SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   a little over five months (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/312470-little-over-five-months.html)

steelersfan07 11-02-2013 10:03 PM

a little over five months

Hi, i have been reading posts for a few weeks but this is my first post. I celebrated five months a little over two weeks ago. I quit drinking because my liver was inflammed and causing me to throw up multiple times a day, and i developed nerve damage from drinking too. But now my liver is doing much better, and with physical therapy and abstinence the nerve damage is also much better. Initially when i got sober i thought if i was abstinent for long enough then i could be a normal drinker, but more recently i have started going to aa and read the big book and i know that that is not possible. I feel good most days, and very fortunate, i haven't had a craving in probably two months and i hope to stay this way

Coldfusion 11-02-2013 10:06 PM

Welcome, Steelersfan!

I have found the combination of AA and SoberRecovery to be very helpful in maintaining my sobriety.

Melina 11-02-2013 10:22 PM

Welcome, steelersfan!

It's very inspirational to read your experience. It gives hope that we can reverse some of the damage we've done to ourselves through drinking.

Thank you for sharing!

Dee74 11-02-2013 10:36 PM

welcome aboard steelersfan :)

D

least 11-03-2013 01:00 AM

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. :)

GracieLou 11-03-2013 01:15 AM

Welcome Steelersfan! Glad you are here, even if I am a Browns fan ;)

I am also a member of AA and it saved my life. It took a long time for me to understand and then accept it was the first drink that got me drunk. Every single time!

Most of the time I just drank but there were times I tried to control the amount I drank at a social functions or if I had planned to go out and it never worked. It was like torture. Once I had one, it was on.

Congrats on 5 months!

hayley86 11-03-2013 01:35 AM

Welcome steelersfan07, congratulations on 5 months sober. I'm glad you are feeling better. There is a lot of support here. Best wishes. :)

Jessicacat1 11-03-2013 01:36 AM

Hello Steelersfan- You are an inspiration, especially to people early on in their journey. You have given me hope and a feeling that I can achieve too xxx:tyou

tootsl1 11-03-2013 02:36 AM

Welcome SF, and congratulations on 5 months, that is fantastic! Surf the threads here, and see where you feel most at home, I think of SR as a humongous house with lots of rooms, all with different things happening inside, some I visit frequently, some I have no personal interest in, all are wholeheartedly welcoming and with one aim in mind. To aid and maintain recovery. I hope to see you around! ( the One Year and Under is a great place to start, but I only say that cox you will find me there!!)