SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The aftermath (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/351351-aftermath.html)

Kero 11-22-2014 08:47 AM

Just a quick update, went to my first AA meeting today and it went really well.

My wife came back last night too. She's a saint (although she did more yelling than I've heard in a long time). She's calmed down and glad I went.

My body is still recovering physically but getting better.

matilda123 11-22-2014 09:52 AM

Good for you, Kero, in taking that first step. :You_Rock_

Dee74 11-22-2014 03:19 PM

Glad things are on the up, Kero :)

D

Hevyn 11-22-2014 04:08 PM

Kero, I'm so glad you're feeling better. You never have to go back to that miserable place. Stick with us. :)

Briar 11-22-2014 05:50 PM

I'm glad things are improving, but don't forget how bad they were just because they're getting better.

paloverde 11-22-2014 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kero (Post 5031335)
I had a good talk with my wife. I think she'll be coming home in a day or two.

What are people's opinions of in-person AA vs online? There's no way I'll be recovered from this hangover by tonight.

What's scary is that there's still a little voice telling me to drink, even after this massive hangover. Thanks again for listening. Talking it out does help.

For me, when I really decided to quit, I went to a local AA meeting every day. Sometimes 3 meetings a day just to keep from buying booze. I'm pretty sure I went everyday for the first 2 months. Currently I'm not going but it sure helped me get through the early days.

Right now I'm at about 6.5 months. I remember being in the exact same situation as you. Wife moved out, drinking all day, not able to eat proper meals, shaky, sick, horrible...

You can do this, just get through it minute by minute and it does get easier once you start feeling better.

You really don't have an alternative, you know...

Kero 11-22-2014 10:25 PM

Thanks as always to everyone. I'm still having terrible insomnia (haven't really slept in days). Having a bit of the Saturday night temptation. Not too bad, but just a little down. Not sleeping at all really is not fun. My body is pretty much back to normal after the aftermath.

My father-in-law has been supportive, but feels the need to come over and "babysit" me anytime my wife is gone (she's babysitting our niece).

Every year my wife hosts Thanksgiving dinner for the family, and the past few years has to pray that I am not too bad until people leave. She cancelled this year, but says if I keep going to AA that we will be back on. I think I need to go Monday through Wednesday, as a 4 day weekend is in my mind perfect for a train wreck.

I'm trying not to think ahead... one day at a time.

Instead of the usual drunk all-nighter, I think I'll have a video game all-nighter.