Notices

First time posting from long time lurker

Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post First time posting from long time lurker

I feel like I know some of you from reading your helpful and encouraging messages to others. It has only been 3 years that my drinking has gotten out of control but I know I need to stop now. I've been able to stop for 2 or 3 days here and there, but then I feel better almost immediately and figure hey, I don't really have a problem.

Today I've scared myself with the after affects of drinking that I've actually "panicked" myself to stop for good (hope that makes sense). It's one day at a time now.

I will be checking back here often and regularly since I know how much I will need support. Not sure about AA yet, but if I feel I need it I definitely won't give it a miss.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WeLcOmE! You will find alot of support here!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the best decision you've ever made. I'm so glad you came out of the shadows & into the light.

I'm so glad you're here.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Shellshocked444- A big welcome! I think it's great that you're doing something about your drinking.

I, too, was "panicked" which resulted in myself stopping. With excessive drinking, I think it will get the better of us sooner or later, so good for you for taking action!

I look forward to seeing you around.

Lusher
Old 11-21-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, shellshocked! So glad you've joined us! This was the best decision I've ever made and SR has been the core for me. I don't go to AA and neither do quite a few of us but I've heard from others that it is their lifeblood.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum welcome to the site Shellshocked

SW
Old 11-21-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 View Post
I feel like I know some of you from reading your helpful and encouraging messages to others. It has only been 3 years that my drinking has gotten out of control but I know I need to stop now. I've been able to stop for 2 or 3 days here and there, but then I feel better almost immediately and figure hey, I don't really have a problem.

Today I've scared myself with the after affects of drinking that I've actually "panicked" myself to stop for good (hope that makes sense). It's one day at a time now.

I will be checking back here often and regularly since I know how much I will need support. Not sure about AA yet, but if I feel I need it I definitely won't give it a miss.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Hi Shellshocked! I feel like I could've written that exact post 42 days ago. I'm glad you took the big step of making your first post. It has made all the difference for me. Best wishes!
Old 11-21-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard shellshocked

D
Old 11-21-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All of your wonderful welcomes made me tear up. Thank you! Lusher and Conquest, I sure hope this panic over my symptoms will be enough to keep me sober. I can't go back. My mother died from this, you'd think I'd know better. I remember what a horrible time that was in my life. My son will soon be a young adult making his way in the world and I definitely want to be around for that.

What a great group this is.

SS
Old 11-21-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Shellshocked. I'm glad you're here.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, shellshocked! I lurked for a little while before I joined too...welcome to the posting side. I think you'll find a lot of support and understanding here.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Usually the other times I've quit I just go about my days fairly normally with my AV quietly nattering at me. This time I feel such anger at it. It's been a rather crummy day and with my sideffects still lingering from the booze, I guess that doesn't help. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better. Thanks for letting me ramble. I have a feeling I'm gonna be doing that often in these coming days.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I lurked for a while too but now that I post it has made a HUGE difference. I can "vocalize" my feelings and that way I can see them and it allows me to be more objective. The feedback from people here is also fantastic. I read every day and post when I can or I need to. Welcome!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
learning to live

Welcome shellshocked! Glad to have ya here
Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

I lurked her for a long, long time (probably a couple of years?). My vice was crack, but I found wisdom from people here, no matter what their vice or DOC (drug of choice, including alcohol).

I got clean, but was not in recovery. I kept reading here. I went back out, relapsed, or whatever, but the great people here kept drawing me back.

I didn't sign on until I had six months in recovery, more than 7-1/2 years ago. SR, and the people here have gotten me through the trials and tribulations of recovery, and life in general.

I hope you keep reading and posting. Sometimes we need more than friends on the internet to stay in recovery, and I do have that, but I can definitely say that this site, and the people here, are a HUGE part of my recovery.

I lurked, I joined, and I stayed because the people here get me. I pray you find the same

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome shellshocked....good to see you here. We are all in this together and you will see how helpful this site is.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lying in bed feeling twitchy and anxious. Just thinking about not sleeping makes me feel panicky. Another reminder of why I need to get out of this vicious cycle. Past experience tells me that in a couple days I'll be feeling better again and thinking that picking up a drink is a good idea. I look at my thoughts and how absurd that sounds.

I really appreciate all of your posts sharing your own battles and words of encouragement. It does help.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Maybe im not the one to give advice but in the past ive beaten other addictions, smoking, gambling and junk food. Something i always used to do was write down my thoughts when i was in a sensible mind state. For example when i was having my last smoke...Or last smokes! :P I would write down the reasons i wanted to quit and why. On little sticky notes all over the place. And then when i craving hit i would read the little notes and it helped.

Maybe not the same for drinking but it worked for my other issues :P
Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum Shellshocked Good to see you here.

My initial advice is to stay away from people, places and things associated with alcohol for now. Drink fizzy water and go easy on yourself. I agree with the already mentioned - best decision of your life.

Go easy on yourself.