SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   This is going to kill me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/359397-going-kill-me.html)

SoberLeigh 02-14-2015 06:05 PM

Keeping looking to the future, Scared. Believe in the sobriety that CAN be yours. All of us here have been where you are - sick, worried, anxious, hopeless, despairing and the list goes on. You have the power to create a better and brighter future for yourself but you have to flip the switch.

Della1968 02-14-2015 06:08 PM

I have to say since I quit other than the first day my anxiety is 1000 times better.

Sasha4 02-14-2015 06:09 PM

Can you go do something that will take your mind off the thoughts you are having?

Could you watch a film or go for a walk?

You are not going to die.
You are hungover.

Have you drunk enough water?
If you are badly dehydrated, that can make you panicky and anxious too.

Do you have any rehydration sachets you mix with water that help when you have an upset tummy?
Drinking one of those is equivalent to drinking around 7 pints of water.
If you can, get one and drink it. You can buy them at the pharmacy or the supermarket.

Remember that with every minute that passes, more alcohol is leaving your system.
Try to visualise that happening.

For me, this is the vile power that alcohol can wield over a person.
It is such nasty, toxic, disgusting stuff it can make us think we are dying.
There is no way I am going to let that hideous stuff, that is classed as a 'fun thing to do', make me feel so low ever again.

You know you never have to feel like this again if you don't want?

SoberLeigh 02-14-2015 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Della1968 (Post 5202038)
I have to say since I quit other than the first day my anxiety is 1000 times better.

Mine, too, Della.

Scared1234 02-14-2015 06:11 PM

It's gonna be ok right guys? This passes and you get stronger each day. I just need to weather the storm today.. Everything's gonna be ok ya?

esinger 02-14-2015 06:11 PM

It doesn't have to be like this Scared. After jumping off the wagon a few times and bruising and bloodying myself up worse each time, I found it's easier and less painful to stay on and learn to enjoy the ride.

Scared1234 02-14-2015 06:14 PM

Esinger, I just don't learn my lesson and then one day life is gonna teach me a nice one when I die young

Sasha4 02-14-2015 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 5202043)
Mine, too, Della.

Mine 3! xx

Nowsthetime 02-14-2015 06:15 PM

Hi: it was the hangover from hell after a scary blackout that finally made it clic for me. We NEVER have to feel like that again. NEVER! I hope this makes it clic for you. Remember this day and make it fuel for your sobriety.

deadlydame 02-14-2015 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scared1234 (Post 5202028)
No I don't wanna leave my house

Scared, I agree with other members here. You should check yourself in an ER/detox/hospital and get medical help. Going through withdrawals by yourself can be very dangerous at many levels. Your intense anxiety, your suicidal thoughts and more could all pertain to alcohol withdrawal. Why go trhough them alone when you can get medical attention and therefore more chances to succeed in remaining sober in the long run? why make it harder than it really is? I went to detox. could not have done it alone for sure. Best of luck, Scared.

hillbillygirl 02-14-2015 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Scared1234 (Post 5202003)
I don't know Dee. I just don't want to feel this right now. I want my brain to calm down. I want this chest tightness to pass. I don't want to obsess over my heart beat anymore. Today is one of those days where I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Today feels like an eternity of pain and panic. I just want to jump off a bridge

I have said these EXACT same words more times than I'd ever try to count. I also drank to the point of blacking out most of the time.
The depths my anxiety took, is beyond anything I could have ever imagined possible. It took control just as much as the drinking. I was in a constant state of hell.
It took me a while to realize that I was self medicating the anxiety with alcohol, and that the alcohol was causing a lot (if not ALL) of the anxiety.
Once I quit drinking, my anxiety lessened and lessened each day.
We know the way out, but we fear the unknown.. but it doesnt have to be that scary after all, we dont have to go at it alone.

I hope you seek the steps necessary to reach recovery.
You can do it!

brynn 02-14-2015 06:17 PM

Alright, but if your symptoms continue and your frightened by them please get to a doctor.
I hope you can get some sleep.

least 02-14-2015 06:21 PM

It won't kill you if you don't let it. Get help to stop drinking. It is possible to have a better life, sober, but it takes some effort on your part.

brynn 02-14-2015 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Scared1234 (Post 5202059)
Esinger, I just don't learn my lesson and then one day life is gonna teach me a nice one when I die young

It doesn't have to be like that. The choice is 100% yours. I hope you choose to live.

esinger 02-14-2015 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Scared1234;5202059]Esinger, I just don't learn my lesson

I think you have the answers. Believe me I know this is tough but you can and will do this. There is no easy way but it all calms down if you can just fight through the early days. Don't be afraid to get some help. It might be humiliating at first but your long term health and happiness are well worth it.

Jen73 02-14-2015 06:29 PM

:Val004: Your not alone!!! Everytime you need to drink, come in here and post!! We are here for you!! SR, has helped me and I been sober for 11 days now.

I have setup a blog and post stuff in there too, which has help my anxiety. I been in two meetings, at first was a little overwhelming, but I made I and the second one got easier!! They are two different kinds of meeting.

I am just saying you can do this!!

Scared1234 02-14-2015 06:34 PM

I read all your guys posts. You are ALL so strong sounding..and sane. I want that too. I can't imagine this type of life anymore. It's too hard to sustain. I can't believe I used to do this binge every day with no panic attacks the next day. Now I drink a couple times a week and I'm completely screwed up the day after

Della1968 02-14-2015 06:37 PM

Trust me a short time ago no one would have called me sane. Distancing yourself from alcohol will do that. You can do it.

hillbillygirl 02-14-2015 06:40 PM

Anxiety issues (at least for me) seemed to progress.

I'm sure if you asked any of us, we didnt feel very sane and not that strong when we first started out.

brynn 02-14-2015 06:42 PM

You can have a sane life, too, scared. It's absolutely doable but you have to put down the bottle first.