SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/310569-day-1-a.html)

countingdays 10-14-2013 10:36 AM

Day 1

My head is killing me.

roomsforall 10-14-2013 10:39 AM

Hang in there! It's worth it!

ScottFromWI 10-14-2013 10:44 AM

Welcome to SR. You don't have to have days like this anymore if you don't want to. Read lots and let us know how we can help.

hayley86 10-14-2013 10:45 AM

Welcome countingdays, it gets easier. There is lots of support here. Wishing you well. :)

liberated 10-14-2013 10:48 AM

It DOES get better- hang in there and welcome!

Mentium 10-14-2013 10:50 AM

May your determination last longer than your hangover!!

Seriously - stay and read a bit!

serious 10-14-2013 10:53 AM

try to get to days 2,3,4 ...1,000 ...
you don't want to be stuck in the cycle.

day one has always been the worst for me by far. that's when addiction is strong and the evil voices will try force you to continue.
but you also have to be strong... and the voices will quiet down.

(easier said than done, i know). we are here for your support.

Toffee1 10-14-2013 10:53 AM

Remember this hangover and how you feel right now. It may help you later if you get a craving. Hope you soon feeling better. Drink plenty of water.

countingdays 10-14-2013 10:58 AM

Thank you everyone. I'm so mad at myself. I had 10 days and now here I am. I feel so broken. Like I have lost myself. So stuck in this ridiculous cycle.

Hawkeye13 10-14-2013 01:30 PM

It takes most people a few tries to stay quit. The fact is you are here and you are trying again and that is the beginning of success :You_Rock_

Mustdoit 10-14-2013 04:20 PM

Keep going it is worth it.

countingdays 10-14-2013 05:43 PM

I Can't wait for tomorrow to come. My aspirin has worn off and the Tylenol I just took has nit kicked in. I seriously feel like my brain is to big for my scull. The pain is excruciating. My biggest fear is that one day I will not wake up after a binge. I don't know how my body withstands the abuse. What a horrible way for a child to lose their mother. I don't want to die, but alcohol is killing me.

Itchy 10-14-2013 06:30 PM

It is slow suicide. Alcohol doesn't jump into our mouth. It is inanimate, and cannot have intent, good, or bad. For me, to quit, I had to take full responsibility and stop thinking I drank because of the actions of others, external or internal pain, or that alcohol manipulated me. I have no issue with using those schemas as convenient expressions of feeling like there is an opponent. If there were a devil involved it needs a deal, we have to do it. If there are voices inside our own head it is us, and we have to do it. If thinking that my drinking was externally caused, that alcohol could mesmerize me from the store into going and picking up, and I was helpless when external temptations to drink occurred, well I could see a lot of revolving door relapses.

I pick up. Not a voice or demon.

My mind was like an unmade bed while drinking. I made my mind up. I bypassed the whole external construct as a cause and did whatever it took because my mind was no linger unmade.

I made my mind up.

countingdays 10-14-2013 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=Itchy;4238731]It is slow suicide.

I agree. What I should have said is that I am killing myself with alcohol. I guess my mind has been unmade for a long time. I have one choice and that choice is not to take the first drink.

happyhour 10-14-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by countingdays (Post 4238053)
I feel so broken

counting days, welcome to SR - it takes usually more than a swing or two.

your comment, is actually OK. admitting that you are broken, and that you are in a spot of accepting help, changing your life, taking advice, and stopping your addictive habits requires you to surrender, and that's good.

continuing to grapple with booze is like a pillow fight, but one of you has rocks in their pillowcase (i won't tell you which one :))

you can do this, thanks for showing up and posting...

escapist 10-14-2013 07:22 PM

Take a nap. Take an aspirin. Don't take a drink.

Acheleus 10-14-2013 07:28 PM

Welcome to SR. You will feel better.

neferkamichael 10-14-2013 07:35 PM

Countingdays, day 1? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. My head hasn't killed me in over a 1000 days now. Rootin for ya. :egypt:

ZeldaFan 10-14-2013 07:41 PM

Itchy and happyhour, your comments were both very helpful to read :)

countingdays, welcome to SR and well done on taking the first step!

countingdays 10-15-2013 06:59 AM

I survived day 1 and my horrible headache is no more. Still feel a bit foggy and definitely feeling blah and down on myself, but happy to be connecting.