SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello...? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/317710-hello.html)

paisley01 12-29-2013 05:49 AM

Hello...?

No idea what to write here...I guess I am still in some kind of denial...

I'm 34, female, single; I work full-time and like my job (mostly)...I don't drink during the week but I do binge very heavily on the weekends...I will drink two bottles or wine or more if I can.

I know I am a functioning alcoholic - I have put on 25 kilos in the last few years from drinking, I think. Not good.

Next year I am hoping to change my habits but I am VERY scared that I will not be able to stop the binge drinking...

Any advice would be great.

CODPlayer 12-29-2013 05:53 AM

Welcome to SR paisley01!

This is a great resource for people who would like to abstain from alcohol abuse. This website has been a great tool for my sobriety for the past year. Feel free to jump in and start reading other people's stories of what works for them.

Johnston 12-29-2013 05:55 AM

Welcome!

paisley01 12-29-2013 05:58 AM

Thanks guys! Nice to have lovely people on my side!

Gilmer 12-29-2013 06:02 AM

Snoop around, Paisley. You will find many people in similar situations.

Visit various times throughout the day or evening.

Check in and post here when you're tempted to binge. You'll find good people to help you resist.

You'll learn to develop a plan for resisting next time the urges strike.

Change your scenery! Go a different direction home from work!

There are lots of creative ideas for cutting off your habit's blood supply!

MIRecovery 12-29-2013 06:12 AM

Welcome, read a lot, post a lot. If you wish to quit do it today and start your journey to freedom.

hayley86 12-29-2013 06:13 AM

Welcome paisley01, SR is a great place for support. It's helped a lot with my recovery. Glad you have joined us. :)

Hawkeye13 12-29-2013 06:15 AM

Hi paisley and welcome!

I dropped three pants sizes and forty pounds by quitting drinking,
eating a paleo diet, and beginning an exercise program.

It was not that difficult and I had no idea how many calories I had been drinking with my binging.
I also ate crappy fattening food when drunk, which certainly didn't help.

It was fun to replace the beer and vodka calories with things like bacon and butter.
and still lose weight :)

You can do it--replace the negative habit with positive habits and you will succeed.

ActualAlcoholic 12-29-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 (Post 4374137)
It was fun to replace the beer and vodka calories with things like bacon and butter.
and still lose weight :)

You can do it--replace the negative habit with positive habits and you will succeed.

Wow, I never imagined recovery could be so... Delicious!

PurpleKnight 12-29-2013 10:59 AM

Hey paisley, welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

It can be a scary decision, but you'll start to see the benefits as time passes!! :)

PurpleLotus 12-29-2013 11:17 AM

Welcome Paisley01. I am new to SR too. All of the people here are very supportive. In addition, I have been to a few AA meetings and am going to check out other forms of support as I have proven to myself over and over I can't do it on my own. That's just me.

Do you binge alone on weekends? A lot of anxiety and not feeling comfortable in my own skin made me an isolated drinker at home and I seldom left the house on weekends. Could you find some activities to get you out of the house on the weekends so you don't have too much time to think about binging?

Dee74 12-29-2013 02:25 PM

Welcome Paisley - joining here is a great first step.
What are your plans to stay sober for the coming weekend? :)

D

Mags1 12-29-2013 02:29 PM

Hi Paisley, welcome to SR

Thepatman 12-29-2013 02:40 PM

Welcome to SR! Glad you made the healthy choice of addressing your issue.

Admitting something is wrong takes courage but it's also the first step to recovery.

Hawkeye13 12-29-2013 05:15 PM

Hi paisley;
just checking in--how are things?

paisley01 12-29-2013 09:36 PM

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Things are going ok...generally I am ok during the day but it's at night when I get bored and anxious and feel the need to drink...

I'm trying to keep focused and positive but I know it's going to be super hard :(

Oh - someone asked if I drink alone - Yes, a lot...and I don't go out much because I am quite shy and ashamed of how I have let myself go :(

Dee74 12-29-2013 09:44 PM

Post read and chat as much as you like here on SR at night Paisley :)

D

alphaomega 12-29-2013 09:55 PM

Welcome Paisley.

I, too, drank that much. Sometimes even a bit more. It was an awful existence that led me to this sanctuary.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html

TigerLili 12-29-2013 10:16 PM

I went from binge drinking on weekends to drinking heavily every day. It's a slippery slope. You're smart to recognise drinking may be a problem for you. Welcome to SR.

flutter 12-30-2013 06:30 AM

Welcome!! :)