SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me how to stay sober? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/366789-can-anyone-tell-me-how-stay-sober.html)

TempeBrenn 05-11-2015 04:41 AM

I will. Day 1 for me. Your posts echo my own feelings.

Dee74 05-11-2015 04:59 AM

welcome back Tempe :)

best wishes guys :)

D

Hamartia 05-11-2015 05:17 AM

Ok! Tempe. Let's do this. Stay with me throughout the day. When I start to get anxious or really dying for a drink, I'm gonna run away from wherever I am and change my thoughts somehow -- grab anything but that damn bottle! I won't let you down -- I won't let me down.

Hamartia 05-11-2015 05:21 AM

Poem I got from buk1000

If you're going to try, go all the way!
Do it, Do it, Do it, Do it!

(There is more to the poem, but this is all I have time to write).

This is by Charles Bakowski

buk1000 05-11-2015 05:41 AM

Good morning Hamartia. You've laid out a good plan. And today is the right day.

Needanewme 05-11-2015 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hamartia (Post 5363023)
buk1000,
I have used alcohol to keep me going for the past 16 years. My husband died at a very young age of a rare type of cancer. I raised my daughter alone, and after she was married for two years and had a beautiful baby girl, her husband, my son-in-law, was in a tragic automobile accident. He lost his legs, his vision, and the use of his hands. I have helped my daughter with all of this, but I have used alcohol when I felt like I couldn't do one more thing. Things are better now, but I still turn to alcohol at the end of the day. I have re-married, and have finally acknowledged my mistake. But, we have been married for many years now, and I can't see my way out of all of this -- my life in a paragraph. But what do you do hour by hour to stay away from the alcohol?

I try to read what people like me are writing on these forums. I am less than 1 week into my first real attempt at sobriety. I also have reached out to a counselor.

lilac0721 05-11-2015 05:54 AM

Good plan, Hamartia!

Welcome back, TempeBrenn!

Day 2 here. I think the only reason I made it through yesterday was because liquor stores aren't open on Sundays in Utah. But I slept well and feel good today, so now I have that momentum.

Ruby2 05-11-2015 08:31 AM

You guys are awesome. And you're strong. You're stronger than you think you are because it takes a strong person to stand up and say "here I am! I need help.". Do you understand just how powerful that is? Probably not at the moment.

I absolutely could not stop. Every day was day one. I was so desperate to feel better. To stop hating myself. You can do this. One day at a time.

Ultimately, I did check myself in to inpatient treatment to get away and get a break. It felt so nice to let go of the reins.

Check in frequently. Ask for help. Take care of yourselves.

TempeBrenn 05-11-2015 08:56 AM

I know I won't drink today because of how sick I feel, physically and emotionally. My craving will come tomorrow evening when I'm feeling better and I'll tell myself one or two glasses of wine with dinner will be ok. Emptied the wine and plan to not go to grocery store. Hubby will help.

buk1000 05-11-2015 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by TempeBrenn (Post 5365613)
I know I won't drink today because of how sick I feel, physically and emotionally. My craving will come tomorrow evening when I'm feeling better and I'll tell myself one or two glasses of wine with dinner will be ok. Emptied the wine and plan to not go to grocery store. Hubby will help.

That's great Tempe. Do you have some ideas about what you can do when the cravings hit?

TempeBrenn 05-11-2015 11:12 AM

It's all about ambience for me. Think I will resurrect my China teapot and ceremoniously drink green tea with honey.

buk1000 05-11-2015 11:19 AM

Excellent.

Hawkeye13 05-11-2015 12:23 PM

I'm rooting for you both

You can do it--just push through the cravings and if they get really bad,
buy some quality ice cream and eat it. Really helps.

Hamartia 05-11-2015 01:31 PM

Tempe! Me too! I make alcohol really pretty -- crystal decanters, etc. -- never mind the fact that I might as well be drinking the ebola virus!

Hamartia 05-11-2015 01:32 PM

Hang in there!!!!! Do this with me! It's 3:32 here -- (not that i'm counting. Lol

TempeBrenn 05-11-2015 01:43 PM

4:45 here. Heading home from airport. Plan to have some tea and then sleep....if I can. Teaching my exercise class at 7 am. So need some good zzz's.

You can do this.

Hamartia 05-11-2015 06:57 PM

Didn't make it, but it's okay

Tempe, I had a glass of wine, and (for me) that's a huge accomplishment. Didn't do this perfect, but I'll keep going -- perfect for one person is not perfect for another. I keep trying -- how about you?

buk1000 05-11-2015 07:08 PM

From one to zero is a small step Hamartia. Keep at it.

freshstart57 05-11-2015 08:21 PM

We think during that anxious times that alcohol helps us cope. It doesn't. Alcohol makes us more anxious.

We think that during depressing times, alcohol helps us cope. It doesn't. Alcohol makes us more depressed.

We think that during times of grief, alcohol helps us cope. It doesn't. Alcohol makes the grieving deeper, more hopeless, and delays our acceptance and growth.

There is nothing that alcohol can do for us anymore. Maybe in the past, in the beginning, it was 'fun', but for us, those days are long gone, and will never return. Ever. Accept this truth.

Anything of value which we still have, we will lose if we continue to drink. We can have a long life with some hope and happiness and joy in it, or a short one full of misery and shame and guilt and sickness.

But here's the thing: you CAN do this. Absolutely. And you will, some day, we both know that. But today is the best day to do it, anything else is a waste of time, of money, of health, of hope. It is a waste of you.

You can quit drinking for good, Hamartia. I like your plan - it sounds great. You deserve this, and once you decide that, once you decide you are worthy of it, you shall have it. I believe in you, Hamartia. I really honestly do. You can believe in yourself, it really is OK to believe in yourself. That's how you will win.

Please keep posting.

jackturner838 05-12-2015 01:59 AM

Nothing Is Impossible

Solution is always there, if you make solid commitment with yourself then you can get rid of this habit. Make yourself busy in other activities. Take support of an addiction treatment center for best results.