SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Recovery growth (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/328081-recovery-growth.html)

ontherightpath 04-05-2014 04:42 AM

Recovery growth

N my previous attempts at sobriety, I was able to put together some "dry" time, but my mind wasn't calm. Then I drank again, and tried to force my mind to be calm. Causing me to feel more like I was living a lie. It got me to an emotional bottom. I wanted to give sobriety another shot but was crippled with fear. 8 days ago I made the choice and completely surrendered. In this time I have relied heavily on my HP and have owned my actions and have not blamed my husband or my kids or my work or my family. I drank to run away, and I happy to say that today, I am present. Emotionally and physically and I feel a sense of peace that I have never experienced before. I feel like recovery is clicking, and I hope I can keep this feeling.

LadyBlue0527 04-05-2014 04:44 AM

You're on the right path! :)

IOAA2 04-05-2014 04:49 AM

Good for you. It helps so much when we get honest with ourselves about our drinking. It's a major step into a sober lifestyle regarding acceptance of what's happened and what course to take to change ourselves. I found it necessary to work on it on a daily basis with no exceptions as we can so easily slip back into the same old same old. Keep coming.

BE WELL

sugarbear1 04-05-2014 05:37 AM

you are meant to be sober for a reason, stick with this!!!!

Hugs & Love to you

FeelingGreat 04-05-2014 05:40 AM

It's much more relaxing once you accept that drinking's out of the question.

CAPTAINZING2000 04-05-2014 05:43 AM

Fear is the absence of faith. Do you have faith in a higher power?

ontherightpath 04-05-2014 06:58 AM

Absolutely captain! I have a renewed faith in my HP! It's the most amazing feeling in the world!

SoberLeigh 04-05-2014 07:30 AM

Very happy for you, ontherightpath (which you obviously are).

tomsteve 04-05-2014 08:01 AM

I couldn't believe the relief I got from the simple( although it took me many years) act of surrendering. but there was more- deciding to rely on my HP to guide and direct me while I put in the footwork to learn how to live life on lifes terms.
one thing I learned on the journey is just how much fear controlled me throughout my life, and what captainamazing posted-Fear is the absence of faith- was detrimental for me to grow.
that didn't mean the absence of fear. I had to use( and still have to use) faith and courage in spite of fear. pretty crazy still how I can run into something where I need that faith and courage, but after I get through it( which really is easier than goin around it) I look back and think to myself:"that really wasn't that bad."

keep it up ontherightpath!

sicknote 04-05-2014 10:17 AM

I'm with you! This is an excellent post! Stick with it! We will know a life far better... one day at a time :) xx

Lance40 04-05-2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 (Post 4571107)
Fear is the absence of faith. Do you have faith in a higher power?

Thanks for sharing this. All of my life I was taught to believe that faith was certainty and the opposite of faith was doubt. It's only in the past several months that I have been pointed to a new way of understanding fear as the opposite of faith.