SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/353150-hello.html)

MrMilo 12-10-2014 02:56 AM

Hello

Hi, I am new here and finding going sober very very difficult.

I am currently about 2 or 3 days sober, my last drink was monday morning and I have been trying to quit for ages, probably over a year. At the moment I feel aweful, in fact I feel like I am being torn apart. I hurt everywhere and am shaking and sweating and urgh. Last night I was so close to caving in. My thoughts are not at all organised so sorry if this doesnt make much sense, Im just trying to get past these feelings so I can function in some sort of way. Ive been drinking heavily for 7 years after a bad breakup. It started with just getting drunk in the evenings with beer but soon developed into constant drinking of spirits which crippled me financially and almost left me homeless. This has now got to stop before I kill myself.

Sorry for the downer, just things are not too great right now. Peace

Alphabet 12-10-2014 03:05 AM

Welcome, we are all here for you for support. I've been in your shoes many times, as have countless others on here. I'm glad you've found us :)

Dee74 12-10-2014 03:23 AM

Welcoem Mr Milo :)
You'll find a lot of support understanding and hope here :)

No matter how far you've fallen I believe we can get back to where we want to be :)

D

chicory 12-10-2014 03:32 AM

Welcome, Mr. Milo! I am glad you are here.. stick around, you will find some awesome support from some cool people, who understand and care...
best to you,
chicory

JanieJ 12-10-2014 03:42 AM

Welcome, Mrmilo,

Hang in there

Glad to have you with us.

countrygirl2014 12-10-2014 03:51 AM

Ugh those first days feel like crap. Please, hang in there. Once the physical withdrawals go away, you are going to feel amazing. Let yourself heal! Just don't pick up and give it a chance. This part doesn't last forever. Sleep when you want, if possible. Eat when you want, if possible. Spoil yourself in these early days (without alcohol or drugs of course). It's going to get better!

Jennifer

BernieE 12-10-2014 04:00 AM

Welcome, mrmilo, hang in there, you'll feel better soon, and you don't ever have to feel this way again.

steffie 12-10-2014 04:07 AM

A lot of people on SR had similar situations and were able to get themselves sober and into happy and fulfilling lives.

Try to think one day at a time, even one hour at a time without caving into to drinking, and just fight through it.

If you can do a couple days in a row you can definitely make it longer, and it does get easier.

Thepatman 12-10-2014 04:28 AM

Welcome to SR mrmilo :grouphug:

sprout50 12-10-2014 04:31 AM

Welcome to SR Mr.Milo. Jennifer is right. Those first few days can really be rough. It does get better and if you stick with it, you won't have to feel this way ever again.

Someone is always here so if you need help, send out an SOS before you drink again. This place is full of people who have been just where you are now. You can do this.

IOAA2 12-10-2014 06:11 AM

Hi and welcome.

Yes it’s a tough period but there is a positive to it. It helped me to remember what it was like in this period in the future if you are tempted to have “just one.”
I like the saying “ if we don’t pick up the first drink one day at a time in a row we don’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN.”

There is much good help here IF we use it before picking up.

Have you considered a de tox to help you medically over this hump? It might be advisable as it can be dangerous for some of us to just stop.

Millions get the help we need for continuous sobriety at AA meetingS.

BE WELL

Steve123123 12-10-2014 07:01 AM

Welcome, Milo! Thank you for posting. There is no question that the life that you rationally want to live is still within your reach! There are so many great people here who have experienced the physical and emotional trials that result from drinking. I am sincerely confident that you have the capabilities to get your thoughts and feelings organized and be where you want to be.

SoberLeigh 12-10-2014 07:03 AM

Welcome, MrMilo; we are here or you.

Time2Focus 12-10-2014 07:09 AM

Welcome! Coming here for support is a great start. Have you considered reaching out for support in your community? AA is also a good place to find people who understand what you are going through and who can offer support to you.

biminiblue 12-10-2014 07:09 AM

Hang in there, you just have to get over this hump of the early days.

I agree, remember this so you don't have to go through it again.

My mantra was eat, sleep, Netflix, herbal tea, chocolate, AA meeting. That was all I could muster for a good long time.

MrMilo 12-10-2014 12:52 PM

Thanks everyone, I am trying my best. Just been eating a lot today to feel like I got something inside me and might sleep early coz I really am struggling. Almost caved in again not long after posting (walked past the store twice) but forced myself home somehow. I really hope it does get better, Im sure it does.

ardy 12-10-2014 12:56 PM

Hand waving from wisconsin... Hi MrMilo.. welcome to this great group in the waters of life...

SereneEdition 12-10-2014 02:44 PM

Hi MrMilo -

Welcome. Yes, it does get better. By 1 week I felt better physically than I had in a decade.

Stick with it and you'll NEVER have to go through this again.

Soberwolf 12-10-2014 03:21 PM

Welcome to the forum nice to meet you

chicory 12-11-2014 04:33 PM

Mr. Milo, don't stay away. Its not easy, but people do quit!!! You can't do it alone, as they say, so come on back and experience the super support from awesome peeps here.