant?

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by feren (Post 5446611)
Yes as said as much water as poss..I found drinking it kind of got a good habit.

Water seems to be the only thing staying down. I tried drinking a soda and some juice because I heard having a bit of sugar helps. I couldn't keep any of that in.

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by feren (Post 5446623)
Sorry to hear that Mario. Try and at least sip water every few mins to keep hydrated? Or sugary drinks like blackurant?

Water stays down. I tried soda and juice but none of that stayed. What is blackurant?

feren 06-30-2015 04:41 PM

I'm on my second day so am sure others can offer better advice? But maybe just focus on fluids/ vitamins if you have tonite then plain toast or crackers in the morning?

feren 06-30-2015 04:43 PM

Or orange juice? Maybe just stick to a tonne of water, drink quite a bit thwn later just a bit at a time. Only speaking from my own experience

Mario1 06-30-2015 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by feren (Post 5446628)
I'm on my second day so am sure others can offer better advice? But maybe just focus on fluids/ vitamins if you have tonite then plain toast or crackers in the morning?

I will try that. Is there anything that helps you get to sleep? It's only been a couple of days but it feels like I've been laying here trying to sleep for weeks

feren 06-30-2015 04:46 PM

Just blackcurrant juice. Any fruit juice maybe. Hope u feel better tomora

Anna 06-30-2015 04:47 PM

Sleep will come but it might take a few days for it to settle.

Do talk to your dr if you are worried.

And, please know that we can't give any kind of Medical advice.

feren 06-30-2015 04:48 PM

Soz mate not for sleep.. in my exp (only) I just had to wait it out..but water as much as poss helps over time.

feren 06-30-2015 04:57 PM

Also as well as multivits I am back on high strength fish oils from holland and barrets.. help the brain. Good luck