SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The vain side of sobriety! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/300196-vain-side-sobriety.html)

GymJunkie 07-07-2013 04:43 PM

The vain side of sobriety!

I'm on day 8.

When I woke up this morning, apart from feeling grateful that I'm not hungover and shaking, I noticed some changes when I looked in the mirror.

The swelling and redness around my nose is almost gone.

My eyes aren't puffy and red any more.

My face has actually changed shape!

I used to wake up to dry, flaking skin around my chin- now it's smooth and hydrated. The fine lines that were appearing have all but vanished!

Now that I'm not drinking until I fall asleep at 8pm every night, I have been following a good skin care routine, and taking supplements. The difference is incredible! The better sleep must be helping too.

I gave myself last week off from the gym, as I was feeling pretty awful while I detoxed. Today, it's Monday morning, and I can hardly wait to hit the gym and see what my body can do when I'm pumping it full of herbal tea instead of wine every night!

Petecrab 07-07-2013 04:49 PM

Hit the gym ! Not too hard after a week off though! I went back on day 4 and got fairly dizzy!

AlexaDaly 07-07-2013 04:53 PM

Awesome! Results you can see are always inspiring! :You_Rock_

secretary 07-07-2013 04:56 PM

I keep waiting for my eyes to be white (instead of bloodshot) again, but maybe they need more than 7 days after all those years of alcohol!!!!

Petecrab 07-07-2013 04:57 PM

Yeah! Or less bloody sun!

GymJunkie 07-07-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Petecrab (Post 4056804)
Yeah! Or less bloody sun!

An Englishman complaining about sun?

Petecrab 07-07-2013 05:02 PM

It happens twice a year!

Nighthawk8820 07-07-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by GymJunkie (Post 4056759)
I'm on day 8.

When I woke up this morning, apart from feeling grateful that I'm not hungover and shaking, I noticed some changes when I looked in the mirror.

The swelling and redness around my nose is almost gone.

My eyes aren't puffy and red any more.

My face has actually changed shape!

I used to wake up to dry, flaking skin around my chin- now it's smooth and hydrated. The fine lines that were appearing have all but vanished!

Now that I'm not drinking until I fall asleep at 8pm every night, I have been following a good skin care routine, and taking supplements. The difference is incredible! The better sleep must be helping too.

I gave myself last week off from the gym, as I was feeling pretty awful while I detoxed. Today, it's Monday morning, and I can hardly wait to hit the gym and see what my body can do when I'm pumping it full of herbal tea instead of wine every night!

Isnt it amazing? Our bodies are such awesome things when we allow them to function free of toxins. I never thought I would get my bod back when I was drinking and then stuffing my face with junk after bar close. I got it back and then some, and I couldnt be more thrilled. Vain? maybe, but I worked for it. Thanks for the awesome post.

silentrun 07-07-2013 05:19 PM

Good for you. Alcohol is so damaging and those first changes back to normal are exciting. At my age I am just happy to feel 20 years younger. It keeps happening the longer you go.

AlexaDaly 07-07-2013 05:25 PM

I thought for sure I would drop some weight when I quit drinking, taking in 800 fewer calories each day, but no! Haven't lost a pound. I must be compensating by eating more, especially at night :(

hypochondriac 07-08-2013 12:30 AM

I don't think that's vain, this is pure health stuff. The skin is the bodies biggest organ and I drank so much I had scales on the front of my legs. Urgh. To be honest even after a year I am still noticing improvements. The puffiness and the redness was the first to go, it just gets better from then on :)