SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Holy sh*t, i may need to start over tomorrow (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/315206-holy-sh-t-i-may-need-start-over-tomorrow.html)

cheeky1 12-02-2013 05:05 PM

Holy sh*t, i may need to start over tomorrow

Major major trigger for me is dealing with my kids.

suki44883 12-02-2013 05:16 PM

That's an excuse, not a trigger. You kids can't make you drink. If you drink, you are not safe to be taking care of your kids. Will it be easier to deal with your kids tomorrow when you're hung over? What will stop you from drinking then? Don't use your kids as an excuse to drink.

cheeky1 12-02-2013 05:22 PM

Thanks suki.

LindaLou 12-02-2013 05:23 PM

When my son got on my nerves, I would take a "time out". Not sure how old your kids are, but if they are old enough, lock yourself in the bathroom. Put some music on, light a candle, and soak in a bubble bath. Take some time just for you. You deserve it!

ScottFromWI 12-02-2013 05:41 PM

I drank when my kids got in my nerves. I also drank when my wife got on my nerves. I additionally drank when people at work got on my nerves. Or relatives...you get the point.

Turns out in every instance I was just drinking to get drunk and escape my responsibilities. And it never worked...they are always there when you sober up.

Anna 12-02-2013 05:55 PM

I hope you can get through this tonight and stay sober.

cheeky1 12-02-2013 06:01 PM

Thank you Anna, much much appreciated. I need encouragement, not a scolding :/

ZeldaFan 12-02-2013 06:16 PM

Don't drink! You can stay sober tonight! I don't have kids but I used everything as an excuse to drink and it got me nowhere. Just think of how good you will feel when you get into bed sober and ready for a hangover free morning!

peanutty 12-02-2013 06:22 PM

I actually think in the long run drinking can make my kid issues more irritating, not less. It might help in the moment, but it gives me a shorter overall fuse, KWIM?

MIRecovery 12-02-2013 06:26 PM

I have found that there is no problem a drink wont make worse

Indenial618 12-02-2013 06:28 PM

I can feel that way at times as well. But it's just an excuse for me to drink. Dealing with my kids hungover is far worse then locking myself in my room for a mommy time out. You got this! You'll feel great tomorrow when you get up and didn't drink!

waterboy68 12-02-2013 08:53 PM

As a father to 10 year old, 6 yr and 4 yr old, I know what you mean when your last nerve is shot and you just want it all to stop, but drinking only exacerbates the problem. I used to have a beer on the counter while bathing my youngest, just waiting for selfish "me time" to chill out. I was missing out on all of what raising kids is all about. Been there and done that, now glad to be on the right path. Just saying, I get it...

Brian316 12-02-2013 09:01 PM

I hear you, I have a lot of triggers myself. But not only can drinking make a bad problem worse, it sets us up for future problems that could be avoided by staying sober. Unfortunately I've had to learn this the hard way. Please don't drink!

AG2013 12-02-2013 09:14 PM

Cheeky just remember your not alone on this...its my biggest reason to start drinking too but I tell myself my sobriety is the most important thing. Kids are doing what they are meant to do...drive us freaking crazy! I have locked myself in my room for my own time outs many times. Drive them nuts with kindness..lol. Just dont drink!

Renarde 12-02-2013 09:16 PM

Once I got sober for an extended period, it became much easier to deal with the stresses of parenting. Hang in there because things will get easier!

SeaScape 12-02-2013 09:32 PM

Hang in there. They'll eventually grow up and leave to terrorize other people in this world :)

I feel for you. Kids, work, spouses - life is just stressful and difficult. Kids especially - they require so much care. I watched my mom raise three kids. She was a functional alcoholic. I don't know how she did it but she did. I love her and think the world of her.

Deckard 12-02-2013 09:40 PM

Kids are always learning.

I realized that my kids were learning major lessons from me on how to handle stress, and when I was drinking I was teaching them that booze was a great way to cope.

I no longer teach them this false lesson! :)

cheeky1 12-03-2013 09:40 AM

I made it through night 2! I had a bubble bath and ice cream and went to bed early. Disaster averted!

resolute50 12-03-2013 09:42 AM

Well done!!!:c011:

KateL 12-03-2013 10:08 AM

Great stuff. No one should scold you xxx