SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Temptation Season Primer - Weekender Thread Oct 17-19 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/348013-temptation-season-primer-weekender-thread-oct-17-19-a.html)

Weasel1966 10-19-2014 12:01 PM

Carved a pumpkin. Listening to 80's music. Cats snoring. Yup.... Seems like a good day.

Even sat for a few minutes with no noise. Listening to the rustling of the remaining leaves out my window.

Sober.

Sunday's were always the hardest times for me. They still have a pull on me but not like they once did. This thread started that way. Freefall and a few others encouraged me to stay sober one Sunday knowing it was my trouble spot. Miss escapist, SoberJim and others. Mecanix was always there with a helping hand. Fandy too! So many in the cycles of SR. grateful that some are still here with me and so many new SR. friends to enjoy weekends! All of you!

Love this team!

Ellay 10-19-2014 12:35 PM

Happy Sunday to all:) Had a great weekend, looking forward to a grilled steak on the bbq tonight, with Caesar salad. First times in sobriety that I have agreed to this meal - as it goes hand in hand with a bottle (or 2) of red wine.

Was thinking that the change in seasons is a good thing for us. New start, new life :)

Ok, off my duff to go be productive with the last few hours of daylight.

Mark1014 10-19-2014 12:50 PM

Happy afternoon/evening to all. As this beautiful fall weekend winds down I'd like to again thank those kind enough to offer their time and insight on the weekend thread. I know it is designed as a resource for those of us in early sobriety and that it is. I sit here on my 19th sober afternoon in a row with cautious optimism for many more. Thanks guys.

LBrain 10-19-2014 01:02 PM

well now, picked up new thermocouple for 12 bucks, set it just a bit higher than the old one. pilot flame is still not touching TC. But it seems to have worked - for now.
I just got a kiss for fixing the heat :)
Now my Sunday outside work is going to get a late start. Still perplexed on spacing between pilot and sensor. But it works. Could have saved a few hours by running out and buying parts like I did in the old days. Old one will work in direct flame.
Anyway, hope all are having/had a good Sunday. My detour is over. Time to get something else done. I still didn't unpack from trip south... :willy

good call on getting new TC MM, I would have kept trying to fix the flame for another...

JanieJ 10-19-2014 01:26 PM

Well, the rest of my family won't be drinking much and they all know not to offer.

I will decline invitations to parties this year, as I'm newly sober. Think it's best just to stay away for the time being.

If neighbours/friends invite me for a social over the holidays, I will go in the afternoon, or drive.

And basically, keep my head down as much as possible !

I'm working new year's eve (thank goodness) so that will be a good way to stay sober too, and then it will all be over.

Conquest 10-19-2014 01:36 PM

I may not have said much on here, but I'm so thankful for each of you posting in this thread. Inspired by your ideas, songs, and pics, I listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin, noticed the leaves begin to change colors on my walks, and cooked my heart out. Most importantly, I had a healthy weekend. Thanks for the company, weekenders. Let's do it again real soon. :)

LBrain 10-19-2014 01:55 PM

hold your applause - flame is out, no heat, was not thermocouple.

looks like a cold night and a call in the morning. too tight to start disconnecting gas lines without replacement parts... firemen worked all day putting out a big fire yesterday so they need some time off anyway.

something I don't need...

Weasel1966 10-19-2014 02:20 PM

Here is my punkin!

http://i58.tinypic.com/sm7mvt.jpg

bigsombrero 10-19-2014 02:20 PM

Good to hear from you all today - LB, sorry to hear that the flame is out and on the fritz. Sounds like you have a rational solution planned, something I didn't have while I was on the sauce.

I remember one winter Sunday morning I took out the garbage and after the door shut to my apartment I realized I was locked out. Instead of coming up with a rational plan, I grabbed an old bed frame in the basement and started trying to break down the door. Needless to say, it didn't work and the neighbors were alarmed. I also remember one Sunday I got real pissed off about all my bills that kept coming, so I started burning them with a lighter and tossed them out the window. The fire department came...and the Chicago Fire Department is not exactly thrilled to have to show up to find a drunk guy burning his mail. The fire captain was majorly irate, obviously. Glad I stopped being that guy.

As Weasel said, weekends have been a trouble spot for many of us. Whether drinking with others, or alone, we often found ourselves lathered up by this time of the weekend and we were all in for a rotten Monday morning. This Sunday, I actually got up early and worked a couple hours for our tech support team (paid time and a half!) and then Skyped with the family. Hit the bakery for bread and settled in for some football. As the evening approaches I've got some chicken in the oven for tonight. Just went up to my terrace to clean it up for my big delivery on Tuesday. Sobriety rocks!

Welcome to all who have joined us! And (unlike LB's pilot light) let's keep the fires burning!

bigsombrero 10-19-2014 02:21 PM

Weasel great pumpkin! It's upside down! It looks like Jack from a Nightmare Before Christmas, that's awesome! What do the cats think?

Weasel1966 10-19-2014 02:30 PM

Hey bigS... Thanks!

Sometimes pics come out upside down here. It looks right for me. Lol

Edit: Oh no... on the PC it is upside down and the ipad right side up. LOL

Love carving every year!

trachemys 10-19-2014 02:34 PM

Maniacs we

PurpleKnight 10-19-2014 03:04 PM

Hey Weekenders!!

Very cool pumpkin, fantastic!! :scoregood

Settling in for another Sunday evening, NFL is on, pot of green tea beside me, chilling out before bedtime, back to work in the morning!!

I'm incredibly grateful now for my Sober weekends, my first few I feared them as they approached, but now they are something to be embraced, going to work Monday morning doesn't now include the feelings following a weekend binge!! :)

Hope we're all doing well!! :grouphug:

MesaMan 10-19-2014 04:18 PM

Furnace Idea

LBrain ~

Here's a Vid Link. More importantly, note all the Vids on the Webpage right. Watch one about a 'White-Rogers' Valve, for example, if that's the type you have.

There's about always an adjustment for Pilot Flame size. A small Screw Head adjustment. See if you have one on the Gas Control Valve proper, and increase it. It's the only Screw adjustment there will be. Makes it somewhat simple.

We can carry on by PM. I thought you might see this Msg first, so I bored others here with it.

I've hidden away my Titanium Frame .357. Da Wife wants to go to Town and ventilate the Passat Mechanic with it.

Maybe a Pic and a Music Link Post here soon...

Furnace Repair Vid Link

-----

Ruby2 10-19-2014 04:58 PM

Golly. It's the end of the day here and I'm just now signing on. Meeting. Church. Cleaning. Laundry. Kids are currently hanging out with their cousins at my parents house and my brother will drop them off on his way home.

Brain, I'm sorry that your furnace isn't working. I hate that. I have a boiler, no furnace, for the radiators but the two times the circulating pump went out I was bummed. I hope it isn't too chilly by you. Yet.

Weasel, I am not fond of Sundays either. My worst day of the week. I just read a woman's blog post about Sunday blues. She is an alcoholic in recovery so I like her blog a lot. Guess the Sunday blues isn't too uncommon. Doesn't make it easier.

I keep waking up to extreme depression. It passes once I get moving but I hate it.

This afternoon a guy my husband knows from AA came by to look at the electrical. He is an electrician. While showing him the circuit breakers in the basement I looked I a big plastic tub in the basement to see an empty 12 pack of beer and empty bottles. They are sitting on the porch for recycling. It wasn't even embarrassing. Wasn't mine either. My husband owned to it but from almost a year ago. Glad Neither of us is hiding bottles anymore. I'm sure I will find more in the dark corners of the basement at some point.

Well. I think I will head to the basement again to switch out laundry. I've got a start on the kids lunches. All is good.

Mark1014 10-19-2014 05:06 PM

Ruby, I expect to find a few strays still lurking in the storage rooms, garage, or high in my closet somewhere etc. . It'll just remind me how glad I am to be free of all the secrecy. It was a real burden!

happyandfree 10-19-2014 05:12 PM

Great weekend. Friends I had over for dinner last night had one glass of wine each. I can't relate to that, why bother! Lol. Happy to report that I wasn't tempted and the dinner was fun. Went on a long hike this morning, feeling great. Tonight I am pooped and ready to go to sleep (gotta wait a few hours ). I love this sober life. See you next weekend-

MesaMan 10-19-2014 05:54 PM

Sunday Slide

Still mucking with Pic size, and trying to reduce in size some taken today to upload to here. As with LB's Furnace, something has changed, and I dunno what. 'Stupid Technology!' ~ Homer Simpson

Thinking of things staying lit, a Lyric in the Rockabilly Classic linked below is: 'I gotta Rocket in my Pocket, and the Fuse is lit'. May LB's Furnace attain the same lit condition, eh?

We had an Alcohol-free day around the House, and that's always nice. I didn't enjoy Abstinence in High School, but it grows on you after 40+ years, I guess.-) We stopped and had Lunch at this local Orchard/Fruit 'Outlet' that has a nice Rural Vibe goin' on. Hay Bales all around, and old Farm Equipment. Snags the Touristas driving by. A great, late Lunch. They sell lotsa Hard Cider and local Wines, but all that has just vanished off my Radar. I literally don't see it anymore. At least, not today. We'll take it. I had Apple Juice with Cinnamon in it. Superb.

Conquest ~

Have a listen on line to the Remastered Led Zeppelin early Discs released a few months ago. Different Song versions, and a nice uptick in Audio Quality via Technology. Listened to some yesterday on a Campus Radio Station Broadcast.

Music Link

'Rocket In My Pocket' ~ Jimmy Lloyd

-----

bigsombrero 10-19-2014 06:51 PM

MM - to reduce picture size:

1. Open your photo with windows photo viewer
2. Go to the top of the picture and click "open"
3. Select "paint"
4. The pic that opens will be really large. Click the "resize" option
5. Resize the pic to a smaller scale and adjust as needed, then save to your desktop
6. Open tinypic.com, upload the photo and then copy the "embed links for message boards" code. Post that code here under your message and you're all set!

MesaMan 10-19-2014 07:59 PM

Pic Trick

Thanks!

I've doing up through Step 6 'til now. Sizing down to 800 Pixels wide in 'Paint' has always yielded Files sized at 80k or so. Thus, no problem. Suddenly, they're ~160k size. My formerly-sotted Brain is too fatigued to delve into this perplexing change, having baked my remaining Synapses today on LB's Furnace conundrum.

I'll try that 'additional' Step 6 sometime soon.

Meanwhile, these Pix are better than any I took today. >3,000' down to the >1 billion year-old Rocks at the bottom.

Black Canyon Of The Gunnison Pix

Music Video Link

'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' ~ Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

-----