SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First time posting from long time lurker (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/351396-first-time-posting-long-time-lurker.html)

Shellshocked444 11-21-2014 05:21 PM

First time posting from long time lurker

I feel like I know some of you from reading your helpful and encouraging messages to others. It has only been 3 years that my drinking has gotten out of control but I know I need to stop now. I've been able to stop for 2 or 3 days here and there, but then I feel better almost immediately and figure hey, I don't really have a problem.

Today I've scared myself with the after affects of drinking that I've actually "panicked" myself to stop for good (hope that makes sense). It's one day at a time now.

I will be checking back here often and regularly since I know how much I will need support. Not sure about AA yet, but if I feel I need it I definitely won't give it a miss.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

OklaBH 11-21-2014 05:22 PM

WeLcOmE! You will find alot of support here!

HeartsAfire 11-21-2014 05:25 PM

Welcome to the best decision you've ever made. I'm so glad you came out of the shadows & into the light.

I'm so glad you're here.

Lusher 11-21-2014 05:27 PM

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/...ps618f6fd4.jpg
Hey Shellshocked444- A big welcome! I think it's great that you're doing something about your drinking.

I, too, was "panicked" which resulted in myself stopping. With excessive drinking, I think it will get the better of us sooner or later, so good for you for taking action!

I look forward to seeing you around.

Lusher

Nonsensical 11-21-2014 05:45 PM

Welcome!

Inchworm 11-21-2014 05:46 PM

Welcome, shellshocked! So glad you've joined us! This was the best decision I've ever made and SR has been the core for me. I don't go to AA and neither do quite a few of us but I've heard from others that it is their lifeblood.

Soberwolf 11-21-2014 05:54 PM

Welcome to the forum welcome to the site Shellshocked

SW

Conquest 11-21-2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 (Post 5032106)
I feel like I know some of you from reading your helpful and encouraging messages to others. It has only been 3 years that my drinking has gotten out of control but I know I need to stop now. I've been able to stop for 2 or 3 days here and there, but then I feel better almost immediately and figure hey, I don't really have a problem.

Today I've scared myself with the after affects of drinking that I've actually "panicked" myself to stop for good (hope that makes sense). It's one day at a time now.

I will be checking back here often and regularly since I know how much I will need support. Not sure about AA yet, but if I feel I need it I definitely won't give it a miss.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Hi Shellshocked! I feel like I could've written that exact post 42 days ago. I'm glad you took the big step of making your first post. It has made all the difference for me. Best wishes! :)

Dee74 11-21-2014 06:02 PM

Welcome aboard shellshocked :)

D

Shellshocked444 11-21-2014 06:08 PM

All of your wonderful welcomes made me tear up. Thank you! Lusher and Conquest, I sure hope this panic over my symptoms will be enough to keep me sober. I can't go back. My mother died from this, you'd think I'd know better. I remember what a horrible time that was in my life. My son will soon be a young adult making his way in the world and I definitely want to be around for that.

What a great group this is.

SS

HenryKrinkle 11-21-2014 06:11 PM

Welcome Shellshocked. I'm glad you're here. :)

luvmygirls 11-21-2014 06:34 PM

Welcome, shellshocked! I lurked for a little while before I joined too...welcome to the posting side. I think you'll find a lot of support and understanding here. :)

Shellshocked444 11-21-2014 07:37 PM

Usually the other times I've quit I just go about my days fairly normally with my AV quietly nattering at me. This time I feel such anger at it. It's been a rather crummy day and with my sideffects still lingering from the booze, I guess that doesn't help. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better. Thanks for letting me ramble. I have a feeling I'm gonna be doing that often in these coming days.

Nowsthetime 11-21-2014 07:44 PM

I lurked for a while too but now that I post it has made a HUGE difference. I can "vocalize" my feelings and that way I can see them and it allows me to be more objective. The feedback from people here is also fantastic. I read every day and post when I can or I need to. Welcome!!!

growpath 11-21-2014 07:47 PM

Welcome shellshocked! Glad to have ya here :)

Impurrfect 11-21-2014 07:49 PM

Welcome to SR!!

I lurked her for a long, long time (probably a couple of years?). My vice was crack, but I found wisdom from people here, no matter what their vice or DOC (drug of choice, including alcohol).

I got clean, but was not in recovery. I kept reading here. I went back out, relapsed, or whatever, but the great people here kept drawing me back.

I didn't sign on until I had six months in recovery, more than 7-1/2 years ago. SR, and the people here have gotten me through the trials and tribulations of recovery, and life in general.

I hope you keep reading and posting. Sometimes we need more than friends on the internet to stay in recovery, and I do have that, but I can definitely say that this site, and the people here, are a HUGE part of my recovery.

I lurked, I joined, and I stayed because the people here get me. I pray you find the same:)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

happyandfree 11-21-2014 07:56 PM

Welcome shellshocked....good to see you here. We are all in this together and you will see how helpful this site is.:ring:ring

Shellshocked444 11-21-2014 11:46 PM

Lying in bed feeling twitchy and anxious. Just thinking about not sleeping makes me feel panicky. Another reminder of why I need to get out of this vicious cycle. Past experience tells me that in a couple days I'll be feeling better again and thinking that picking up a drink is a good idea. I look at my thoughts and how absurd that sounds.

I really appreciate all of your posts sharing your own battles and words of encouragement. It does help.

Jay92 11-22-2014 12:01 AM

Maybe im not the one to give advice but in the past ive beaten other addictions, smoking, gambling and junk food. Something i always used to do was write down my thoughts when i was in a sensible mind state. For example when i was having my last smoke...Or last smokes! :P I would write down the reasons i wanted to quit and why. On little sticky notes all over the place. And then when i craving hit i would read the little notes and it helped.

Maybe not the same for drinking but it worked for my other issues :P

Verte 11-22-2014 12:05 AM

Welcome to the forum Shellshocked :) Good to see you here.

My initial advice is to stay away from people, places and things associated with alcohol for now. Drink fizzy water and go easy on yourself. I agree with the already mentioned - best decision of your life.

Go easy on yourself.