SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   afraid (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/311806-afraid.html)

Try18 10-26-2013 04:59 PM

afraid

I am not sure what brought me to this forum but i really am at the end of my tether with myself. I have been in rehab twice and in and out of AA for about four years. I have had a pretty bad relapse and everything seems to be falling apart at the seams. I am frightened of my addiction and inability to cope. I live alone so my family don't know, i am.decieving everyone.. My finances are a mess, ive fallen seriously behind at University, and i just feel so lost and afraid. I am sober tonight but can only get a couple days max then back on it. I also have bulimia really bad and thats impacting on my life in the same way. I guess Im hoping for some identification and hope. I don't want this disease controlling me and putting me in an early grave.

Dee74 10-26-2013 05:09 PM

Hi Try18 :)

SR really helped me get my life together and turn things around - I know you'll find that kind of help here too.

Read around and post as much as you like - I think support is very important.

Welcome :)

D

Try18 10-26-2013 05:11 PM

Thankyou :)

ChrissieB 10-26-2013 05:15 PM

So glad you have reached out Try18, this site really helps, I also go to AA and I am staying sober which is great... Deep breaths, you have the desire to stop and that is amazing x

Try18 10-26-2013 05:20 PM

I am really quite scared. I can feel the alcohol leaving my system, i drank so much on Friday. I know withdrawals pass but they make me too scared to sleep.

Artful 10-26-2013 05:21 PM

:scorebad welcome Try 18
You don't know it yet but you are halfway home. You have decided you want to and or
have to change. Slavery is so....yesterday. I have 1 year and 3 months sober and never
knew life could be this different. Please remember there is hope and help waiting if you need it.
Artful

Try18 10-26-2013 05:24 PM

Thankyou Artful that made my eyes fill up!

CaiHong 10-26-2013 05:30 PM

Hi and welcome Try18,
It sounds like your life has become unmanageable and you clearly see that. You said you have been in and out of AA for a number of years, how involved were you with the 12 step program?
It's great that you are reaching out. keep reading and posting

All the best
caiHong

Ratso 10-26-2013 05:33 PM

Remember how you feel right now, and ask yourself if it's worth it? That is what helped get me sober.

Try18 10-26-2013 05:33 PM

I never completed the twelve steps. I was in a group and doing lots of meetings when i was staying sober. It just never lasts. I seem to be inclined towards self sabotage!

Try18 10-26-2013 05:34 PM

Thanks Ratso. It is definitely not worth it. It's insanity!!!

robgt350 10-26-2013 05:48 PM

Try,
i was in your shoes too, i was drinking too much in school. i washed out of some of my classes too. but you can get control of this, i did. i am honest it is difficult, but you can do it. i was in AA also. but i have to give this place alot of credit to my soberity today. i have almost 11 months as of now. there is a chat room here normally with people in it who all love to help any one.
please dont give up.

Try18 10-26-2013 06:01 PM

Thankyou for giving me hope, Robgt350.

robgt350 10-26-2013 06:03 PM

try

ur welcome

EndGameNYC 10-26-2013 06:51 PM

Hi Try18.

Bulimia and alcohol dependence is a potent and dangerous combination. If you're not currently doing so, I strongly recommend that you see a trained professional for your condition. A fair amount of people trained in the treatment of bulimia are also proficient in treating alcohol dependence.

Hevyn 10-26-2013 06:54 PM

Glad to meet you Try! :hug:

Be happy you are taking action now. I waited until my life was in ruins - always intended to quit but never made it until I almost lost my life. This won't happen to you! It feels so good to be free of it. You won't be missing a thing.

longbeachone 10-26-2013 10:45 PM

If you can get a couple of days, you can get more time. Planning is the key word, and lack of a plan is what causes failure so often in very early sobriety. Not surprising at all...I mean alcoholics and addicts a terrible at planning, unless it's planning where to get just one more drink.

You can do this!

Renarde 10-26-2013 11:05 PM

Have you ever seen the website "SomethingFishy?" It's a website very similar to this one but for eating disorder recovery. I am so glad you are here. Do you have a therapist or any professional support at the moment? Eating disorders are addictions too and need to be addressed too.

Try18 10-27-2013 03:11 AM

Thankyou for all your messages. Managed a few hours sleep on and off ...this morning that all familiar drenched bed sheets from sweating all that poison out.

I have a therapist but due to being so chaotic lately i had been missing appointments. I called him last week though and am seeing him this week. I also have a psychiatrist appointment in a fortnight.

I know i need to swallow my pride and get back to AA. I really scared of flunking my course but Will speak to someone there this week too.

It is a vicious cycle, the bulimia and the alcohol abuse. Sometimes i feel it is all just too much and i Will never be free of it, despite wanting to be. It is as if i am to scared to be present in life and want to be constantly numb. Does that make sense? I really want to change.

So glad i wrote here last night.

Johnston 10-27-2013 03:40 AM

Things will gradually improve if you stop.