SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just saw i've been a member for over a year and never posted.... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/340516-just-saw-ive-been-member-over-year-never-posted.html)

TheZenLife 07-30-2014 06:00 PM

Just saw i've been a member for over a year and never posted....

I've been off and on this site for over a year. I just noticed that in my profile. So I ask myself why did I start reading on this site....the need to make a change. I guess the need was there in the back of my mind but wanting to, REALLY wanting to had to catch up. This is day 4 sober for me and I can't remember that long of a stretch with no alcohol in, at least, the past 5 years. I actually feel pretty good, if only people would stop asking me to go out for drinks....

least 07-30-2014 06:04 PM

Welcome, finally! :) Just tell them "no thanks". Maybe offer an alternative that doesn't involve alcohol.

Dee74 07-30-2014 06:09 PM

Welcome to posting TheZenLife :)

D

TheZenLife 07-30-2014 06:10 PM

I almost posted a few times but didn't have the confidence to know I wouldn't be here today and gone tomorrow. Now it's official. Thanks for the reply.

dwtbd 07-30-2014 06:14 PM

Welcome to the posting side, good on you

Thinking of putting you on ignore until tomorrow :)

GotGrace 07-30-2014 06:51 PM

Welcome TZL! I am glad you posted!

SoberHoopsFan 07-30-2014 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheZenLife (Post 4811200)
I've been off and on this site for over a year. I just noticed that in my profile. So I ask myself why did I start reading on this site....the need to make a change. I guess the need was there in the back of my mind but wanting to, REALLY wanting to had to catch up. This is day 4 sober for me and I can't remember that long of a stretch with no alcohol in, at least, the past 5 years. I actually feel pretty good, if only people would stop asking me to go out for drinks....

Welcome aboard. You may need to find new friends who do activities other than drink, or at the very least inform your old friends that you are quitting drinking and would appreciate their support (and also see if they will hang out with you outside of the context of drinking, a good way to weed people out). For me, getting sober required very big life changes, including places I could hang out at and people I wanted to be around. You may have to make some tough choices regarding these people.

ccam1973 07-30-2014 07:20 PM

Welcome to the posting world TZL. Glad you are here and congrats on 4 days!

TheZenLife 07-30-2014 07:35 PM

Why is it so difficult to admit the truth?

I have many supportive friends, too supportive in the fact that they never said a word about my problem. Except for my sister's occasional, "what is your problem?". We could go out and I'd drink double what they had and go home and drink more. I have known for some time that I needed to quit but didn't want to admit it to myself. I just couldn't understand how things got so out of hand and I lost control. Kept thinking I'm going to be able to have one or two again....that is just not the case. This realization only took me 5 years...what can I say, I'm a slow learner.

Thanks for all the welcome posts and the challenge that I'll be back tomorrow.

SoberHoopsFan 07-30-2014 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheZenLife (Post 4811384)
I have many supportive friends, too supportive in the fact that they never said a word about my problem. Except for my sister's occasional, "what is your problem?". We could go out and I'd drink double what they had and go home and drink more. I have known for some time that I needed to quit but didn't want to admit it to myself. I just couldn't understand how things got so out of hand and I lost control. Kept thinking I'm going to be able to have one or two again....that is just not the case. This realization only took me 5 years...what can I say, I'm a slow learner.

Thanks for all the welcome posts and the challenge that I'll be back tomorrow.

We are all slow learners here when it comes to drinking. Hell, I've probably had about 15 "rock bottom" moments that would have scared the vast majority of society straight each time, but not me. You're doing the right thing.

soberjuly 07-30-2014 09:26 PM

Welcome Zen, I love everything Zen...I wish my house could be Zen and my garden could be Zen but I have kids and they kind of ruin my whole Zen dream...maybe someday

Anyhow, congrats on Day 4!

MythOfSisyphus 07-30-2014 11:31 PM

Glad to see you finally "de-cloaked", TheZenLife! Good to have you with us.

Eddiebuckle 07-31-2014 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by TheZenLife (Post 4811200)
I actually feel pretty good, if only people would stop asking me to go out for drinks....

Congrats on 5 days, Zen! When someone asks you to go have drinks, rather than decline try suggesting an alternative, like coffee or lunch. You will soon figure out which friends/relationships have foundations greater than a mere excuse to get hammered.

jezza 07-31-2014 12:35 AM

Welcome Zen.. I felt the same regarding posting but as soon as you make that first step I find it's such a huge relief!! I've just had a relapse & was scared to admit it but as soon as I did and saw the replies makes me realise I'm not alone in this journey & sure that it will make me stronger.

PurpleKnight 07-31-2014 04:47 AM

Welcome to the posting side of things!! :wave: