Notices

Hey everybody!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Hey everybody!

Hey, I'm Mike...

I've been sober for 3 days, 9 hours, and 5 minutes.

So far, it's been okay. Some nagging, uncomfortable thoughts, some weird sweating and weird times, and some of the craziest dreams I've ever had.

So far, so good!

I guess it could be worse. I mean, I know it could... and I guess I'm lucky in that respect. But the scariest thought I'm having right now is "well, this isn't so bad. I could go back... the drying out part isn't that big of a deal..." but I know that if I go back, if I take another drink, that might be the one that really gets me. It could be the one that kills me.

My drink of choice has been wine. Lots of it. At least two bottles a night for... who knows how long. I have a high tolerance and am a pretty functional kind of guy... except for the few times people have said I must have had a "full night" because they can still smell it on me. Yeah... pretty full... here at my place with the TV on and the Big Gulp of Merlot next to me. Fun times.

I'm planning to get into AA, get a sponsor, go that route... I live in a small town but at least there are a decent number of meetings. I subscribed to the Grapevine, ordered a dozen books on Recovery off Amazon, and have told my family and friends that from here on out, things are going to be different.

And I'm desperately trying to convince myself of that... but I'm still more than a little terrified that I'll be relapsing here any minute now, and it'll be worse than ever before.

But for now, one day... hour... minute at a time. Just for today. I'm really, really, trying.

Good to meet ya!

Mike
Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mike- you sound like you have a good plan. Make sure to stick with it.

I've had a few people tell me similar things - full night. Of course sometimes I'd justify it if I was out till the wee hours with friends or worse my customers . usually it would be drinking at home by myself after my wife went to bed. Best of luck!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mike

Fantastic what you are doing.

Along with AA,
SR is also a big part of my recovery.

It is pleasing to hear you will be attending AA meetings.

I think the more people we tell the more responsible we can become
and there will be more people who will want to help us.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Mike.

Why bother do it again, it will not be easier?

Glad you joined us.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you, Mike! You ordered a bunch of recovery books and they will help you on your way not only to staying sober, but to living happily without the using. In the beginning yes, one day, hour, and minute at a time. Alot of people in recovery told me it would get easier, and boy, I did not believe it. It took a long time for me to feel like it was better. Do yourself a favor and don't expect things to change fast. There is a book called "Living Sober", it has all kinds of things to do that help occupy your time and to keep from thinkin' about drinkin'. Get the number of a recovery hotline and have it handy if you need someone to talk you out of picking up again. Sometimes the voice a real person is needed to get past cravings. It might be scary to call a complete stranger, but if you don't have someone you know that you can call, they are there 24/7 to help.
Take it easy and treat yourself just like you would treat a sick friend, with understanding and compassion.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike, congrats on 3 days sober. It's good that you have a plan. SR is great for support. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've got a good plan in place. You can do this!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome mike glad youve joined the team
Old 10-20-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Thanks everybody! This seems like a pretty welcoming place. It's neat to see locations from all over the world - our addictions are no respecter of persons, or places. I really appreciate the welcome!
Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you for those 3+ days. We all understand how hard it is. I like your attitude anonymick.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on 3 days, I'm just going into day 4 myself. As everyone has said this is a great site, supportive and full of great stories and information. It has helped just jumping on and reading when I hear that nagging voice.

Keep us posted on how your going
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The Kid

Welcome friend,

glad to see that you've carved out a plan for yourself we look forward to hearing about how well you'll be doing on your journey

best wishes
-ENC
Old 10-20-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Mike. I am glad you are here with us. Hang in there. Grind out these next few days and I promise that things will get easier. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Welcome! I also spent many nights drinking alone at home. It's no way to live. AA is great. Its true when they say "it works if you work it".
Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR has been a lifesaver for me. Stick around, post all you want/need, and hang in there!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Newbie

Thanks everyone! I think having SR in my life yesterday got me to where I am right now... 4 days, 6 hours, 22 minutes. Pretty incredible to see that, I have to say.

Hope you all have a GREAT day!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! What a great attitude! SR has truly been a life saver for me- checking in daily, reading posts and advice- heck even passing along "inside jokes". Its a great bunch I thank God for every day! Glad you are joining us!