SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Guilt (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/324004-guilt.html)

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 05:52 AM

Guilt

Hey everyone. I'm having extreme feelings of guilt and just need some encouragement to make it through my day. Thanks.

Gibbons2 02-25-2014 05:57 AM

Stay, what is wrong and what are you feeling guilty about?

alphaomega 02-25-2014 06:13 AM

Oh that godawful guilt. It and I are strange bedfellows for sure.
I always found it helped me so much to offload it here.

Something so very cathartic about putting it in words, and putting it out there, help you realize that you are not alone, and chances are, whatever it is, one of us can trump it... :)

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 06:19 AM

I've been drinking and want to get back on track. Things in my life would be going so much better if I would just stop. I guess I'm just having post alcohol blues.

alphaomega 02-25-2014 06:21 AM

I used to call them the "Wah wahs". Your brain is so jacked up from the alcohol, you can't even think straight. Very very normal is very early sobriety.

least 02-25-2014 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by StayStrong33 (Post 4493214)
I've been drinking and want to get back on track. Things in my life would be going so much better if I would just stop. I guess I'm just having post alcohol blues.

As long as you're drinking you're going to feel guilt. Put the bottle down and start over tomorrow.

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 06:34 AM

AO, thats exactly what it is. It's even hard to put how feel into words on here because I can't think!

Least, I have no alcohol left and am currently at work for the next 8hrs. Last night I went to bed and said I'd start fresh today then I woke up feeling like this. Nursing a hangover at work sucks...

KateL 02-25-2014 06:37 AM

Try to lose the guilt because that is what I always found got int the way of moving forward. Put the past where it belongs xxxxxx

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 06:55 AM

Kate, I want to let it go but keep thinking about it constantly. I feel like screaming on the inside. I've wasted another month, another week, another day of life doing this to myself.

alphaomega 02-25-2014 06:57 AM

The guilt/fear/shame/anxiety is chemically induced from the alcohol . Get through these rough 8 hours and go home and try to get some rest. Hydrate hydrate hydrate.

You never have to put yourself through this again.

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 07:51 AM

AO, I have to try hard to keep that in mind. Sometimes I start to feel like those feelings are actually who I am but its the alcohol causing me to change.

Randummy 02-25-2014 07:57 AM

Hi StayStrong,

What's done is done, there's nothing you can do about the past unless you have a time machine! The only choice you can make is what to do from here on. I feel guilt too about the things I've done whilst drunk and the impact it's had on my life and my partner, but it's done and you can only change the present.

ScottFromWI 02-25-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by StayStrong33 (Post 4493299)
Kate, I want to let it go but keep thinking about it constantly. I feel like screaming on the inside. I've wasted another month, another week, another day of life doing this to myself.

Get out and actually do something to keep yourself occupied and away from drinking. Go for a walk, clean the house, cook something, whatever. Not only will it keep your mind focused on positive things, but it will show you that you can easily accomplish things without drinking. Sitting around feeling sorry for yourself only intensifies the guilt, it's a vicious cycle.

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 08:16 AM

Scott, thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely take a walk on my lunch break to hopefully feel a little better. Letting go of past mistakes is a challenge for me so its good to have a reminder that moving forward is the only healthy option.

Raider 02-25-2014 08:20 AM

Good luck! You can do this! You stay strong!!!

Mountainmanbob 02-25-2014 08:25 AM

turning point

Originally Posted by StayStrong33 (Post 4493248)

I have no alcohol left and am currently at work for the next 8hrs. Last night I went to bed and said I'd start fresh today then I woke up feeling like this. Nursing a hangover at work sucks...

I remember those long hung over days at work
and then so many times once I got home
I would start the drinking and drugs all over yet again
almost as if I had forgotten about my day from hell

I hope that this will be the turning point for you

sure does get better once we are not drinking

Mountainman

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 08:34 AM

MMB - That thought to just drink again to not feel these feelings crossed my mind. Posting on here and getting some feedback is helping me keep in mind that option will never give me the life I want. I don't want to feel like this again tomorrow. Thanks

SeaScape 02-25-2014 08:57 AM

Don't drink staystrong ... It only prolongs the guilt and remorse. Its a vicious cycle. Can you sign into the 24hr club?

StayStrong33 02-25-2014 09:07 AM

SeaScape - I will sign in for the 24 hour club. The thoughts of the "relief" I'd feel from another drink tonight have been fairly strong this morning so I've been reaching out for support on SR and a close family member as well. I absolutely do not want to have these feelings tomorrow.

alphaomega 02-25-2014 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by StayStrong33 (Post 4493416)
AO, I have to try hard to keep that in mind. Sometimes I start to feel like those feelings are actually who I am but its the alcohol causing me to change.

Yes exactly ! I spent so many years wither drunk or hungover. I legitimately did not have an inkling who I was.

I thought I was an anxious, guilt ridden, weak and wobbly hot mess.

Turns out, after a few months, Im finding out I'm a pretty tough broad. And gentle to boot. :)

But you gotta put the bottle down for the fog to start to lift. Otherwise its just a never ending cycle of doom and gloom.