SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just need a few kind words. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/325890-just-need-few-kind-words.html)

JMM99 03-15-2014 04:10 AM

Just need a few kind words.

I am sober for almost 6 months and my BF just told me you'll "supposedly" be sober for 6 months soon. Like HELLO he can't even give me kudos for that accomplishment. I did have a couple of meltdowns during this time which where my behavior resembled old behavior but not a drop of alcohol has passed these lips. Damn. Just need a little support. Can I get an AMEN from the choir?

KateL 03-15-2014 04:16 AM

Well done. Six months is fantastic. Don't let him get your down. That's not very nice behaviour at all. xxxxx

GracieLou 03-15-2014 04:16 AM

Amen sister! Does that help :)

I do however feel his comment went deeper then to mean just abstinence from alcohol.

afloatsober 03-15-2014 04:19 AM

Certainly a well done from me. Having similar difficulties at the mo. All's i know is that i'm not the same arse that i was when i was drinking, that i am working on making my changes and that nothing or nobody can derail me unless i allow that to happen.
Just working on self care and kindness at the mo. I always believed anything that anyone cared to chuck at me. I am a bit more selective about taking on board others stuff these days.
Don't have to be the fall-guy sober.
Well done on six months..
G

FeelingGreat 03-15-2014 04:21 AM

Hi Jmm, excellent achievement and it must be hurtful not to have it acknowledged. Maybe you can explain to your BF that even sober you might take some time to recover fully?
Congratulations on 6 months!!! Awesome!! I mean that; lots of people fall at the first hurdle.

Notmyrealname 03-15-2014 04:27 AM

You're doing great. Don't let other people get under your skin with negativity. Take his comment as a compliment, if sort of a backhanded one. At least he is paying attention to what's going on. It takes time for people's norms to change, just stay on course and don't let it get to you.

If this is the kind of negative feedback you get all the time, maybe you guys need to talk about changing that, or if that doesn't work maybe a change of scene is in order.

Taking5 03-15-2014 04:30 AM

Sounds like you need a new BF?

JMM99 03-15-2014 04:37 AM

love this saying. I'm going to use it.

'When you have escaped the lions cage, don't go back for your hat!'

Holli 03-15-2014 05:24 AM

Amen! You are doing great, don't let BF get you down!

Chilledice 03-15-2014 07:54 AM

Well WE are giving you kudos for doing an AWESOME job!!!!!!

adee 03-15-2014 07:57 AM

AMEN!!!

Great job on six months! Huge accomplishment! There is a whole world of people here and elsewhere who understand that - try not to let one person's ignorance drag you down.

Hevyn 03-15-2014 08:01 AM

Our normies can't possibly understand what we go through & it's frustrating. My family & friends were cynical/suspicious for quite a while. That's why SR was such a huge help. We know what you're going through and what a great triumph 6 months is. :hug:

jaynie04 03-15-2014 08:03 AM

You are doing great. Our sobriety is a very sensitive and vulnerable spot, and when someone knows us well and is looking to hurt us, it makes a great and easy target. How do we prove we DIDN'T do something? We don't. And I wouldn't address it with him right away, I wouldn't honor that kind of bs. Let it go for now and revisit it with him in a calm and clear way and in a manner that is assertive, not defensive.

He may benefit from your sobriety, but at the end of the day the only one who can really hold you accountable is you. Don't give away your power, you have done something that very few people that suffer with alcoholism accomplish. That is significant sobriety, you are obviously doing something very right. Amen! :)

matt4x4 03-15-2014 08:45 AM

*bitting my lip*

If nothing changes nothing changes. But congrats on not drinking. That is a start and not an end.

MIRecovery 03-15-2014 09:33 AM

Amen! Six months is huge. In the end we stay sober for ourselves with or without the support of others. I'm defined by who I know I am not by others

jakec 03-15-2014 09:37 AM

AMEN!

The important thing is that YOU know you'll be 6 months sober.

Congratulations. :)

SoberLeigh 03-15-2014 09:40 AM

A resounding AMEN.

readerbaby71 03-15-2014 10:18 AM

Six months is a HUGE accomplishment! You should be very proud. It sounds like your BF still has a lot of resentment about your drinking. Maybe he should get some help with that.

Go do something nice for yourself! You deserve it!

nullandv01d 03-15-2014 10:27 AM

Amazing :) I can't even imagine six months. Way to go.

topspin 03-15-2014 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jaynie04 (Post 4529431)

...... Don't give away your power, you have done something that very few people that suffer with alcoholism accomplish. That is significant sobriety, you are obviously doing something very right. Amen! :)

This ^ :scoregood

A....amen !!!!