SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Fighting the Urge-relapse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/321085-fighting-urge-relapse.html)

ChrissieB 04-21-2014 03:47 PM

Well done you, great post, very inspiring :c014: xx

dSober 04-21-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4437760)
If you're struggling, making some changes in your life for a while can help - maybe it's best to leave the bars alone until you feel secure again?
D

Dee's a little more diplomatic than I (ok, maybe a lot more). My question is: What the hell were you doing in a bar? Especially: "i text my friend and had her meet me at a local bar".

Looks like you haven't been around for a while, I wonder why. This thread serves me as a reminder of what not to do and where not to go!

BrendonM 04-21-2014 05:13 PM

Awesome work! The fact that you turned away means all the feelings of worthlessness are undeserved! Feel awesome, you deserve it. :a122:

dSober 04-21-2014 05:49 PM

Am I in the twilight zone or has no one else noticed Estevaun had ONE post, back in January?

Katsmeeyow 04-21-2014 08:43 PM

I found some inspiration in this post. I'm only 6 days sober, but it still helped me. I also found upon voting that if I'm truly honest, I drank out of boredom! What the heck. Time to find some new hobbies!

Robertstone 04-21-2014 11:29 PM

This is a poll? Where is the option for "none"?

dSober 04-22-2014 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Robertstone (Post 4606313)
Where is the option for "none"?

You had no reason to get wasted Roberstone, or yours is missing? I found that "all of the above and more" would have been better reasons/excuses for me.

dSober 04-22-2014 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow (Post 4606140)
I'm only 6 days sober, but it still helped me. I also found upon voting that if I'm truly honest, I drank out of boredom! What the heck. Time to find some new hobbies!

How about going to some meetings Katsmeeyow?

Longpasttime 04-22-2014 07:12 AM

Voted for boredom. Disappointment is my biggest one.. and both at the same time, yikes!

dSober 04-22-2014 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow (Post 4606140)
Time to find some new hobbies!

Aha, it was you that inspired me to start this thread. Thank you. Maybe it'll help...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-hobbies.html

GracieLou 04-22-2014 08:37 AM

Congratulations on a year sober! :scoregood

Being around it/people using it
I don’t put myself in situations that I feel would threaten my sobriety.

Songs
No triggers here. In fact some songs that I love now have a new meaning for me. I look at many of the lyrics differently today.

Stress/Anxiety
This one can get to me now and then. Stress is not a trigger but more of a reminder that I am trying to control and that leads to stress and frustrations. I have to let it go.

Boredom
I don’t remember the last time I was bored. I work 40 hours a week, I go to an AA meeting four to five days a week, I have shopping, laundry, cleaning to do on the weekends. I don’t really have to time to be bored. I find it harder to find time to do nothing…lol

Originally Posted by Robertstone (Post 4606313)
This is a poll? Where is the option for "none"?

I have to agree with this. I don’t really have an triggers. The obsession has been removed.

dSober 04-22-2014 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 4606970)
No triggers here. In fact some songs that I love now have a new meaning for me. I look at many of the lyrics differently today.

Stay away from George Thoroughgood. They don't call them the Destroyers for nothing, lol.

Jimmy Buffet, on the other hand, helped me a great deal just a couple days ago...

Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,
But I know, it's my own damn fault.
Yes, and some people claim that there's a woman to blame
And I know it's my own damn fault.

GracieLou 04-22-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 4607106)
Stay away from George Thoroughgood. They don't call them the Destroyers for nothing, lol.

Atually One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer speaks to me. The lyrics speak to the insanity that happens when you do not accept life on life's terms and drink to avoid it or escape it. No rent, no job, no girl....off to the bar.

I did that for many years. When life didn't go the way I wanted, I drank. Of course life didn't go the way I wanted every single day for 25 years...lol

The Eagles – Desperado, “you better let somebody love you”
The Eagles – Already Gone, “So many times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key”
Otis Redding – Sitting on the dock of the Bay, “I can't do what ten people tell me to do, So I guess I'll remain the same”
Bob Seger - Still the Same. This whole song was me. I was a runner and I ran every single time. Relationship to relationship. Faking and bluffing. I always thought I came out on top. I never knew how much I actually lost each time. I can say now that I am not still the same but I was for many, many years.

Katsmeeyow 04-23-2014 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by dSober (Post 4606390)
How about going to some meetings Katsmeeyow?

Ah yes...I'm thinking of it very much!

dSober 04-25-2014 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 4607140)
The Eagles – Already Gone, “So many times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key”

Yeah, took me a long time to find it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...where-god.html

dSober 04-25-2014 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow (Post 4610529)
Ah yes...I'm thinking of it very much!

Let your feet do the thinking for now!