SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My first real challenge begins in 30 minutes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/362648-my-first-real-challenge-begins-30-minutes.html)

DrunkenDonuts 03-20-2015 09:34 PM

My first real challenge begins in 30 minutes

Hi SR. I've been sober now for 53 days, but I have always had some sort of crutch or support for that whole time.

Most of the period I have been taking antabuse, which has ruled out the drinking quite quickly, and other times, I've had the company of people who don't drink.

Today at 1pm local time, I will be alone and I haven't been able to get antabuse for over a week. (I did manage to source some from another state, but it hasn't arrived yet).

At this time on previous Saturdays, I have started my binge. On more than one occasion.

I am writing here to stay focused and hopefully avoid drinking.

May go for a walk later, or cook something. But will be here and hope to post in a sober fashion.

If anyone in Australia is interested in getting medication across state borders (legally) I am the man to ask btw :)

Dee74 03-20-2015 09:38 PM

just stay close to SR DD :)

D

MariahGayle 03-20-2015 09:52 PM

Glad you posted DD & Glad you are here.

DrunkenDonuts 03-20-2015 09:59 PM

Thanks Dee and Mariah :) Am about to head to the shop. Will pass liquorland.

immri 03-20-2015 10:09 PM

Definitely keep coming back here this arvo and tonight! That always helps me when there's no one else around to keep me in check(which I need in early days!) I don't know if going past liqorland is the best idea though, I don't think I could do that if I wasn't feeling 100%, but if you do have to just do NOT go in, even if you want to or think you'll just buy soda or something.
Cooking sounds like a nice distraction though. Do you have something to do tonight? To keep busy?

esinger 03-20-2015 10:14 PM

Gotta put down the crutches sooner or later. Bet those sober legs are stronger than you think. You got this.

FeelingGreat 03-20-2015 10:23 PM

Forewarned is forearmed DD. I found it easier to resist when I was prepared; you're prepared and I'm sure you'll resist.

Use all your tools.

DrunkenDonuts 03-20-2015 11:33 PM

Thanks guys :) Went to the shop and got some passata and purple garlic cos it's the best right?

So, picked the basil and oregano, washed it and also picked a few bay leaves.

2 onions, 5 cloves garlic, 2 tubs tomato paste, 1/2 cup tomato ketchup, 1 tin diced tomatoes, 1 jar passata, 500g mince handful fresh basil, handful fresh oregano... And.. 1/2 a bottle of red wine. (I don't like wine - but it tastes good in food).

Time for spaghetti!

:lala

Thepatman 03-20-2015 11:52 PM

Good stuff! Cook some good sauce and send some here.

88 hungry Avenue

About Antabuse, it's like a walking aid, maybe your sobriety legs are stronger than you think. Trust yourself, I know I do!

ReadyAtLast 03-21-2015 12:16 AM

You're stronger than you think- congrats on 53 days. You can do this. If you are worried though maybe wine for cooking isn't a great idea? I know for me in a moment of weakness it's just too easy if it is there looking at me. Food tastes just as great without the booze in it :)

Dee74 03-21-2015 12:31 AM

I know....diff'rent strokes...but I gotta put my vote in for wine free sauce too.

I don't miss it :)

D

Stu Purple 03-21-2015 01:04 AM

Keep posting DD and you'll get through this. :)

DrunkenDonuts 03-21-2015 01:25 AM

Thanks again guys. 4.22pm and it's nearly over. Going to take a nap for the last hour or so. I didn't drink any of the wine so that's okay.

There is beer in the fridge as well but it's not mine so I don't drink it. It's been there the whole 53 days. :p.

I'll come back a bit later :)

Crasfd 03-21-2015 01:32 AM

No wine for me either. I'm 100% against any form of alcohol ever again.
I don't even wana see a bottle of anything.

SoberLife90 03-21-2015 01:48 AM

You can do it! Can't use those crutches forever!

Mentium 03-21-2015 02:19 AM

You have wine and beer in the house? Excuse my incredulity, but the very first thing I did on the morning of day one was ditch about two litres of wine and 8 cans of lager - straight down the sink!

Not criticising - just that having it around wouldn't work for my - at least during the first few days.

Glad you have made it through anyhow!

DrunkenDonuts 03-21-2015 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mentium (Post 5273046)
You have wine and beer in the house? Excuse my incredulity, but the very first thing I did on the morning of day one was ditch about two litres of wine and 8 cans of lager - straight down the sink!

Not criticising - just that having it around wouldn't work for my - at least during the first few days.

Glad you have made it through anyhow!

Hi Mentium. One thing I don't seem to have in common with a lot of people oin here is that I am a tight-arse. A bottle of spirits in Australia is typically $35+ with a 24 carton of beer starting from $40.

When I was drinking, I didn't ever throw any alcohol out. Because I am tight. I would just drink whatever I had before starting my quit period.

The wine and beer in the house don't belong to me, so if I took it I'd be stealing. The house isn't mine either, so I can't tell the other people what they can and can't do.

I don't know why I'm not triggered by the stuff in the house. Just glad I'm not. :theyareon

PurpleKnight 03-21-2015 07:03 AM

You can do this DrunkenDonuts!! Keep pushing through with your 53 Days!! :)

LBrain 03-21-2015 07:17 AM

just because I was in someone's house and it wasn't mine, didn't stop me when I was drinking.

I like the crutches reference too.

But I seemed to think from your original post that you were actually planning to drink - unknowingly in your head.
It's kinda like, 'I know it's going to hurt when you pull off this band-aid' versus, 'It will feel good to finally have this band-aid removed'.

Soberwolf 03-21-2015 07:28 AM

I agree with D