SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A little intro (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/349734-little-intro.html)

JT0626 11-04-2014 07:34 AM

A little intro

Hi Everyone!

My name is Monica & I live in Maryland. I am 37 years old, married for 5 years, & have a 3 year old daughter.

I don't even know where to begin. I have struggled with codependency almost all my life. I started my journey of healing in 2003. I started going to counseling, attended healing workshops, got out of toxic relationships - I was getting to a point where I was really liking myself! I was making better choices in men & was getting real good at cutting people out of my life.

All of that changed when I got with my husband. We started dating around September of 2008. I started drinking with him, something I rarely did. I was never much of a drinker before I got with my husband. We started dating & I started drinking with him. First, the drinking was on the weekends when we would see each other. Then as time went on, he moved in & we drank every single night together. Our drinking wasn't just a few cocktails, we would get $hit faced drunk together.

As time went on, I started gaining weight. I no longer was eating right & working out anymore - I was drinking. My husband still hung out with his old friends & would stay out all night drinking - coming home well after 8am. He had emotional affairs (by keeping in contact with other females & hiding it from me) & was an awful husband all together. My codependency wouldn't let me leave him though.

Fast forward & I find out I am pregnant. I immediately stopped drinking & started taking better care of myself. My husband kept drinking & I realized that when I wasn't drunk with him, there was a real disconnect in our relationship. Basically, our relationship was based on alcohol!:a090: I didn't have another drink until our daughter was like 5 months old. I started drinking again & it became a nightly thing all over again.

Now, I am trying to do better. I haven't had a drink in over a week. I realized I was drinking entirely too much & started cutting down from everyday to couple times a week. But then it hit me, that isn't enough I need to stop all together - hence, me not having a drink in over a week.

I have gotten my books out & will start re-reading them. My all time fave is "Codependent No More", I have started reading that all over again. I have gone to counseling through my job's EAP & am on a path to regaining myself all over again.

I hope I didn't bore you with my story! Hoping to make new friends & offer support when I can. I will definitely need support as well. Thanks for listening. :tyou

Cathryn2001 11-04-2014 08:45 AM

Welcome, Monica! Thanks for sharing your story! You'll find a lot of support here!

Chiffon 11-04-2014 08:46 AM

Hi Monica :welcome :)

Laura567 11-04-2014 08:53 AM

Welcome Monica! SR is a great site!

Soberwolf 11-04-2014 09:16 AM

Hi Monica thank you and a big welcome to SR and the forum

Well done on over a weeks sobriety keep reading keep posting

JT0626 11-04-2014 09:23 AM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!! I will be needing all the support I can get. This place rocks!

:You_Rock_

sprout50 11-04-2014 09:30 AM

Monica, welcome to SR and congrats on a week sober! I look forward to hearing more from you.

Judas 11-04-2014 09:41 AM

I'm glad you've dusted off your books and plan on reading them again. I find reading self help books extremely helpful, but you really have to apply the knowledge you learn and practice it on a daily basis to form more positive habits. That's what worked for me, anyway!

PurpleKnight 11-04-2014 10:24 AM

Welcome to the Forum Monica!! :wave:

JT0626 11-04-2014 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Judas (Post 4995936)
I'm glad you've dusted off your books and plan on reading them again. I find reading self help books extremely helpful, but you really have to apply the knowledge you learn and practice it on a daily basis to form more positive habits. That's what worked for me, anyway!

Oh yes, I am back on it. I did the work before, so I just need to do it again. I really lost myself when I got with my husband. Our relationship is much better but he is still drinking on a daily basis. So I am on my own with my recovery.

luvmygirls 11-04-2014 11:44 AM

Welcome, Monica! I am 42 and WISH I would have quit drinking 10 years ago. Good for you on one week...that's great!!!

biminiblue 11-04-2014 11:47 AM

Welcome, there are a lot of double winners here *raises hand.

There is a great "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" section for the codie side.

here:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

JT0626 11-04-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 4996191)
Welcome, there are a lot of double winners here *raises hand.

There is a great "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" section for the codie side.

here:

I will be checking that out too. Thanks!!

SoberLeigh 11-04-2014 02:45 PM

Welcome to SR, Monica. Glad you found us.

Dee74 11-04-2014 02:53 PM

Welcome Monica - great to have you here :)

D

lostinthetrees 11-04-2014 03:31 PM

Welcome, Monica! I think you will find what you need here.

least 11-04-2014 03:41 PM

Welcome to the family. :hug:

leviathan 11-04-2014 03:45 PM

Hi!

Hevyn 11-04-2014 04:39 PM

Very happy to meet you Monica. You found a great place for friendship and support. :)

OklaBH 11-04-2014 06:06 PM

Hi sweetheart! Sorry life is tough right now! It will get better! Glad ur here