SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What if... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/321939-what-if.html)

patricia68 02-05-2014 05:08 PM

What if...

I am tired of fighting.
I want a better life!
I DESERVE a better life!

What if...I if I get rid of all the alcohol in the house and all the benzos? Would it help? I know I might be in hell for a few days, but I am in hell now knowing they're around.

What if?

GotGrace 02-05-2014 05:11 PM

I think you are on to something! :)

patricia68 02-05-2014 05:12 PM

I want to do it, but I'm scared. What if I freak out in the middle of the night? What if I can't do this?

HeartsAfire 02-05-2014 05:13 PM

There's only one way to find out...

You're right - you DO deserve a better life. We all do.

alexc1991 02-05-2014 05:19 PM

That's definitely a place to start. It's much more haunting having the stuff around the house, and you knowing it's there. Get rid of it and see how you do.

least 02-05-2014 05:20 PM

Get rid of it and start the process of recovery. :hug:

patricia68 02-05-2014 05:25 PM

I got rid of half of it. And I'm crying as if I'd thrown my favourite shoes into the garbage bin. I actually feel like the day I told my ex I wanted the divorce. I don't know if I can go on with my life alone but at the same time I can't live with a cheater anymore! Does it make sense?
I think I'm losing my mind!

Dee74 02-05-2014 05:38 PM

Were the benzoes prescribed Patricia?

D

Amazingglazier 02-05-2014 05:42 PM

Patricia, if you get rid of the other 1/2's you will become whole! The initial pain and discomfort will go away in time, YOU DO DESERVE A BETTER LIFE! And so shall you have one if you hold on for the ride. Only you can do it , with the help of all the great people on SR, IMHO! You Go Girl! Stay Strong and Well!

patricia68 02-05-2014 05:42 PM

Yes Dee. Some silly weekend doctor gave a prescription for 50 lorazepam. I have been taking only one a day but I know this is going to be a problem. I already have horrible panic attacks when the effects wear off.

Dee74 02-05-2014 05:44 PM

Do you have a regular Dr?

I don't know much about benzoes but I think a little professional input is always a good idea?

D

patricia68 02-05-2014 05:47 PM

Yes I have a family doctor. But he's on holidays until the 26th. I don't trust the other doctors in the clinic. All the do is give you more prescriptions...and gosh that's the last thing I need: withdrawals from alcohol and side effects from SSRIs...or more addictions from benzos...I just want to be clean! But I am terrified!

patricia68 02-05-2014 06:04 PM

All the wine and rum are outside in the garbage can. I am in Canada...even if I change my mind, everything will be frozen in within 30 minutes. And tomorrow is garbage day.
I didn't throw away the benzos yet. I need to hide in the laundry room and have a good cry first.
:headbange

tomsteve 02-05-2014 06:07 PM

sheeeweeee. that fear of the unknown- fear of what life would be like clean and sober- was a bugger for me. but I was given the greatest gift I had ever been given:
the gift of desperation. I knew if I kept goin on like I was, there wasn't gonna be a good ending( unless a self inflicted bottle/pill wound would be considered a good end).
so I narrowed it down to 2 choices: death or get help.
but,man, getting help was scarey!!! what was I gonna have to do? what was gonna happen? could I possibly stop drinkin/drugging and have a life?all I had been doin anyways was just existing! I knew I couldn't help myself and my thinkin surely wasn't gonna help as that's how I got to the point of desperation.
there was only one way to find out: get some courage and make a decision to go to any lengths for victory over alcoholism/addiction.
it was scarey. everything, I mean EVERYTHING was new.
but i kept the courage to face everything and learn how to live sober.
courage was the 2nd greatest gift i have ever been given.

something i hope will put a smile on yer face:
"I think I'm losing my mind! "
ya still got a mind to lose!!:lmao

prayers out for ya!

Nonsensical 02-05-2014 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by patricia68 (Post 4452926)
I want to do it, but I'm scared. What if I freak out in the middle of the night? What if I can't do this?

What happens, exactly, when you freak out?

patricia68 02-05-2014 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 4453060)
What happens, exactly, when you freak out?

I get waves of panic all day long, not quite panic attacks but waves of panic and paranoid thoughts that just keep me paralyzed and unable to function.

patricia68 02-05-2014 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by tomsteve (Post 4453058)
there was only one way to find out: get some courage and make a decision to go to any lengths for victory over alcoholism/addiction.

How do I get that courage Tomsteve? I feel like a complete failure right now.

bigsombrero 02-05-2014 06:25 PM

Sorry you're in such a pickle. A lot of us have been in that same boat, and I am sure that 100% of us who have ditched the pills and the booze will say that we have a better (if not more manageable) life today. Your addiction will continue to tell you that you need these things, and it's a very powerful vice. I hope your better half that knows what's best will win this battle.

LadyinBC 02-05-2014 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by patricia68 (Post 4453092)
How do I get that courage Tomsteve? I feel like a complete failure right now.

Are you on the east coast or west coast?

patricia68 02-05-2014 06:41 PM

I'm in BC as well but Mountain Time.