SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   weightloss (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/339302-weightloss.html)

tonib 07-18-2014 02:44 AM

weightloss

Has anyone lost weight since quitting drinking? An did you right away start exercising or did you wait until the withdrawals pass

GracieLou 07-18-2014 02:59 AM

I lost 65 pounds so far.

At first it just fell off left and right but now I have to do more to continue the process. I walk on a treadmill and I walk at lunch. I cut out fast food and I try to eat better. I am not really counting calories but I do make better choices then I used to.

If I want a double bacon cheeseburger with fries then that is what I have.

tonib 07-18-2014 03:18 AM

I really want to loose 20 pounds. In eighty sober an thinking time to start working out

GracieLou 07-18-2014 03:34 AM

Then do it. One of the first things I discovered when I got sober is I had time. I had lots of time. I never realized how much time I spent drinking. I did not do much else when I drank.

I have found I can do just about whatever I want whenever I want with no restrictions. I could never do that before because the bottle was in the middle and I moved my whole life around it.

With that trap gone, I am free!

zeldachan 07-18-2014 03:37 AM

I have lost 60 pounds. I started running to take up time. It's great!

ESD907 07-18-2014 04:19 AM

I quit drinking several times...I was and still am overweight, but nearly as much. During my quitting phases (that were not successful, 2 weeks at best) I'd be that all or nothing person.. Today I get healthy...all healthy food, exercise, no drinks.. be supermom, etc. I set myself up for failure. I ate badly, well, may as well drink..skipped the gym? DRINK. so after many attempts...I said, gotta be diff.. I told myself...first quit drinking. Eat what you will, take a walk if I WANT to. no expectations..literally ONE day at a time..ONE minute at a time. after a few months, I naturally lost about 15 pounds..and then I was ready to add exercise daily. after a few more months, I changed my diet quite a bit. Would you rather be sober and a tad chunky in six months? or a drunk and still fat in 6 months? also, you won't have those booze calories, and we all know booze leads to stupid eating...and forgetful eating...GOOD LUCK.

pdoc 07-18-2014 04:50 AM

Yep lost 20 kg but I also stopped psych meds too which can cause weight gain when on them

jdooner 07-18-2014 04:57 AM

Lost 10lbs in first month.
Gained 25lbs months 2-4 due to sugar intake (trading addictions)

Realized processed sugar and wheat were also addictions and gave them up in month 4

Lost 40lbs month 4-11 and now loose 1-2lbs per week

I workout 2x per day 6 days per week with multiple coaches.

I am a 40year old male

Fandy 07-18-2014 05:36 AM

We have a little fitbit group you can look at in the health and nutrition section, just some friendly competition, nothing stressful.

you will have a lot more energy and feel much better too.

Sobertaurus 07-18-2014 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ESD907 (Post 4786654)
I quit drinking several times...I was and still am overweight, but nearly as much. During my quitting phases (that were not successful, 2 weeks at best) I'd be that all or nothing person.. Today I get healthy...all healthy food, exercise, no drinks.. be supermom, etc. I set myself up for failure. I ate badly, well, may as well drink..skipped the gym? DRINK. so after many attempts...I said, gotta be diff.. I told myself...first quit drinking. Eat what you will, take a walk if I WANT to. no expectations..literally ONE day at a time..ONE minute at a time. after a few months, I naturally lost about 15 pounds..and then I was ready to add exercise daily. after a few more months, I changed my diet quite a bit. Would you rather be sober and a tad chunky in six months? or a drunk and still fat in 6 months? also, you won't have those booze calories, and we all know booze leads to stupid eating...and forgetful eating...GOOD LUCK.

This sounds like me. I too have decided to focus on sobriety, though I find myself naturally making other healthy choices simply because I feel better about myself. :)

NoJimmy 07-18-2014 07:30 AM

-24 lbs = first 2 months (lost appetite due to life troubles)
+20 lbs = 7 months (regained appetite around month 3)
-7 lbs = 9 months (cleaned up diet and increased workout intensity)
Goal = further clean up my diet to increase energy and shave a little more body fat

I primarily train Martial Arts to stay in shape (some weight training & other sports). I was involved in these things before, but sobriety has had a huge impact on my ability to perform consistently. I'm 48