Notices

weightloss

Old 07-18-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

weightloss

Has anyone lost weight since quitting drinking? An did you right away start exercising or did you wait until the withdrawals pass
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I lost 65 pounds so far.

At first it just fell off left and right but now I have to do more to continue the process. I walk on a treadmill and I walk at lunch. I cut out fast food and I try to eat better. I am not really counting calories but I do make better choices then I used to.

If I want a double bacon cheeseburger with fries then that is what I have.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really want to loose 20 pounds. In eighty sober an thinking time to start working out
Old 07-18-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Then do it. One of the first things I discovered when I got sober is I had time. I had lots of time. I never realized how much time I spent drinking. I did not do much else when I drank.

I have found I can do just about whatever I want whenever I want with no restrictions. I could never do that before because the bottle was in the middle and I moved my whole life around it.

With that trap gone, I am free!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have lost 60 pounds. I started running to take up time. It's great!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit drinking several times...I was and still am overweight, but nearly as much. During my quitting phases (that were not successful, 2 weeks at best) I'd be that all or nothing person.. Today I get healthy...all healthy food, exercise, no drinks.. be supermom, etc. I set myself up for failure. I ate badly, well, may as well drink..skipped the gym? DRINK. so after many attempts...I said, gotta be diff.. I told myself...first quit drinking. Eat what you will, take a walk if I WANT to. no expectations..literally ONE day at a time..ONE minute at a time. after a few months, I naturally lost about 15 pounds..and then I was ready to add exercise daily. after a few more months, I changed my diet quite a bit. Would you rather be sober and a tad chunky in six months? or a drunk and still fat in 6 months? also, you won't have those booze calories, and we all know booze leads to stupid eating...and forgetful eating...GOOD LUCK.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep lost 20 kg but I also stopped psych meds too which can cause weight gain when on them
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lost 10lbs in first month.
Gained 25lbs months 2-4 due to sugar intake (trading addictions)

Realized processed sugar and wheat were also addictions and gave them up in month 4

Lost 40lbs month 4-11 and now loose 1-2lbs per week

I workout 2x per day 6 days per week with multiple coaches.

I am a 40year old male
Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We have a little fitbit group you can look at in the health and nutrition section, just some friendly competition, nothing stressful.

you will have a lot more energy and feel much better too.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
I quit drinking several times...I was and still am overweight, but nearly as much. During my quitting phases (that were not successful, 2 weeks at best) I'd be that all or nothing person.. Today I get healthy...all healthy food, exercise, no drinks.. be supermom, etc. I set myself up for failure. I ate badly, well, may as well drink..skipped the gym? DRINK. so after many attempts...I said, gotta be diff.. I told myself...first quit drinking. Eat what you will, take a walk if I WANT to. no expectations..literally ONE day at a time..ONE minute at a time. after a few months, I naturally lost about 15 pounds..and then I was ready to add exercise daily. after a few more months, I changed my diet quite a bit. Would you rather be sober and a tad chunky in six months? or a drunk and still fat in 6 months? also, you won't have those booze calories, and we all know booze leads to stupid eating...and forgetful eating...GOOD LUCK.
This sounds like me. I too have decided to focus on sobriety, though I find myself naturally making other healthy choices simply because I feel better about myself.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

-24 lbs = first 2 months (lost appetite due to life troubles)
+20 lbs = 7 months (regained appetite around month 3)
-7 lbs = 9 months (cleaned up diet and increased workout intensity)
Goal = further clean up my diet to increase energy and shave a little more body fat

I primarily train Martial Arts to stay in shape (some weight training & other sports). I was involved in these things before, but sobriety has had a huge impact on my ability to perform consistently. I'm 48