SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Relapsed :/ (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/344510-relapsed.html)

ccam1973 09-10-2014 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4888070)
I went through it for years SHH.

I finally realised two things - one, that at some level I wasn't trying to quit, I was *still* trying to find a way to control my drinking (or at least avoid bad consequences); and two, I was confusing abstinence with control.

I was letting myself be convinced that because I hadn't been drinking for x amount of time that meant I must have control over my appetites and desires now...right?

If you can finally accept that false premise now - and remember it - you'll be a fair way to accepting that the best way for you is no drinking alcohol at all :)

welcome back :)

D

Soberhappyhour, I'm taking the easy way here and quoting dee. Hes dead on.

I did this for years too. My brain still tries to convince me I still can. Thats just not the case. No more drinking, not today, not ever. Too many lost memories to that addiction.

Never again, you can do it. We are here for you.

SoberHappyHour 09-10-2014 10:12 AM

I'm just mentally preparing myself now for the time that my mind tells me to drink again. If I kno its going to happen ahead of time, I'll be able to turn myself and others down. I kno I'm going to feel great when that time comes so my brain will think it's ok again, but I'm training myself ahead of time that this will happen but to remind myself of the regret that follows. I'm going to make sure to keep myself busy as well, even if it means going to bed early on the weekends. Anything but drinking. It will be a challenge with my birthday coming up in less than 2 weeks tho.

doggonecarl 09-10-2014 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour (Post 4889873)
I wonder if there's a way to continue to tell myself in an attempt to brainwash myself into thinking that there is no part of me that wants to drink and that 100% of me wants to be sober and not try to moderate my drinking.

Because of our addiction, not drinking is difficult if you are 100& committed to quitting. I think if drinking is held out as an option, you'll drink, no matter how much you talk about sobriety.

anattaboy 09-10-2014 12:54 PM

Shh, in the end I was drinking if I was awake so I approached abstinence the same. I don't hit the store at 5:58 am for my first drink (alcohol after 6am here). I do get on SR (4:30 this morning) every day. I take vitamins and eat. I don't drive anywhere that is not necessary (yes, driving IS a trigger for me). I don't worry about having "fun" cuz drinking skewed everything I did anyway and I had few genuinely fun experiences. I would not drink with my S/O as she was still drinking when I quit (I actually moved out for a week). Was it uncomfortable? YES! Was it difficult? YES! Is not drinking the most important thing in my life still, at 90 days? YES! Will I walk away from any person, situation or place that threatens my sobriety? YES! Slowly my days are being filled with meaningful things to do. Am I where I wanted to be at this stage of my life? NO but I am miles from where I was and that was hell. Change is what you get when you give more than what's asked and I have some change today.

SoberHappyHour 09-11-2014 01:01 AM

anattaboy,

Great point that I should also take in is avoiding triggers like places that I would be tempted to drink. I've felt like I've been able to stay sober in bars, but I think that needs to change. This time around has proven to be more difficult than my last sober run, so I need to adjust accordingly. At least for the beginning month or two, I should avoid going to bars and thinking I'll be ok because I have been in the past.

whalebelow2 09-11-2014 02:35 AM

Hi Soberhappyhour

I'm going to advise something a bit different to "fighting " away drinking thoughts.

Just surrender, wave the white flag and admit alcohol has thoroughly and repeatedly kicked your ass.

Would you get in a boxing ring with Mike Tyson every night, get the living daylights smashed out of you and think "I'm gonna beat Mike tonight"...??
"he's smashed me every time we've fought for years, but I got a feeling tonight is my night"

Of course you wouldn't... You'd run a mile before getting pounded again.

Try and look at it that way, there is no point in fighting, no point in putting on the gloves, no point in even going anywhere near the bloody fight venue even (bars, pubs)

Just hang up the gloves mate.

The careers finished. There is no "one last big fight and Pay day"

Hope that helps, and best of luck :)

Meraviglioso 09-11-2014 02:51 AM

This is a great thread full of great advice. Thank you to Soberhappyhour for starting it and all that responded, this has been so helpful for me to read as I am facing the same struggle as the OP.