SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hey everybody! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/311167-hey-everybody.html)

anonymick 10-20-2013 09:33 AM

Hey everybody!

Hey, I'm Mike...

I've been sober for 3 days, 9 hours, and 5 minutes.

So far, it's been okay. Some nagging, uncomfortable thoughts, some weird sweating and weird times, and some of the craziest dreams I've ever had.

So far, so good!

I guess it could be worse. I mean, I know it could... and I guess I'm lucky in that respect. But the scariest thought I'm having right now is "well, this isn't so bad. I could go back... the drying out part isn't that big of a deal..." but I know that if I go back, if I take another drink, that might be the one that really gets me. It could be the one that kills me.

My drink of choice has been wine. Lots of it. At least two bottles a night for... who knows how long. I have a high tolerance and am a pretty functional kind of guy... except for the few times people have said I must have had a "full night" because they can still smell it on me. Yeah... pretty full... here at my place with the TV on and the Big Gulp of Merlot next to me. Fun times.

I'm planning to get into AA, get a sponsor, go that route... I live in a small town but at least there are a decent number of meetings. I subscribed to the Grapevine, ordered a dozen books on Recovery off Amazon, and have told my family and friends that from here on out, things are going to be different.

And I'm desperately trying to convince myself of that... but I'm still more than a little terrified that I'll be relapsing here any minute now, and it'll be worse than ever before.

But for now, one day... hour... minute at a time. Just for today. I'm really, really, trying.

Good to meet ya!

Mike

Tang 10-20-2013 10:17 AM

Mike- you sound like you have a good plan. Make sure to stick with it.

I've had a few people tell me similar things - full night. Of course sometimes I'd justify it if I was out till the wee hours with friends or worse my customers . usually it would be drinking at home by myself after my wife went to bed. Best of luck!

wiscsober 10-20-2013 10:23 AM

:welcome Mike

Fantastic what you are doing.

Along with AA,
SR is also a big part of my recovery.

It is pleasing to hear you will be attending AA meetings.

I think the more people we tell the more responsible we can become
and there will be more people who will want to help us.

soberhawk 10-20-2013 10:25 AM

Nice to meet you Mike.

Why bother do it again, it will not be easier?

Glad you joined us.

HonestlyTrying 10-20-2013 10:36 AM

Good for you, Mike! You ordered a bunch of recovery books and they will help you on your way not only to staying sober, but to living happily without the using. In the beginning yes, one day, hour, and minute at a time. Alot of people in recovery told me it would get easier, and boy, I did not believe it. It took a long time for me to feel like it was better. Do yourself a favor and don't expect things to change fast. There is a book called "Living Sober", it has all kinds of things to do that help occupy your time and to keep from thinkin' about drinkin'. Get the number of a recovery hotline and have it handy if you need someone to talk you out of picking up again. Sometimes the voice a real person is needed to get past cravings. It might be scary to call a complete stranger, but if you don't have someone you know that you can call, they are there 24/7 to help.
Take it easy and treat yourself just like you would treat a sick friend, with understanding and compassion.

hayley86 10-20-2013 10:48 AM

Welcome Mike, congrats on 3 days sober. It's good that you have a plan. SR is great for support. Glad you have joined us. :)

least 10-20-2013 11:06 AM

:welcome to SR! You've got a good plan in place. You can do this! :)

lommey 10-20-2013 11:07 AM

Welcome mike glad youve joined the team

anonymick 10-20-2013 12:04 PM

Thanks everybody! This seems like a pretty welcoming place. It's neat to see locations from all over the world - our addictions are no respecter of persons, or places. I really appreciate the welcome!

Hevyn 10-20-2013 03:19 PM

Proud of you for those 3+ days. :) We all understand how hard it is. I like your attitude anonymick.

darkfaith 10-20-2013 03:39 PM

Well done on 3 days, I'm just going into day 4 myself. As everyone has said this is a great site, supportive and full of great stories and information. It has helped just jumping on and reading when I hear that nagging voice.

Keep us posted on how your going :)

ElijahNoahColt 10-20-2013 04:03 PM

Welcome friend,

glad to see that you've carved out a plan for yourself :) we look forward to hearing about how well you'll be doing on your journey

best wishes
-ENC

firstymer 10-20-2013 07:58 PM

Welcome to SR Mike. I am glad you are here with us. Hang in there. Grind out these next few days and I promise that things will get easier. Good luck.

dizzychainsaw 10-20-2013 08:12 PM

Welcome! I also spent many nights drinking alone at home. It's no way to live. AA is great. Its true when they say "it works if you work it".

GotGrace 10-20-2013 08:16 PM

Welcome! SR has been a lifesaver for me. Stick around, post all you want/need, and hang in there!

anonymick 10-21-2013 06:43 AM

Thanks everyone! I think having SR in my life yesterday got me to where I am right now... 4 days, 6 hours, 22 minutes. Pretty incredible to see that, I have to say.

Hope you all have a GREAT day!

liberated 10-21-2013 01:06 PM

Welcome! What a great attitude! SR has truly been a life saver for me- checking in daily, reading posts and advice- heck even passing along "inside jokes". Its a great bunch I thank God for every day! Glad you are joining us!