SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Dog days are over (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370314-dog-days-over.html)

Behan 06-24-2015 09:16 AM

Dog days are over

Greetings all,

I have been reading and posting on SR since January 2015, but I rarely start my own thread. Perhaps I am sleep deprived now, but I feel like starting one now.

Today I have exceeded 170 days without an alcoholic drink. Never, at any point in my adult life, did I imagine that it was possible to go this long without consuming some form of mind altering substance.

As I look back, I realise I have spent most of my adult life engaging in a process of self medication. It started with heavy cannabis use, which became daily, which became first thing in the morning until last thing at night. I can't believe I completed my degree, as I was essentially intoxicated throughout. I then progressed to alcohol and other drugs, then mostly alcohol, with some brief periods of reprieve.

I used substances to medicate and tranquillise anxiety, depression, fear, and sadness. I also drank when I was happy. I connected substances to work, study and leisure activities. Alcohol became inextricable with family, friendships, relationships, even children. I self medicated as I made my journey through social space-time, tranquillising the moment-to-moment units of raw experience. This process of medication transformed my experience to madness, as I damaged others around me and damaged myself.

Although at 170 days and with a questionable expectation that everything should be normal by now, this is still early days. I am trying to learn to deal with reality, other people, and myself, as my sober self. Sometimes anxious, sometimes depressed, sometimes happy, sometimes connected to others.

Dog Days are Over is a song by Florence and the Machine, which has been playing in my mind all day. I encourage you to listen to it and it's wonderful lyrics.

My best wishes to you all,

B

Weasel1966 06-24-2015 09:35 AM

Great thread Mr. Behan!

Congrats on 170 days.

I had you in my thoughts this week to send you a note asking specifically how you are. You post but not directly about how you are handling things. Now I know.! :D

Little B arrives in short order. A new place. A new sober life. Stay strong. Really glad I got to know you!

Ken

LBrain 06-24-2015 09:40 AM

yep, I agree with weasel...
congrats on 170 days and counting, glad you are with us.

FATM opened for U2 in Lansing at spartan stadium a few years ago. They finished with dog days are over... U2 was pretty good 2. Coolest visual setup ever this 360 deg monstrosity video display - awesome...

least 06-24-2015 09:41 AM

Congrats on 170 days sober! :scoregood

BBQBOY 06-24-2015 09:42 AM

Way to go!! Here's to living life on life's terms...

MIRecovery 06-24-2015 09:44 AM

This long term sobriety stuff is hard. We built our whole world's around self medication and one day the medication was gone.

If I'm not the person I was, who the heck am i? For me I take it a day at a time. Each challenge is a learning experience and I do the best I can. One thing that has helped a lot is AA. I see how other people deal with life and it gives me a road map of how I should deal with things.

Each day I get just a little bit better and for me that is as good as it gets

PurpleKnight 06-24-2015 10:35 AM

170 Days is fantastic!! :You_Rock_

brynn 06-24-2015 10:40 AM

You've got a lot of insight, Behan. Congrats on 170 days and counting!
Thanks for sharing with us!

Soberpotamus 06-24-2015 10:44 AM

You're doing fantastic, Behan :) Yeah, still fairly early. Things will ease up. Keep on going.

Love Florence and love that song :) Now I'm gonna have to play it.

gettingsmarter 06-24-2015 10:45 AM

Great job on 170 Behan!

Soberwolf 06-24-2015 11:29 AM

Awesome job on 170 days sober exellent post Behan

IfYouCanDream 06-24-2015 12:26 PM

Congrats on 170 days! That's a great accomplishment.

I'm absolutely the biggest fan of Florence you'll ever meet :-) Did you know she had drinking issues herself?

Behan 06-24-2015 12:48 PM

Thank you one and all for your kind words and encouragement. It means the world! :)

saoutchik 06-24-2015 01:07 PM

Thank you for that really interesting and encouraging post Behan. I'm really enjoying seeing things go well for you

Oh and congratulations on 170 days

Dee74 06-24-2015 04:03 PM

Congrats on 170 days Behan - and thanks for the thought provoking post :)

D

rachelle77 06-24-2015 06:40 PM

Congratulations on 170 days sober!

I too love that song and will listen to it tonight. And tomorrow upon fist waking up so I can give myself a little happy jump start to my day. Thank you for your post.

Hevyn 06-24-2015 07:07 PM

Great song, and so appropriate.

Behan, we are proud of your accomplishment - 170 days is fabulous. Even better things are yet to come.

mebutmuchbetter 06-24-2015 07:12 PM

Good read! Nice one :)

sugarbear1 06-24-2015 07:48 PM

Thank you!

She sounds a lot like Annie Lennox

Ruby2 06-24-2015 08:07 PM

Behan, congratulations on 170 days though it will be 171 by the time you read this. I think your post is great insight and I do enjoy that Florence & the Machines song.